Sportbikemike1

Looking for fossils on our way to Middleville NY

Sportbikemike1

My girlfriend and I are making a trip to Middleville in a few weeks and are going to stop in to dig up some Herkimer diamonds.  Was wondering if there were any public dig sites around the area?  We're coming from Northern NJ so Penn Dixie is out of the way.  Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Going to be up there 5/20 - 5/24

Kane

Depending on how far you want to drive, there are a few sites within an hour or two of Middleville. I'll tag @Darktooth and @Jeffrey P here to make some suggestions.

Darktooth

How far off the beaten path would you be willing to go?

Sportbikemike1

Maybe within a few hours I would say.  We are leaving NJ sunday and spending a few days in Middleville.  So if it is worth it we can head out in any direction.  Can spend all day Wednesday in an area if there are any good sites.

Thanks for all the info and help

Fossildude19
52 minutes ago, Sportbikemike1 said:

Maybe within a few hours I would say.  We are leaving NJ sunday and spending a few days in Middleville.  So if it is worth it we can head out in any direction.  Can spend all day Wednesday in an area if there are any good sites.

Thanks for all the info and help

It's about 1 hour and 15 minutes to Deep Springs Road from there.

Also would be just about 1 hour to Cole Hill Road. 

Darktooth

Tim beat me to it. This is the same info I was going to give. These are great sites well worth going to.

Sportbikemike1

Fossildude19, any idea of what townships these areas are located in?  I mapped Onondaga Creek and see it's about 20 minutes from Middleville.  

I DON'T want to sound too much like a noob,  but where exactly am I looking for?  Are there any places to park or not to park?  Where to search or where not to?  

Fossildude19
On 5/6/2018 at 8:56 PM, Sportbikemike1 said:

Fossildude19, any idea of what townships these areas are located in?  I mapped Onondaga Creek and see it's about 20 minutes from Middleville.  

I DON'T want to sound too much like a noob,  but where exactly am I looking for?  Are there any places to park or not to park?  Where to search or where not to?  

PM Sent.  ;)