Oxytropidoceras

An Ancient Horse Is Unearthed in a Utah Backyard

Paleontologists recently determined that a skeleton 

discovered during a landscaping project belonged 

to a horse from the Pleistocene Era. New Year Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/03/science/horse-skeleton-utah.html

Utah Family Found Ancient Horse Skeleton In Their 

Backyard By Rex Austin, Great Lakes Ledger, May 3, 2018 

https://greatlakesledger.com/2018/05/03/utah-family-found-ancient-horse-skeleton-in-their-backyard/

Fossil Friday Roundup: May 4, 2018

by Sarah Gibson, Fossil Friday Roundup, May 4, 2018

http://blogs.plos.org/paleocomm/2018/05/04/fossil-friday-roundup-may-4-2018/

Yours,

Paul H.

• I found this Informative 2

Amazing find indeed, but I have to ask a stupid question based on the end of the article: can people really get tax deductions for donating specimens to museums? I find that a little odd, to be honest. 

11 hours ago, thelivingdead531 said:

Amazing find indeed, but I have to ask a stupid question based on the end of the article: can people really get tax deductions for donating specimens to museums? I find that a little odd, to be honest. 

Get a written appraisal from a dealer, get a letter of receipt from the tax exempt recipient, get a bona fide legal tax writeoff.  No point in leaving $$$ on the table to be squandered by Uncle Sam.  

It may seem odd at first because it is a donation of “found money”, but keep in mind that it is an object with intrinsic value that often requires outlay of travel expenses and involves intellectual property in the form of acquired site knowledge and collecting acumen that the institution gets for free.  Viewed as such, you can see the value stream adding up.

• I found this Informative 2

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

14 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Get a written appraisal from a dealer, get a letter of receipt from the tax exempt recipient, get a bona fide legal tax writeoff.  No point in leaving $$$ on the table to be squandered by Uncle Sam.  

It may seem odd at first because it is a donation of “found money”, but keep in mind that it is an object with intrinsic value that often requires outlay of travel expenses and involves intellectual property in the form of acquired site knowledge and collecting acumen that the institution gets for free.  Viewed as such, you can see the value stream adding up.

That is a very good point, I had not thought of that. Thank you for enlightening me!