Show us your plastic dinosaur

Bobby Rico

In our garden a collection of vintage British Museum prehistoric creatures. 

7F1AAA6C-CF3C-42BE-B11F-E97CEE2BBC7F.jpeg

64A5D18D-7159-4093-8E38-B7FD8253390C.jpeg

5C5CA303-7408-4298-8FA9-9C6FF527E415.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

On 5/15/2019 at 1:37 PM, Nimravis said:

18BBD515-0A35-49CC-BE55-FCFEE1EC3C9B.thumb.jpeg.26bfcfa71f1c07ce235dfce7f6a6c6d3.jpeg

And I always thought it was the moths eating holes in my sweaters!

• I found this Informative 1

On 5/15/2019 at 1:37 PM, Nimravis said:

These are cool-

18BBD515-0A35-49CC-BE55-FCFEE1EC3C9B.thumb.jpeg.26bfcfa71f1c07ce235dfce7f6a6c6d3.jpeg

Cool find!  Although the dilophoaaurus with the frill just ends up looking like a clown dino with a ruffled collar :ptero:

1 minute ago, olorotitan said:

Cool find!  Although the dilophoaaurus with the frill just ends up looking like a clown dino with a ruffled collar :ptero:

I agree, and just noticed that LOL.

Just finished watching this library rental.

One of Ray Harryhausen's gems.

The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms

20190525_163418.jpg

24 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Just finished watching this library rental.

One of Ray Harryhausen's gems.

The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms

20190525_163418.jpg

Ooooo one of my favorites! Harryhausen rocks!

Our zoo just opened an exhibit featuring life-size animated dinosaurs. The theme was Pangea, dinosaurs from around the world. Indeed they did have dinos from all over the globe with examples that were not just the "usual suspects" - T Rex and Triceratops. The creatures were indeed life-sized, from huge and imposing to diminutive.

Friday evening was a sneak preview for members of the Zoo society. It was packed with attendees. Normally snolly would not stand in line for anything. However, the allure of dinosaurs was powerful and accompanied by the intrepid snollywife he fell into the queue. It was early evening with the sun beginning to fade and the exhibit was within a nicely wooded area. After a seemingly interminable crawl (really only about 15 minutes) toward the entry, the first dino was spotted! It was hot, muggy and so crowded that snolly could not get any images of an entire dino without pesky humans in the way. A leisurely reading of the numerous educational placards was not possible due to the crowd. 

With the impediments to enjoyment listed above, was it a dismal experience? Absolutely not! The dinos moved their necks and tails, mouths gaped and nictitating membranes slid across alert eyes. Oh, and there was the occasional growl and life-size is seriously impressive. As nicely done as were the creatures, the display and setting; the real joy came from another source. The children! from toddlers to ten year olds. During the wait I heard some expressions of anxiety regarding the monsters within. But once immersed, the children all reflected a sense of excitement/absolute delight. Of course there were still comments of "that ones scary!" But these were made without the burden of fear. They seemed to reflect the outcome that such an exhibit should evoke - Wonder. 

A life-sized Spino is very impressive

DSC_3454z.thumb.jpg.9c0a08f9430703ee7273414f57578a66.jpg

My favorite of the group, Therizinosaurus was depicted with its back covered in downy feathers 

DSC_3459z.thumb.jpg.e2e54b8f2c19dd5d2802123d981f0fd7.jpg

Of course T Rex showed up at the very end

DSC_3490z.thumb.jpg.96b85c2253a7f637bb98e73e4975aeed.jpg

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I decided to go garage sale-ing with my Grandson today and found a big box of dinosaurs for $1.00.

A95E607E-8771-4266-BEFE-F640414F0FBF.thumb.jpeg.4f1ea0ffa15f2c62ce9a5ebffff466e5.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

I drive by this place several times every day and finally decided to get a couple of pics.

There is a shop somewhere that creates these metal dinosaur sculptures and just about every big plant nursery found along the California freeway system has at least one in some form or another.

This Triceratops is 6 feet high at the top of its back. 

20190610_161002.jpg

20190610_160855.jpg

20190610_160944.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

6 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Triceratops is 6 feet

Did you get one?  Little bigger than Sara. :D 

2 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Did you get one?  Little bigger than Sara. :D 

Can you imagine the postage on a dino that is 7 feet high at the tip of its frill?!

1 minute ago, caldigger said:

Can you imagine the postage on a dino that is 7 feet high at the tip of its frill?!

Our postman has passed his prime , this probably would retire him. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Man, you would have to have a seriously understanding wife to allow the obsession to go this far!

Somehow the frilly floral print on the tissue doesn't seem to fit the mood. :rolleyes: