Show us your plastic dinosaur

Bobby Rico

Unbeatable.

• I found this Informative 1

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Apparently, the absurd is appealing to me more and more often lately. I just had to have these socks today. (What middle aged woman wouldn’t want a pair?)  :P

239372CD-F82F-4479-84C3-C41E288C8452.jpeg

But does the image look like that when on your feet or must you be a contortionist to get the correct picture?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

7 minutes ago, caldigger said:

But does the image look like that when on your feet or must you be a contortionist to get the correct picture?

Nope. I’m stepping on her tail. :o

On 2/19/2019 at 5:45 PM, BLT said:

Apparently, the absurd is appealing to me more and more often lately. I just had to have these socks today. (What middle aged woman wouldn’t want a pair?)  :P

239372CD-F82F-4479-84C3-C41E288C8452.jpeg

My wife calls socks like these "fun socks". Basically  to her fun socks are any that have a character or animal print on them.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

43 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

My wife calls socks like these "fun socks". Basically  to her fun socks are any that have a character or animal print on them.

:dinothumb: I bought a pair with a hula hooping cat, too. (The goofier, the better!) :P

11 minutes ago, rebu said:

This print is very cool

I agree I like a good mammoth picture.  I was going to ask you and this is on topic now. The National Museum in Prague do you know if  it still displays the wonderful prehistoric themed paintings by Zdeněk  Burian ? Thanks Bobby 

1F31A985-C02A-407A-95D2-2592D5BDCC42.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

On 2/23/2019 at 5:04 PM, Bobby Rico said:

I agree I like a good mammoth picture.  I was going to ask you and this is on topic now. The National Museum in Prague do you know if  it still displays the wonderful prehistoric themed paintings by Zdeněk  Burian ? Thanks Bobby 

1F31A985-C02A-407A-95D2-2592D5BDCC42.jpeg

They have a couple of his paintings there but more of his work is there only when there is his exhibit. Here is museum which is dedicated to him. http://www.zdenekburian.cz

I love his work, there are many old books here with his illustrations for sale and usually very cheap. His original work on other hand.......... Glad to see that he has fans out of this country as well.

27 minutes ago, rebu said:

They have a couple of his paintings there but more of his work is there only when there is his exhibit. Here is museum which is dedicated to him. http://www.zdenekburian.cz

I love his work, there are many old books here with his illustrations for sale and usually very cheap. His original work on other hand.......... Glad to see that he has fans out of this country as well.

There used to be quite a few at that museum but it has been I think  refurbished since I was last there. I have own the book prehistoric animals and plants since my childhood it is very beautiful. Can you please tell me where that museum his painting are displayed ?  Thanks 

3556A9DE-A733-480A-B7D3-878C4FBC1116.jpeg

3938995D-D255-4AE9-AF57-C5022094BFFA.jpeg

I would like more of his books. 

On 2/23/2019 at 6:47 PM, Bobby Rico said:

There used to be quite a few at that museum but it has been I think  refurbished since I was last there. I have own the book prehistoric animals and plants since my childhood it is very beautiful. Can you please tell me where that museum his painting are displayed ?  Thanks 

3556A9DE-A733-480A-B7D3-878C4FBC1116.jpeg  3938995D-D255-4AE9-AF57-C5022094BFFA.jpeg

I would like more of his books. 

The museum is in Štramberk, it is town where Burian lived. There is usually some of his reproductions for sale as well. He done ilustrations for many books lots of cowboys and wild west. I will see what is available here from his work from prehistorie and let you know. You have very nice book with beautiful ilustrations there. Is it in Czech or English?

Screenshot_20190224-080412_Maps.jpg

On 24/02/2019 at 7:19 AM, rebu said:

The museum is in Štramberk, it is town where Burian lived. There is usually some of his reproductions for sale as well. He done ilustrations for many books lots of cowboys and wild west. I will see what is available here from his work from prehistorie and let you know. You have very nice book with beautiful ilustrations there. Is it in Czech or English?

Hi and thank you. Yes my book is in English. My sister gave it to me as a birthday present 35 years ago or more . His books are hard to find in the UK .If you are able to pick some up cheep I would be very grateful and could reimburse you the costs. I love to visit his museum . He is definitely one of my favourite artists of all time. Just for some eye candy this beautiful painting was in The Natural History Museum in Prague . Thanks Bobby 

3D75DD95-6F75-41C7-83BC-0CE2C964258E.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

Our grad students have an odd ritual of placing toys in various spots throughout our building, changing them around from time to time: 

IMG_5698.JPG

IMG_5699.JPG

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

On 2/25/2019 at 9:34 AM, Bobby Rico said:

Hi and thank you. Yes my book is in English. My sister gave it to me as a birthday present 35 years ago or more . His books are hard to find in the UK .If you are able to pick some up cheep I would be very grateful and could reimburse you the costs. I love to visit his museum . He is definitely one of my favourite artists of all time. Just for some eye candy this beautiful painting was in The Natural History Museum in Prague . Thanks Bobby 

3D75DD95-6F75-41C7-83BC-0CE2C964258E.jpeg

Yes, this painting is beautiful and pretty good considered that he done it 1960. I will look for something and let you know only problem here is that it will be in Czech. There are some publications of his paintings only, comes usually in folders with something like ten or fifteen prints. I think it might be better for you, nice for framing. Is this the book you have (first pic) ? The second is one of the folders with prints.

20190225_163333.jpg

20190225_163354.jpg

6 hours ago, rebu said:

this the book

No this is the one I have but I don’t have the dust jacket.

2F74D942-C621-422D-AF27-191A929FDE5C.jpeg

The folder of prints sounds amazing but I don’t have a lot money. Thank you I glad I found another member who really likes his work. Bobby 

32 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

The folder of prints sounds amazing but I don’t have a lot money. Thank you I glad I found another member who really likes his work. Bobby 

Nice book I am glad that he is admired even over the border :) I will let you know when I find something.

On 2/25/2019 at 10:28 AM, Kane said:

Our grad students have an odd ritual of placing toys in various spots throughout our building, changing them around from time to time: 

IMG_5698.JPG   IMG_5699.JPG

That’s funny Mrs R does it at home I found a stormtrooper in the weetabix last week. :) 

31 minutes ago, rebu said:

Nice book I am glad that he is admired even over the border :) I will let you know when I find something.

That is great. All the best Bobby 

On 2/23/2019 at 3:37 PM, rebu said:

Burian has many fans in America too.  His art is beautiful.  I have an American edition of "Life Before Man" (Crescent Books, New York, 1981) - like the scan below.  One of my friends has at least three of his other books (one from them might be from the UK).

Older editions of his books can be expensive (over $100) because they are in demand by book and fossil collectors.

The magazine, "Prehistoric Times," published in California, is currently honoring his art with several articles across several issues.

Jess

lifebeforeman.jpg

55 minutes ago, siteseer said:

Burian has many fans in America too.  His art is beautiful.  I have an American edition of "Life Before Man" (Crescent Books, New York, 1981) - like the scan below.  One of my friends has at least three of his other books (one from them might be from the UK).

Older editions of his books can be expensive (over $100) because they are in demand by book and fossil collectors.

The magazine, "Prehistoric Times," published in California, is currently honoring his art with several articles across several issues.

Jess

That's great to hear, he was a brilliant man and very talented artist. Nice book you have there. Thanks for sharing. 

On 2/19/2019 at 11:45 PM, BLT said:

Or middle aged man.:)

Nice! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Since I mentioned him in my MotM post and was asked to share, here is my first dinosaur toy. Given he is a T rex and around 24 years old now, he would be toward the upper end in age but should do histology just to be sure haha. When producing this run of toys they went with a snake pattern for the "skin" and I am not sure why.

5c7c570e8d119_Picture6.thumb.jpg.8ac907ceff749fb1625101fb353fe562.jpg

5c7c5711186bc_Picture5.thumb.jpg.d8b5ab12bb9ae1277b2f766221e7dc11.jpg

O, and for any wondering, the bookshelf is indeed handmade.

@fifbrindacier

• I found this Informative 4

2 hours ago, CBchiefski said:

Since I mentioned him in my MotM post and was asked to share, here is my first dinosaur toy. Given he is a T rex and around 24 years old now, he would be toward the upper end in age but should do histology just to be sure haha. When producing this run of toys they went with a snake pattern for the "skin" and I am not sure why.

Very nice.

Better a snake pattern than a giraffe pattern, i suppose.

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png