Shark tooth collecting in Maryland.

ToothMan

Hello all, ToothMan here. This is my first trip report! I just joined this great forum. Stumbled upon it the other day. I have only been collecting about a year, and mostly fossilized sharks teeth at that. I also collect ray plates, I have one porpoise tooth, two crocodile teeth, some crab claw fossils, mostly marine creatures but focus mainly on shark teeth. I'm looking forward to expanding my searches for more than just teeth. Here is a link https://imgur.com/gallery/CO2q2gg to an imgur gallery from my most recent trip. Trip report below!

I have some great teeth in my collection but wanted to report on my best finds to date, which ocurred over the past two days. I had some exceptional luck, paired with a keen eye, resulting in my first two Megalodon teeth ever found. 

I live in Solomon's, Md, and frequent some of the same sites I'm sure some of you do. Those being Calvert Cliffs, Brownies beach, flag ponds, etc. I also hunt Cove point a lot. My grandparents have a house down there so I frequent that beach often. Ive had my best finds so far there over the past two days. Last night I was there at low tide around 10:30 and found my first Megalodon tooth! I was ecstatic! I didnt think you could find those here. I thought they were mostly at calvert cliffs but I guess some wash down. I found a bunch of smaller teeth as well.

Then today, I went back around noon for low tide again. Did my usual walk up to the point, picking up a bunch of small teeth along the way couple with a few hemi's here and there. I walked around past the lightouse and began finding some really nice mako's! I absolutely love finding mako teeth. 

Found some in the waves crashing and even up at the high tide line. The water,was still a little cold today but bearable. I wore shorts and sandals and took my sandals off, walking thru knee deep water one way searching, and up on the beach looking on the way back. I went home, happy with these finds. But I decided to return around 5 even though the tide was coming back in and I didnt expect to find much. But boy was I wrong.

By this point it was really windy and the waves were really large, crashing and moving material all over the place. This is good as it turns up more stuff, but its harder to collect. You have to be quick. I felt like the karate kid snatching a fly out of my trainers hand diving in to grab teeth I had just spotted before they were swept away by the surf! Many were lost that I couldnt grab quick enough.

I was picking up quite a few teeth though, a bunch of makos and some nice hemi's, when I saw a huge mako! A wave had just crashed on it, I let it recede, spotted ir again, and snatched it up before another wave could sweep it away. I had been out for hours now, and was really happy with my finds. I decided to take one last walk around the point and then I saw my second meg ever sticking up out of the sand. Only the top gum line was exposed and my heart jumped as I knew exactly what it was and it looked big! I scooped it up out of the sand and cleaned the barnacles off it. I was and am so happy! Never thought id be finding Megalodon teeth. Ive had the fossil hunting bug for about two years now. It really is addicting. Happy hunting, all.

-ToothMan

4MDTPKe.jpg

4xgQfTj.jpg

bVsDhgZ.jpg

d2BtkwI.jpg

FXENfyi.jpg

lhTHPF4.jpg

pFpa1mL.jpg

Z04YS62.jpg

ZBHfeMC.jpg

• I found this Informative 12

As they say, "We want pictures of the goods, or it didn't happen!"

3 minutes ago, caldigger said:

As they say, "We want pictures of the goods, or it didn't happen!"

Does my link not work? Im still unsure as the best way to post pics here..I tried an imgur link does it not work? Let me know!

Oops! Sorry, I must have missed it.

Nice finds from a stroll on the beach!

2 minutes ago, ToothMan said:

Does my link not work? Im still unsure as the best way to post pics here..I tried an imgur link does it not work? Let me know!

The link works. 
Most people don't wish to leave the Forum to look at pictures. 

Also, many links are temporary. The accounts go inactive, or get deleted. 

That leaves us with a post with no pictures to show. Always better to post directly to the Forum.  ;)

( I added them for you. )

PS- Welcome to the Forum. :) 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Your trip report was great and your finds are not shabby either!:D

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Thanks, Tim for incorporating the images into the post. Some nice looking finds there, ToothMan. Welcome to the forum (and the addiction). :)

Looking forward to seeing more of your trip reports and seeing your finds snatched from between the waves.

Cheers.

-Ken

22 minutes ago, ToothMan said:

I felt like the karate kid snatching a fly out of my trainers hand diving in to grab teeth I had just spotted before they were swept away by the surf

Yeah, all those who hunt on land have the luxury of their fossils not swimming away from them!

Epic megs!:meg: The hastalises arent half-bad either!

All mine have been somewhat lack-luster, but they are from Brownies so it’s usually pretty picked over. Can’t wait till I can get out and explore the more secluded bits of the bay. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Very nice finds. You have a couple of nice Carcharodon hastalis there. Welcome aboard.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

12 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

The link works. 
Most people don't wish to leave the Forum to look at pictures. 

Also, many links are temporary. The accounts go inactive, or get deleted. 

That leaves us with a post with no pictures to show. Always better to post directly to the Forum.  ;)

( I added them for you. )

PS- Welcome to the Forum. :) 

That is great to know! I'm used to Reddit and posting everything to imgur. Ill try and see if I can figure out posting directly to the forum. I am on mobile, though. Any suggestions on the best way to do that? I tried at first and it said my pictures were too large only 3.95mb allowed or something.

Try cropping them or send them to yourself through e-mail and then reduce size. 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

3 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Try cropping them or send them to yourself through e-mail and then reduce size. 

Good idea! Thanks! And thank you all for the warm welcome! I look forward to many more field reports and sharing my ever growing collection with all of you! And maybe ill run into some of you fellow marylanders while hunting!

No problem. I use my cellphone to post all my pictures. Somtimes I run into trouble with file size if I am trying to post a pic of scenery or something large at a distance.  I hardly ever run into problems posting pics of my finds!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

17 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Yeah, all those who hunt on land have the luxury of their fossils not swimming away from them!

Epic megs!:meg: The hastalises arent half-bad either!

All mine have been somewhat lack-luster, but they are from Brownies so it’s usually pretty picked over. Can’t wait till I can get out and explore the more secluded bits of the bay. 

Yeah I got out there early today. Going early or really late is the key! And I work nights and weekends so weekday mornings I get to hunt when there's not too many people out! I still can't believe I found these megs. Almost doesnt seem real. I mean theyre no 6 inchers like you can find diving down south but I'm really happy with them!

Nice report and some stunning finds! :)

Life's good! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

The way you describe your hunting style, I'd recommend carrying a sand flea rake with you (like Venice beach hunters). I would make easy to catch those big ones in the surf.

Swell megs and I love that big Mako too. Congratulations and thanks for posting them. Good luck finding more.

Teeth are likely washing down from just north at Calvert Cliffs State park and the gas docks.  It's only a mile or so to where the cliffs start peaking up.  Could also be from the formation itself which you are standing on at Cedar Point.  If you dug down through 3 or 4 feet of sand you'd hit the clay.  If it's anything like the formations to the north the formation gets exposed periodically with the sand movement and teeth/fossils wash out/up from the top (i.e. the river bottom).  Clay boulders that break off and roll around on the bottom will also carry good teeth for miles.  I've found pristine teeth over a mile away from exposed formations but clay balls are present so hence the quality teeth.  

All that said... those are still some super quality teeth for being found that far down from the cliffs.  Usually you're lucky to get a fragment or a smaller 1 to 2 incher.  3 inch teeth not so much and 2 of them?  Dang.  Great finds.

• I found this Informative 3

Awesome! I'm new to the forum too. I'll be heading out that way in about a week to see what I can find as well. Lovely megs too! The only one I ever found was here in VA and was split right down the middle.

On 5/3/2018 at 8:58 PM, WhodamanHD said:

Can’t wait till I can get out and explore the more secluded bits of the bay. 

;)

The Hunt for the Hemipristine continues!

~Hoppe hunting!~