Buffalo Jake

Good morning all, it has been a bit since I've posted here. I recently picked up a nice Tyrannosaurus rex tooth from the Hell Creek formation. This tooth has a lot of character to it. Even though it is not huge by any means, it has beautiful enamel and excellent serrations. I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on it. Thank you!

rex1.jpeg

rex2.jpeg

rex3.jpeg

rex4.jpeg

rex5.jpeg

rex6.jpeg

rex7.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

Great pics.

Tyrannosaurs are always awesome. How many cm is it? Do you have a pic of the cross section?

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

15 minutes ago, -Andy- said:

Great pics.

Tyrannosaurs are always awesome. How many cm is it? Do you have a pic of the cross section?

Thank you. I'll take a picture of the cross section when I get home, and will also get a measurement.

I think it looks really nice even though it is not a complete specimen or big! The serrations are nice and I like the enamel. Good find!

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

3 minutes ago, Jaimin013 said:

I think it looks really nice even though it is not a complete specimen or big! The serrations are nice and I like the enamel. Good find!

Agreed, thank you for the kind words!

Some super serrations and a good looking piece! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Great tooth I especially like the wear facet it adds character to the tooth.  Very crisp serrations.  What size it it?

Neat tooth! That's quite a chunk off from feeding wear. That rex must have bit something in the hard spot!

What size is it?

The tooth is 1-5/8” long. Here is a picture of the cross section.

A3DD23A9-74CF-4C6D-A371-4BCE4D0FB096.jpeg

1 hour ago, FossilSniper said:

Neat tooth! That's quite a chunk off from feeding wear. That rex must have bit something in the hard spot!

What size is it?

Wear facets are due to regular contact between the lingual surfaces of maxillary teeth and the labial surfaces of dentary teeth. Like grinding your teeth.

• I found this Informative 1

2 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Wear facets are due to regular contact between the lingual surfaces of maxillary teeth and the labial surfaces of dentary teeth. Like grinding your teeth.

Thank you!
I always interpreted it as feeding wear due to contact with bone (there are less herbivore dinosaur teeth with feeding wear than carnivore dinosaur teeth, so I suppose this is why I stuck to this opinion for so long.)
Wear facets it is!

1 minute ago, FossilSniper said:

Thank you!
I always interpreted it as feeding wear.
Wear facets it is!

Feeding wear is perfectly fine.

• I found this Informative 1

18 minutes ago, Buffalo Jake said:

The tooth is 1-5/8” long. Here is a picture of the cross section.

Really, it is a nice tooth. At least compared to mine. ;) 
:envy:

2 minutes ago, FossilSniper said:

Really, it is a nice tooth. At least compared to mine. ;) 
:envy:

Thank you very much, I appreciate it. I really am enamored with the character of this tooth.

Very nice! Pretty tooth indeed:trex:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thanks all for the compliments. Any guesses as to what position in the jaw this tooth may have came from?

1 minute ago, Troodon said:

Looks like a maxillary tooth

Thanks Troodon, I was leaning towards maxillary as well.

Very nice tooth indeed. I like the feeding wear to me it adds to the interest of the tooth :)