Stromatolite Fossil from Morocco

Hi,

s1.thumb.jpg.0f482ccd117bde50056d2add3bbb35e8.jpgs2.thumb.jpg.683af1f4490884eed7e79c071b921933.jpg

Here is the photos of a "Stromatolite Fossil from Morocco" that I just going to get from a seller, but after I read a post from another member, I am confused.

A member named Ebo mentioned that this is not a real Stromatolite. How is the real Stromatolite Fossil looks like? I googled "Stromatolite Fossil from Morocco" and most of the photos looks similar to my photos.

23 minutes ago, Irene Ling said:

Hi,

Here is the photos of a "Stromatolite Fossil from Morocco" that I just going to get from a seller, but after I read a post from another member, I am confused.

A member named Ebo mentioned that this is not a real Stromatolite. How is the real Stromatolite Fossil looks like? I googled "Stromatolite Fossil from Morocco" and most of the photos looks similar to my photos.

Hello, it is me, Adam, Tidgy's Dad! 

Yes, this was one of my earliest posts on the forum and since this time I have done some reading and some bashing of rocks and am certain that these are not stromatolites at all, but a geologic desert feature akin to the desert rose (but not gypsum, of course). They have no internal layering as one would expect from a stromatolite. 

They are still being sold all over the south of Morocco as stromatolites and thus on the web and in shops elsewhere. i recently informed a shop owner in Spain that his stromatolite wasn't one. 

But it's not cheating or lying, the sellers genuinely believe this is what they are. 

Moroccan stromatolites do occur, but look very different .

Image result for stromatolite Morocco

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Oh, and i forgot to say, "Hello, Irene, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco! ":)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

13 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Hello, it is me, Adam, Tidgy's Dad! 

Yes, this was one of my earliest posts on the forum and since this time I have done some reading and some bashing of rocks and am certain that these are not stromatolites at all, but a geologic desert feature akin to the desert rose (but not gypsum, of course). They have no internal layering as one would expect from a stromatolite. 

They are still being sold all over the south of Morocco as stromatolites and thus on the web and in shops elsewhere. i recently informed a shop owner in Spain that his stromatolite wasn't one. 

But it's not cheating or lying, the sellers genuinely believe this is what they are. 

Moroccan stromatolites do occur, but look very different .

Hi Adam! Thanks for your response, really happy to know you are still active in this forum since the post was 2 years+ ago.

Thanks a lot for the information, now I have a confirmed answer. Yes I believe the sellers don't know much about it but just selling what they got from supplier and telling customer what they heard. The real Moroccan Stromatolite looks very special though.

8 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Oh, and i forgot to say, "Hello, Irene, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco! ":)

Thank you! I am very new to fossil and still have a lot to learn. Really happy to join this forum. :D 

7 minutes ago, Irene Ling said:

Hi Adam! Thanks for your response, really happy to know you are still active in this forum since the post was 2 years+ ago.

Thanks a lot for the information, now I have a confirmed answer. Yes I believe the sellers don't know much about it but just selling what they got from supplier and telling customer what they heard. The real Moroccan Stromatolite looks very special though.

They are, but I borrowed this photo from the web, should have said. 

I don't have one yet, myself, though i am planning to go to the location soon. 

Image result for moroccan stromatolites

A fossil stromatolite reef in Morocco, (image from the Universities Space Research Association) 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

4 minutes ago, Irene Ling said:

Thank you! I am very new to fossil and still have a lot to learn. Really happy to join this forum. :D 

We all still have a lot to learn.

That's part of the fun of it and why this forum is such a nice place, we all learn from each other. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

I have a report I'll need to dig up in my library published in 2016 that suggests these are stromatolites. The layers typically in stromatolites is absent due to the type of mineral and mineralization process. I have to do some yard work here before the grass is inundated with dandelions. Even though a sea of green and yellow is welcome here in Wisconsin, they do die and make the worst bare spots. @Tidgy's Dad I do love and respect your insight of fossils from Morocco and want you to read it so I can read your thoughts on the paper. Just because a paper is published, it doesn't mean it's correct. Until other teams and research is done, its just one opinion amongst many and how one interprets the data can and is often different than another. In the mean time, here are some beautiful stroms I found in Minnesota last year in October.  20180506_142459-1.thumb.jpg.694d0bfc023ea28c0b4e2b21ae9ffd51.jpg

...I'm back.

11 minutes ago, Raggedy Man said:

I have a report I'll need to dig up in my library published in 2016 that suggests these are stromatolites. The layers typically in stromatolites is absent due to the type of mineral and mineralization process. I have to do some yard work here before the grass is inundated with dandelions. Even though a sea of green and yellow is welcome here in Wisconsin, they do die and make the worst bare spots. @Tidgy's Dad I do love and respect your insight of fossils from Morocco and want you to read it so I can read your thoughts on the paper. Just because a paper is published, it doesn't mean it's correct. Until other teams and research is done, its just one opinion amongst many and how one interprets the data can and is often different than another. In the mean time, here are some beautiful stroms I found in Minnesota last year in October.  20180506_142459-1.thumb.jpg.694d0bfc023ea28c0b4e2b21ae9ffd51.jpg

I would love to be wrong, so am looking forward to seeing this paper. 

When I started the first thread two and a half years back, i was disappointed, but not surprised to be told that they probably weren't stromatolites. 

I have found more reason to think they're not since, but would be delighted if my piece is one as i don't have any in my collection. Yet. 

Tidgy would make short work of your dandelions, they're her favourite. (my tortoise). 

Love your stromatolites! 

Cheers,

Adam:)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

20 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

They are, but I borrowed this photo from the web, should have said. 

I don't have one yet, myself, though i am planning to go to the location soon. 

Image result for moroccan stromatolites

A fossil stromatolite reef in Morocco, (image from the Universities Space Research Association) 

Thanks for sharing the photo. Share some photos with us if you able to get one or few Stromatolites there. :) 

9 minutes ago, Irene Ling said:

Thanks for sharing the photo. Share some photos with us if you able to get one or few Stromatolites there. :) 

I most certainly shall. :)

But it may be a while before I get there. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

22 hours ago, Irene Ling said:

Welcome to the forum!
You will learn very, very much from this place. :dinosmile:
Be sure to stick around ;)

5 hours ago, Irene Ling said:

This site was 300m next to a main road, which was so degraded that they had to renew. The new road nearly smashed this stromatolite reef.  Soms damage from stockpiling equipment was done at the outskirts of the reef, but it's actually still there. Just hope they replace the road next time a bit further away...

• 2 months later...

Hi Irene,

I recently purchased a number of these stromatolite specimens in Tucson and after reading this thread, decided to slice one up to check on the validity of it. I sliced a domed one similar to yours in cross section through the dome. There is clearly layering in a domed pattern that is consistent with stromatolite formation. Hope that helps out.

On 14/07/2018 at 5:32 PM, Canuck said:

Hi Irene,

I recently purchased a number of these stromatolite specimens in Tucson and after reading this thread, decided to slice one up to check on the validity of it. I sliced a domed one similar to yours in cross section through the dome. There is clearly layering in a domed pattern that is consistent with stromatolite formation. Hope that helps out.

If you could, please, post photos, I believe these photos could help in the study of many members here of TFF. After all, science only progresses when we have physical and reliable data for study.

While the photos do not arrive, for comparison, I show here an example of one of the oldest stromatolites that until today have been discovered in the world ... It has between 2.2 and 2.10 Billion years ago, discovered in Minas Gerais , Southeastern Brazil, and is currently deposited in my private collection:

image.png.42a44f5d344d6a551c8f5c413c7c466c.png

Small Note: I am not disobeying any Brazilian law in maintaining this stromatolite in my collection, because in Brazil, stromatolites like this are sold by the Cumbi Quarry as simple marbles, which in Brazil are used for civil construction! :wacko:

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

Archived