Possible jurassic (Hexacorallia) coral?

Flanker

Hello there,

I have found very interesting pebble in quartenary river deposits and I was wondering whether anyone could help me with its identification. I do not know how old it is, I do not even know coral anatomy. I just found it interesting, rare (never seen it there until now) and decided to bring it home. I live in Czech republic, central Europe. Here it is (captured wet to highlight the structure).

41843588762_603e9d4c37_z.jpg

Silicified coral pebble (wet to highlight the structure), possibly Fungistraea cf. blaburensis (Hexacorallia) by Petr Hykš, on Flickr

Field of view: 65 x 40 mm

The pebble appears to be some kind of silicite, possibly chert (there are some tiny quartz crystals further on the left.. but maybe its calcite, I do not really know even though I definitely should! The rock just appears like a silicite to me). I am not an expert on corals, so I have done just a quick search and found out that similar, negative imprints have been found in jurassic of Štramberk - Fungistraea cf. blaburensis (Hexacorallia). See this image:

obrazek.php?id=2202-17-7-2015.jpeg

What do you think?

Welcome to the forum! :tff:

This does seem to be a coral, but I'm no coral person. Wait for the coral . :P

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Well, it is a coral. Probably, it is a mould. I am not sure, I would need to see more details. If it is not a mould, it could belong to Craterastraea Beauvais, 1978 or Polyphyllastrea Orbigny, 1849.

Fungiastrea is poorly defined; the type of the type species is a poorly preserved specimen from the Turonian of France.

The second picture is a mould, and it does not belong to Fungiastrea or a related genus, it is (as you can see in the inverted picture) a Clausastrea. 

CORAL.JPG

Thank you very much! It is a mould. Is it possible it could be mesozoic?

I was thinking that you guess that both are from the Stramberk Type Limestone that range from Tithonian to Valanginian. Craterastraea and Polyphyllastrea are both Late Jurassic (but cannot be excluded that they reach into the Early Cretaceous). Clausastrea is Mid Jurassic to Early Cretaceous.

If the first coral is not Jurassic, it might be Polypylloseris that reaches from the Valanginian to the Cenomanian.

Archived