The skull you see in the photos was collected in 1916 from what is known today as Dinosaur Provincial Park, AB by famous paleontologist C.H. Sternberg for the NHM London.  The remains were described as 'nothing but rubbish' by palaeontologist A.S. Woodward and sat in collections for the best part of a century.

It was not until the nineties that a team of scientists, including Andy Farke and NHM dinolab found the remains and realized that they might be of a new species! As with most centrosaurine ceratopsians, the key was in the pattern of ornamentation (spikes and hooks) at the rear of the parietal, the bone forming the central section of the frill. Although fragmentary and in poor condition, enough unique features were identified to confirm it as a new species. Named Spinops sterbergorum in honor of Sternberg, who first discovered it 102 year ago.

Original paper

http://www.app.pan.pl/article/item/app20100121.html

Photos and information courtesy of Andrew Knapp

DcVicbIVAAASJx2.thumb.jpeg.b6683c8edf1675778b70303638ff5d49.jpegDcVjQVsV4AAJf7R.thumb.jpeg.c333b8f830ff0b07dcd808289ea74850.jpegDcVkBREV0AAQp-q.thumb.jpeg.6a8f1b3170cccc34100c01bfc5a097e4.jpeg

That's a rather neat skull, @Troodon. Wasn't it Mark Graham (NHMUK) who prepped the specimen?

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

3 minutes ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

That's a rather neat skull, @Troodon. Wasn't it Mark Graham (NHMUK) who prepped the specimen?

Very cool skull indeed and Mark Graham is a co-author in the paper 

I love new species of dinosaur! :)

Thanks for posting, though it says date of discovery 1915 on the photo of the original paperwork, not 1916? 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

42 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I love new species of dinosaur! :)

Thanks for posting, though it says date of discovery 1915 on the photo of the original paperwork, not 1916? 

The original paperwork was improperly noted...good observation.  Publication says 1916 

Also collected by the  Sternberg family was this limp Edmontosaurus.   This was the first dino skeleton to be mounted in Canada.  Sternberg described it as looking like a dead dog, a real classic

DcW3Bh9VAAY6A4f.jpeg.6416bff2054481f5a35856b40f6f5a63.jpeg

Thank Jordan Mallon for info and photo

This picture is from the Field Museum feed.

Taken c 1915 to 1921 the men are moving the Field Meseum from Jackson park to there current location . I think the train engine was delayed that day becuase somebody had left a stegosaurus on the track but you can see they did there best to carry on :D

image.jpeg

I'm rather surprised Phil Currie wasn't a coauthor of the paper… Usually, something that involves Dinosaur Provincial Park and Ceratopsia is bound to have P. Currie as part of the researchers. Oh well. Maybe next time - after all, DPP does keep turning up material every year :hammer01:

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

21 hours ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

I'm rather surprised Phil Currie wasn't a coauthor of the paper… Usually, something that involves Dinosaur Provincial Park and Ceratopsia is bound to have P. Currie as part of the researchers. Oh well. Maybe next time - after all, DPP does keep turning up material every year :hammer01:

Phil is typically involved with Theropod material.  Darren Tanke represented the Tyrrell being a Ceratopsian expert as well as Michael Ryan

Archived