Jazfossilator

Found Myrtle beach South Carolina. Cretaceous, Pliocene, and Pleistocene material can be found. looks like typical bone to me on the porous side, the other side is odd though. I’ve never seen turtle shell like this either, any thoughts? 

ECB81E9B-B6B9-43A6-AA80-A70D8C471916.jpeg

5D421BA4-AF89-4E75-8967-7F28AEE5AD4C.jpeg

FAFB87F3-D817-4E25-BACD-A6590FE363C3.jpeg

1C43EDE0-57CB-45F4-8F8F-3B22048925E4.jpeg

FCA84962-BAC7-4AA7-9B5F-F783E0472E3B.jpeg

This is strange stuff, just like that other thing you posted. Somehow the bone texture just looks wrong. I wonder if it could be wierd slag or something of the sort. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Please include a ruler or the like for scale. Size might help in ID process.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

2 minutes ago, garyc said:

I’m thinking glyptodon also.

Not saying it’s wrong, but aren’t there typically ridges? 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Apologies, I was looking on my phone and thought this piece looked like the very center of a rosette. I now think it does not look like glyptodon. 

7 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Typically buys squat with me when it comes to a worn one of these. 

• I found this Informative 1

I'm not at all sure, but something like this might be worth consideration as a starting point.

IMG_4620a.jpg

IMG_4621a.jpg

15 hours ago, caldigger said:

Please include a ruler or the like for scale. Size might help in ID process.

Couldn’t find my straight edge ruler, hope this helps.C5630037-2E47-49B5-AE20-0C47592CC080.thumb.jpeg.68c2dbccda05126233c5f05093bae28a.jpeg

349E4BBE-78F1-4732-82CB-73DA1932E95B.thumb.jpeg.6002bfb8b8e7b08cf0a4e8ef06a10371.jpeg

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

I'm not at all sure, but something like this might be worth consideration as a starting point.

IMG_4620a.jpg

IMG_4621a.jpg

Could it be just a really worn piece of glyptodon that isn’t part of the ridging?

One side (dorsal) may be close to the compared specimen posted by Rockwood, but the other side doesn't illustrate the expected pattern. Also, I didn't recognize a radiating pattern in the specimen in question. I'm wondering if couldn't be something in the realm of Entobia. :headscratch:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

5 hours ago, abyssunder said:

the other side doesn't illustrate the expected pattern.

My thought was that the exposed center is cancelous bone. Note the apparently plentiful vessel openings.  

One of my quarrels with it being a worn glyptodont is that if it were worn, wouldn’t the fine details of the front be the first to wear off? Also the pattern looks different to me. Perhaps it’s just my eyes. 

Happy hunting,

Mason

Hey @Harry Pristis can you confirm or deny this as a glyptodont or perhaps something else?

Happy hunting,

Mason

6 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Hey @Harry Pristis can you confirm or deny this as a glyptodont or perhaps something else?

My guess is that this is a Holmesina osteoderm.  These giant armadillos have many odd bits of armor beyond the buckler and imbricating band -- margins, head, legs, tail.

armadillo.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest