Shellseeker

When I can not go to the Peace River... I clean, sort, categorize fossils or I do some family genealogy research, or I watch a ballgame on TV.  It is ALL good.

Here I am, going thru the bottom of an old box that has mostly whale teeth, some ray dermals, a few horse teeth, and some odds & ends, all coming from a Florida phosphate mine. Ball game on TV,  drink on the table... as good as it gets.

A couple of the odds-ends,

IMG_1801GoldDenticle.thumb.jpg.71b564e8fc88c763532ebb6b9c5d5f7c.jpgIMG_1806.jpg.6368f56d40f63a69dda373a6952ad725.jpg

and a couple of pre_Equus horse teeth to identify.  You must be a horse fossil expert to do this and I am not nearly good enough... The 1st is an Upper,  Cormohipparion I think...  The 2nd very small... maybe Nannippus.  I have sent photo to Richard Hulbert.

Just sharing the good feelings I have today. Scraps in the bottom of a box, waiting for me to get interested.   Jack

CormohipparionSpUpperMolar.JPG

IMG_1781Small_m3_Txt.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Lovely teeth! I love all things Equus, and pre-Equus. :wub:

1 hour ago, Shellseeker said:

When I can not go to the Peace River... I clean, sort, categorize fossils or I do some family genealogy research, or I watch a ballgame on TV.  It is ALL good.

Here I am, going thru the bottom of an old box that has mostly whale teeth, some ray dermals, a few horse teeth, and some odds & ends, all coming from a Florida phosphate mine. Ball game on TV,  drink on the table... as good as it gets.

A couple of the odds-ends,

and a couple of pre_Equus horse teeth to identify.  You must be a horse fossil expert to do this and I am not nearly good enough... The 1st is an Upper,  Cormohipparion I think...  The 2nd very small... maybe Nannippus.  I have sent photo to Richard Hulbert.

Just sharing the good feelings I have today. Scraps in the bottom of a box, waiting for me to get interested.   Jack

IMG_1781Small_m3_Txt.jpg

This one appears to be an Equus left m3, Jack.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

3 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

This one appears to be an Equus left m3, Jack.

Harry, Thanks for the insight and Identification. I am terrible on the differences between m3 and p2.  I know that you have been down this path extensively, so I (hopefully) will not whine.  I am GOBSMACKED!!!!!!!. That tooth is 8 mm wide by 15 mm occlusal length. I am going to Gainesville Friday and Montbrook Sunday, maybe I'll see Richard..

:yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1: I have a tooth from a 3 foot Equus.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Both the lower m3 and the upper molar are Cormohipparion emsliei.  See you next Sunday at Montbrook.                  Richard

Got an answer from Richard... Lucky this time,  last upper tooth I sent a photo of as Cormohipparion was just a beat up Equus... small but still Equus.

Glad to have an identification on the m3... it is a great add to my small horse collection.  Jack

Congrats on the tooth additions!. I like seeing them and their ID/jaw location info---just wish I could remember that stuff without having to relook it up all of the time--dang brain. Is that Bowling Green material? 

Thanks again Jack for showing stuff...

Regards, Chris 

Archived