Gecko in Baltic Amber

Hello together,

i found this Baltic Amber with a Gecko and i am not sure with the authenticity.

The description from the seller is very short:

322 gram. 8x12cm. 4cm thick. Genuine piece not plastic or resin but genuine Baltic Amber. With a gecko inside.

For me the amber on the untreated side looks real.

What worries me is the gecko and the big size of the amber.

The gecko is almost perfect in the middle and is also perfect preserve.

I hope you can hlp me?

kind Regards,

Michael

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Definitely at least looks like an anolid rather than a gecko, but since even today anoles are often sold as geckos, that wouldn't be a shock. Can't speak to the authenticity of the piece, but that was my two cents.

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

This has a very poor polish that makes it hard to be sure, but it does not look right to Me.

Most animal inclusions in amber are translucent.

Also there are parts of the skeleton that are exposed like a decomposed and insect eaten lizard.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thanks for your quick responses.

Too bad that no one can confirm the authenticity..

Just the fact that it seems too good to be true would make me suspect.  My 2 cents.

RB

Are there any confirmed vertebrates in the Baltic amber?  seems to me they come mostly form the Dominican stuff.  Another reason to be suspicious.  

5 minutes ago, jpc said:

Are there any confirmed vertebrates in the Baltic amber?  seems to me they come mostly form the Dominican stuff.  Another reason to be suspicious.  

Yes there are confirmed vertebrates in Baltic amber. The gecko Yantarogekko balticus for example. As far as I know this is the only found gecko so far and no complete examples are known. So I think this is not a real one, but probably a fake one. If this is the case, then the amber isn't real either, as amber does not melt, but rather decomposes. Copal can melt, but those have a lighter color. I think this is synthetic resin with a modern day gecko/ anolid instead of a real amber piece. 

10 minutes ago, jpc said:

Yes, there are - but very rare...as i've heard/read prices reaches around 10.000 Euro and more....

I have seen other creatures like big butterflies or scorpion in amber style preservation  that are definitely man made  this also has a man made look to it. But that is just my opinion. 

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:59 AM, DevonianDigger said:

Definitely at least looks like an anolid rather than a gecko, but since even today anoles are often sold as geckos, that wouldn't be a shock. Can't speak to the authenticity of the piece, but that was my two cents.

My initial impression. I would not spend more than 20 $ on the piece myself. I call repro (granted, this is my non expert opinion)

Archived