Jump to content
Fossildude19

May 2018 Finds of the Month

Recommended Posts

caterpillar

It's 450mm long

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Raggedy Man
On 5/15/2018 at 12:04 PM, caterpillar said:

Found few years ago but just finished to prep, after a long, long,.....long prep

Palaeotherium magnum

upper eocene (ludien)

Southwest France

450mm

The mandible

 

 

You left out the date found and the dates for prep. Im thinking the majority of the prep didnt take place this month as to the rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
caterpillar

Not the majority but the more exciting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KimTexan
On 5/18/2018 at 11:26 AM, Ludwigia said:

I found this Trigonia costata bivalve on May 12th during a paleontological excursion to a site called the Kahlenberg in Ringsheim in the Rhine Valley in southwestern Germany. It has both valves intact and is extremely well-preserved, which is why I've decided to take part in this contest again after a long absence. Preparation time was about 2 hours and it was finished on May 17th.

Stratigraphy: Middle Jurassic, Early Bajocian, Humphriesi-Oolite Formation, humphresianum zone. It measures 6x4.5cm.

 

L332a.thumb.jpg.89648fc2f834aa985278aeea13dffcc3.jpg               L332b.thumb.jpg.c496a05f023b75923d04f7ce3ba888b1.jpg

 

L332c.thumb.jpg.520897aa6373ce04734c81a42a1adce8.jpg              

 

That is lovely. Very nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KimTexan
On 5/16/2018 at 3:13 PM, Kane said:

Found: April 29, 2018

Name: Eldredgeops rana

Age/Formation: Mid Devonian, Moscow Fm

Location: Western NY

 

A common bug, but a decent size for this location (4.6 cm). Preparation performed on May 5 and 6. Was found cleaved in two, secured with glue. Missing a few pleural shell parts from initial fracture.

11EDB75E-036E-4CBF-9EAF-68955DA0807B.jpeg

 

I like the aesthetics of the little brachiopod impression on the bottom right there. It gives it a sense of being in its natural surroundings/habitat. 

Very nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kane
50 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

I like the aesthetics of the little brachiopod impression on the bottom right there. It gives it a sense of being in its natural surroundings/habitat. 

Very nice.

Thanks! :) I hadn't actually noticed it until you pointed it out. To my shame and discredit, I blitz off a lot of brachs during prep when I am focused on the bug. :blush:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad
Just now, Kane said:

Thanks! :) I hadn't actually noticed it until you pointed it out. To my shame and discredit, I blitz off a lot of brachs during prep when I am focused on the bug. :blush:

:o

I mean :faint:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
caldigger

This is a very stiff competition this month in both categories. Come time to vote I might be flipping a coin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad
Just now, caldigger said:

This is a very stiff competition this month in both categories. Come time to vote I might be flipping a coin.

Or rolling a couple of dice! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Max-fossils

@Ludwigia that is, I'm pretty sure, the BEST trigonid I have ever laid my eyes upon... Simply: WOW! :envy::wub:

 

@Kane  @minnbuckeye fantastic trilobites!!! :trilosurprise:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Amateur Paleontologist

@Kane That Eldredgeops rana is wonderful! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MeargleSchmeargl
14 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

@Ludwigia that is, I'm pretty sure, the BEST trigonid I have ever laid my eyes upon... Simply: WOW! :envy::wub:

 

@Kane @MeargleSchmeargl fantastic trilobites!!! :trilosurprise:

? I haven't entered...yet. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Max-fossils
4 hours ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

? I haven't entered...yet. :D

Gaaah!!! Tagged the wrong person with 'm' in the name... :blink::doh!::shrug:

Sorry!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
caldigger

Age?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thelivingdead531
46 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Age?

Oops, forgot that. Fixed it. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MeargleSchmeargl
5 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Gaaah!!! Tagged the wrong person with 'm' in the name... :blink::doh!::shrug:

Sorry!

Though I have found some nice trilos, particularly last month! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Max-fossils
1 hour ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Though I have found some nice trilos, particularly last month! ;)

True!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Heteromorph
1 hour ago, LSCHNELLE said:

With much humility, I am entering the largest regular shark tooth I have ever found from the Cretaceous, Eagle Ford Formation, Bouldin Flags Member, Travis County, Austin, Texas USA.

That is astonishing! Great find. Wouldn’t want to get in that shark’s way. What tools did you use to prep it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fossildude19
On 5/18/2018 at 11:36 AM, Raggedy Man said:

 

 

You left out the date found and the dates for prep. Im thinking the majority of the prep didnt take place this month as to the rules.

 

The staff has discussed this, and we are allowing the entry.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LSCHNELLE
On 5/21/2018 at 1:24 PM, Heteromorph said:

That is astonishing! Great find. Wouldn’t want to get in that shark’s way. What tools did you use to prep it? 

Tried first with ice pick type tool, but matrix was way too hard.  Went to ARO Model 8315 air scribe that I acquired several years ago put inside a cheap sanding cabinet from Harbor Freight with a Porter-Cable 135 PSI air compressor. That worked great, but I had to be really careful on the tooth edges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fossildude19
On 5/21/2018 at 1:04 PM, LSCHNELLE said:

Amazing finds!  With much humility, I am entering the largest regular shark tooth I have ever found from the Cretaceous, Eagle Ford Formation, Bouldin Flags Member, Travis County, Austin, Texas USA. It is a 47mm diagonal by 42mm root width Cretodus crassidins. It is in nearly flawless condition on the backside, but the front side has begun to weather out on the root.  I may try to prep the front more, but I don't want it to come off of the rock matrix. Found May 19, 2018, prepped on May 20, 2018. Pictures show field condition then back side prep and front side non-prep. The tooth has curvature into the hole in the rock. From my experiences, they usually aren't this wide and massive. 

Please put the information in the Format requested in the rules. ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abyssunder

All are nice finds! Congrats to all of you! :dinothumb:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×