Suggestions for fossils spots in Alaska

afisk

Hello! I am taking a trip up to Alaska to visit my dad. He really wants to go and apttempt to find some fossils. The goal is something other than plant species, something like gastropods, ammonites, etc. We will be anywhere from Wasilla, Ak area to Seward during our trip. Any spot suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

I can't help, but just wanted to say "Hello" and offer you a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. :)

Hopefully, someone will be along with some info shortly. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I can't assist you with invertebrates. The only thing I have seen come out of Alaska is Pleistocene mammal parts.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

http://fossilspot.com/STATES/AK.HTM

Keep in mind that some of these entries may be outdated, but it does give some indication of locations that may have what you are looking for. Of course, keep in mind that it is illegal to collect from state parks, national parks, and wildlife refuges. 

This site provides a one-stop resource for the geology of the state, with links to legalities for collecting, museums, and organizations: http://paleoportal.org/index.php?globalnav=time_space&sectionnav=state&name=Alaska

• I found this Informative 4

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Alternately, you may try to reach out to members from Alaska who may still be active (Via Private Message). ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 2 years later...

Abundant plant fossils can be located in the Jonesville mine area behind Sutton, Alaska. This is state land and recreation area with collection of plant fossils allowed. It is an old coal mine area that has been rehabilitated with 4 wheel derive access through out the many trails. Go to north side Wishbone Hill on Jonesville Road and walk to the exposed cliff faces for the plant fossils. 

• I found this Informative 1

Some good sites are very remote and may still be accessible only by helicopter.  Fishermen and fossil collectors were going to at least two different spots in Alaska back in the 80's.  One of them was somewhere in the Talkeetna Mountains.  They found some Jurassic ammonites including Cardioceras.  They collected some at a Cretaceous site too.  I think one of them was Beaudanticeras.  I remember seeing some of the Jurassic ones at a show in the mid-90''s - haven't seen any since.