Siderite cast or coprolite with worm tube?

GeschWhat

I picked this little nugget up quite a few years ago, during my early infatuation with coprolites. All I know about it is that it was found near Price, Utah. I have siderite "formations" from around the world. This is the only one I've seen that looks like it has an inclusion (or should I say the cast of an inclusion). There has long been a debate as to whether siderite rocks such as these are coprolites, casts of voids (fecal and otherwise, or iron-rich mud extrusions (what I like to call "Earth poop"). My questions are:

1. Does anyone happen to recognize what formation this might have come from?

2. Does anyone recognize the tubular structures? The only thing that comes to mind for me are worm tubes, but I don't know if there are any marine environments represented near Price, UT.

As always, thanks for your help!

@Carl

Dubiocoprolite-Price-Utah-Views.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

That's interesting, as always your specimens. :)

I have a thought, but that's just an idea which came out from my mind and I say it with uncertainty. Somehow, the entire ensemble might be in the line of Cylindrichnus - Siphonichnus - Patagonichnus, but not knowing the geological age / ichnofacies / terrestrial or marine origin, it will be just a guess. Try to compare.

link to Patagonichnus

890-10627-1-PB.thumb.jpg.789b41b73dd0bfb644fc3a402e184e27.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

2 hours ago, abyssunder said:

That's interesting, as always your specimens. :)

I have a thought, but that's just an idea which came out from my mind and I say it with uncertainty. Somehow, the entire ensemble might be in the line of Cylindrichnus - Siphonichnus - Patagonichnus, but not knowing the geological age / ichnofacies / terrestrial or marine origin, it will be just a guess. Try to compare.

link to Patagonichnus

890-10627-1-PB.thumb.jpg.789b41b73dd0bfb644fc3a402e184e27.jpg

E - P. stratiformis  does look similar; although, the longitudinal striations appear to be more narrow on mine. I'm not seeing similarities with the others you mentioned. I really wish I knew more about the area where it was found. All I got was "Found in the desert surrounding Price, Utah."

You may have just helped me identify another random burrow system I had on my shelf. With this one, I have no idea where it was from. If I remember correctly, it was an unidentified estate piece. This one appears to fit with P. thalassiformis. 

Patagonichnus_ thalassiformis.jpg

It might be close to P. thalassiformis.

These are strange and they have complicate forms.

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 3 years later...
On 5/5/2018 at 8:45 PM, GeschWhat said:

E - P. stratiformis  does look similar; although, the longitudinal striations appear to be more narrow on mine. I'm not seeing similarities with the others you mentioned. I really wish I knew more about the area where it was found. All I got was "Found in the desert surrounding Price, Utah."

You may have just helped me identify another random burrow system I had on my shelf. With this one, I have no idea where it was from. If I remember correctly, it was an unidentified estate piece. This one appears to fit with P. thalassiformis. 

This specimen reminds me of Teredo borings in wood that have been filled with sand and later the sand lithified and the lignitized wood surrounding them eroded away. 

Go see 

El Hedeny, M., Kassab, W., Rashwan, M., Abu El-Kheir, G. and AbdelGawad, M., 2021.

Bivalve borings in Maastrichtian fossil Nypa fruits: Dakhla Formation, Bir Abu Minqar,

South Western Desert, Egypt. Ichnos, 28(1), pp.24-33.

Donovan, S.K., 2018. A new ichnogenus for Teredolites longissimus Kelly and

Bromley. Swiss Journal of Palaeontology, 137(1), pp.95-98.

Teredolites longissimus (allochthonus) at Clastics.com by Chuck D. Howard.

Yours,

Paul H.

Edited by Oxytropidoceras
rearranged links