Dpaul7

Had a magnificent hunt today (photos to follow on that section).  We found sigillaria in excess of 3 feet.  Other nice fossils.  Sadly in multi-ton rock.  I did bring a few pieces back... Here are 2 pieces... Asteria?  I have never found something like this around here!

IMG_8088.JPG

IMG_8089.JPG

IMG_8090.JPG

IMG_8091.JPG

UH...... NOT asteria.... Artisia fossil.  (See what happens when you get old?)

That's what I would call it.

I think you got the ID correct to. :)

Why do you refer to it as a branch though ?

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Artisia branch?

Nice find! Sounds like you found some really neat material. Along Rockwood's questioning...Were any of the Artisia found in a vertical position-insitu? 

Thanks for showing us!

Regards, Chris 

@Rockwood  - I use "branch" for want of a better term.  It is totally round.... like a piece of wood would be. @Plantguy - Sort of... look at our photos from out fossil hunt...  Some strata were twisted. so one piece appears "vertical" - We will return soon to look for more... THIS time we will take deep woods OFF - There are ticks about, and while I did not have any, my companions DID.  (I guess I'm too old and sour).

Indeed Artisia, I'd say. Good luck on your next trip there.

Searching for green in the dark grey.

8 minutes ago, Dpaul7 said:

I use "branch" for want of a better term. 

Understood.

I don't think a term is really needed though. Artisia is the name of a mold fossil. Therefore it is a term. 

Artisia sp.
Cast of pith-cavity of Cordaites branch or trunk

Mühlenbach (Germ.)

Westfalian A/B

I suppose that is why I used "branch"

When we were kids, we never found these before.... Always other varieties of trees.  (I mean cordiates).  Too bad it is raining today!

3 hours ago, Dpaul7 said:

Artisia sp.
Cast of pith-cavity of Cordaites branch or trunk

Mühlenbach (Germ.)

Westfalian A/B

I suppose that is why I used "branch"

When we were kids, we never found these before.... Always other varieties of trees.  (I mean cordiates).  Too bad it is raining today!

Casts are just a more complete type of mold fossil. There are likely many who would argue against calling these molds, but in this case I believe it is actually more appropriate.  

Artisia
Nice find! :)
from a short topic...

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

22 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Casts are just a more complete type of mold fossil. There are likely many who would argue against calling these molds, but in this case I believe it is actually more appropriate.  

I would agree with you!

Archived