Fossil association: What all does it entail?

MeargleSchmeargl

Everyone knows associated fossils, specifically of associated bones (bones that come from the same creature). I was wondering what association among fossils extend to. Can 2 individual echinoids found in close proximity in the same layer be considered associated? 

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

I usually take it to mean that there was some kind of relationship (symbiotic, predatory) between species that is then preserved in the fossil record. For example, the gastropod Spinyplatyceras arkonense commonly found being affixed to the crinoid Arthrocantha. 

To take it in a more colloquial sense, perhaps it is enough to cover those instances where species are found together, possibly touching due to any manner of circumstances, such as wave action or any other deposition scenario. 

To be honest, I'm not sure if there is a technical palaeontological term of "association," but I'm sure someone will be along to provide one if there is! 

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

You can define it in many ways in a non-scientific way.   here is a topic looking at different species together.

Depends on the context. When I say associated, I mean they lived together. Could also mean they are from the same animal, though perhaps not articulated. That’s just me though. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

To call fossils "associated" implies that something noteworthy can be deduced from their proximity (beyond "they were fossilized close together).

• I found this Informative 3

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

There are adult specimens found together with juvenile, babies or even unborn specimens. For example Ichthyosaurs, Oviraptor... So yes, in some cases they can be considered associated. I would call it associated when they can learn us something about behaviour, relations...

• I found this Informative 2

49 minutes ago, Auspex said:

To call fossils "associated" implies that something noteworthy can be deduced from their proximity (beyond "they were fossilized close together).

That's about it in a nutshell from my point of view also.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I believe the scientific terms for hand collecting is either "twofer" or threefer".  I hope that this helps.

39 minutes ago, goatinformationist said:

I believe the scientific terms for hand collecting is either "twofer" or threefer".  I hope that this helps.

HUH? :headscratch:

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

I have always thought associated meant that they were found in close proximity, ie. a plate with clam, brachiopod, ammonite and crinoids would be an association plate and bones from animals that are disarticulated, but found together, would be associated bones.

This would also apply to an articulated skeleton, but would be redundant to say "an articulated skeleton of associated bones"

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Geographical proximity of fossils does NOT automatically imply stratigraphical,ecological,taphonomical or temporal proximity.

"Association" has no geological (/paleontological) meaning,as such.  

A "census assemblage" is a in situ fossilized paleocommunity,representing (pene)contemporaneous* biota.

*Defined/cricumscribed as : at the desired and/or specified level of resolution

Most accumulations of fossils are a stratigraphic mixture,with an unknown temporal resolution in the majority of cases.

• 1 month later...
On May 4, 2018 at 8:56 AM, Troodon said:

You can define it in many ways in a non-scientific way.   here is a topic looking at different species together.

Hi Troodon,

Yeah, I like that thread.  I try to pick up matrix pieces with more than one species on it so it was great to see someone start a thread devoted to photos of them.

Jess