Hadrosaurus?

Skunkhunter

Welcome to the forum.

Please provide something to indicate scale (such as a ruler or tape measure) and possibly take a few more images of the object from different angles. Have a look at our pinned topics in this subforum for more helpful tips to assist our members assist you in identification. :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

12 minutes ago, Kane said:

Welcome to the forum.

Please provide something to indicate scale (such as a ruler or tape measure) and possibly take a few more images of the object from different angles. Have a look at our pinned topics in this subforum for more helpful tips to assist our members assist you in identification. :) 

Thanks for the welcome -ive lurked here for a while, but my curiousities finally forced me to post :) ..my family and i live very close to big brook and we are always at one park or another.. generally, we come home with at least 2 or 3 rocks or 'wow, this is a weird shaped/ looking thing(s)' in our pockets each.. rock nerds!

Welcome to the Forum from the Hudson Valley, NY. What makes you think that rock is a Hadrosaur? You should google Big Brook and/or the Fossils of New Jersey site, or search this site to get an idea what Hadrosaur material looks like. I collected in the brooks for five years before I found my first Hadrosaur tooth. There is a very very slight chance that what you have is a piece of bone and there are others on the Forum who are more expert at identifying bone fragments who will likely chime in. By far most odd shaped rocks you find in the brooks are some type of concretion. Good luck and keep on hunting.  

20 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

Welcome to the Forum from the Hudson Valley, NY. What makes you think that rock is a Hadrosaur? You should google Big Brook and/or the Fossils of New Jersey site, or search this site to get an idea what Hadrosaur material looks like. I collected in the brooks for five years before I found my first Hadrosaur tooth. There is a very very slight chance that what you have is a piece of bone and there are others on the Forum who are more expert at identifying bone fragments who will likely chime in. By far most odd shaped rocks you find in the brooks are some type of concretion. Good luck and keep on hunting.  

Thanks for the welcome, Jeff. What made me think that this could be a fossil is that I instantly thought, 'snarge, that looks like a piece of bone when I picked it up (yes, even my inner voice curses).' It would be the only time Ive ever picked up a rock and thought that.

I have searched what hadrosaurus bones and teeth look like and I dont think it's a tooth. I'm the furthest thing from an expert and I just kind of guessed it was some kind of bone fragment. I didn't know they were an extremely rare find. 

One of the uphill challenges in identifying worn bone fragments is that they may lack any distinguishing diagnostic detail. If it is bone, there might be a chance to ID it... or it may be another of what we euphemistically call "chunkasaurus" - the unidentifiable bone frags. :P Hopefully you will make it back out to Big Brook, and possibly find more goodies!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer