Show us your plastic dinosaur

Bobby Rico

On 5/14/2018 at 2:47 PM, thelivingdead531 said:

I could never get on board with any of the 5,000 movies after the first one. I’m in complete denial and refuse to accept that there are more than the original. :ighappy: That being said, I still cry like a baby at several points and force my 5 year old to watch the first when I feel like watching it. 

“Tree-stars!!!”

You are not alone, I saw the original in the theater as a kid, each sequel seemed to get worse as they went on IMHO.  We have the DVDs of the other "500 sequels" that my oldest used to watch and now his little brother is starting to get into them.

• I found this Informative 1

8 minutes ago, Adam86cucv said:

You are not alone, I saw the original in the theater as a kid, each sequel seemed to get worse as they went on IMHO.  We have the DVDs of the other "500 sequels" that my oldest used to watch and now his little brother is starting to get into them.

Hey, if the kids like them, sometimes we have to make sacrifices. Hopefully they’ll love the first the most. ^_^:fingerscrossed:

They do also love "They're Back!" as well, I don't remember watching that one as a kid but my wife did.  My oldest also loves the BBC's "Walking with Dinosaurs", "Walking with Prehistoric Beasts", and 'Prehistoric Park".  Honestly all the BBC nature documentaries are also favorites in our house.

Came across some of our most played with ones when I ran down to the basement this morning.  I asked them for a group picture. :ighappy:

IMG_20180516_065232947_LL.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

9 hours ago, Adam86cucv said:

Came across some of our most played with ones when I ran down to the basement this morning.  I asked them for a group picture. :ighappy:

IMG_20180516_065232947_LL.jpg

Very nice the raptors is very cool.

thank you for adding to my post much appreciated.

Mrs Rico got me this at Christmas I have shown it before but it is too fun not to be added to this thread.

62E25007-2271-4221-93D7-98A5F9D0D576.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

Just now, Bobby Rico said:

Mrs Rico got me this at Christmas I have shown it before but it is too fun not to be added to this thread.

Serves 'em right! 

I am not very fond of garden gnomes. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 minute ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Serves 'em right! 

That T.rex is.:D

27 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Bahahahahaa!

I had a South Korean student who I used to "debate" about the efficiency of "biomass procurement" of chopsticks vs. silverware.  Of course, I was in the silverware camp.  When he graduated, he got me this... dino chopsticks... (hinged for chopstick novices like me)

20180516_170326.thumb.jpg.b65da981fd7eac6f19d56bc6a350c5b9.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

Just now, Peat Burns said:

Bahahahahaa!

I had a South Korean student who I used to "debate" about the efficiency of "biomass procurement" of chopsticks vs. silverware.  Of course, I was in the silverware camp.  When he graduated, he got me this... dino chopsticks... (hinged for chopstick novices like me)

20180516_170326.thumb.jpg.b65da981fd7eac6f19d56bc6a350c5b9.jpg

That is great, I love it.

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 3:04 AM, Gizmo said:

My  childhood collection I got 57 years ago at age 5. -

Screen Shot 2018-05-13 at 2.57.10 AM.png

I had all of these, too. My favorite was the allosaurus and the giant sloth (both left, upper row, arms bent and held up) because they looked like they were boxers,  ready to punch someone...each other often when I played with them.  I also especially liked the ankylosaurus (brown, in the middle)...all that armor and the club tail.  And they all had their names on the underside.

3 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Serves 'em right! 

My wife isn't fond of gnomes either.  This would probably be the only way she would let any around our house :hearty-laugh:

My God. We don't have garden gnomes but we don't hate them that bad...

We have a T. rex (I think he is) in the garden, but he doesn't eat anybody. Mother calls him 'Ralph'.

5afcfad6ea243_Trexstatue.thumb.jpg.0aced2dfb071131efe3443fcf7260311.jpg

And another thing I forgot earlier...

5afcfad27e168_Trexskeleton.thumb.jpg.893610ecc2489f8de7f19f30dc711839.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

1 hour ago, Wrangellian said:

We have a T. rex (I think he is) in the garden, but he doesn't eat anybody. Mother calls him 'Ralph'.

Those are great.  How big is the garden dinosaur?

2 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Ralph is great . Thank for sharing  :dinothumb:

1 hour ago, Peat Burns said:

Those are great.  How big is the garden dinosaur?

Thanks both..  I guess he's not quite 3 feet.

I have a wonderful friend, while certainly brilliant intellectually he lacks "imagination." Given this deficit and the fact his twin grandsons had reached the age of four, I sprang into action. As a gift, I acquired a HUGE box of used dino figures from that famous auction site. When they arrived, I was greatly pleased at the great number (a couple dozen) and the variety of form. However, opening the box quickly demonstrated that the replicas had spent their time in a tobacco smoke laden environment. Into the bathtub they went. Floating there I was struck by their color and form. This image of a small section of the assemblage; I find it intriguing enough that it resides in my PCs slide show of screen savers. I am pleased to say that my friend made these available to not only the twins, but to subsequent grandkids as well. Thus they had a long run of play in their new home. When that set of kids became more interested in video games than plastic dinos, their grandmother, a teacher, took the whole lot to her elementary school. I like to believe that they still reside there bringing wonder and delight. 

IMG_3291z.thumb.jpg.d1be8c78fbcca2ce75f02060491c5fb3.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

1 hour ago, snolly50 said:

I have a wonderful friend, while certainly brilliant intellectually he lacks "imagination." Given this deficit and the fact his twin grandsons had reached the age of four, I sprang into action. As a gift, I acquired a HUGE box of used dino figures from that famous auction site. When they arrived, I was greatly pleased at the great number (a couple dozen) and the variety of form. However, opening the box quickly demonstrated that the replicas had spent their time in a tobacco smoke laden environment. Into the bathtub they went. Floating there I was struck by their color and form. This image of a small section of the assemblage; I find it intriguing enough that it resides in my PCs slide show of screen savers. I am pleased to say that my friend made these available to not only the twins, but to subsequent grandkids as well. Thus they had a long run of play in their new home. When that set of kids became more interested in video games than plastic dinos, their grandmother, a teacher, took the whole lot to her elementary school. I like to believe that they still reside there bringing wonder and delight. 

That's a great story. Cool dinosaurs too.

5 hours ago, snolly50 said:

bringing wonder and delight. 

Thank you @snolly50 I was hoping you would comment on this thread. I also share your sentiment regarding the wonderment  that a child can gained from a played with plastic Dinosaur.

16 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Splendid! 

How do you know the one in the garden doesn't eat anybody?

He looks very well fed to me.

Unlike the second one.  

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

8 hours ago, snolly50 said:

IMG_3291z.thumb.jpg.d1be8c78fbcca2ce75f02060491c5fb3.jpg

This seems to show that stegosaurs and other herbiverous dinosaurs plus raptors can swim, or at least float and that heavier carnosaurs and flying reptiles cannot. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

Interesting thread and it does bring back the nostalgia as I remember having the toys as a child.

Lucky me, my daughter decided to decorate my baby grandson's room with dinosaurs.

could be that we watched all the land before time movies many times when she was little - (after several viewing I saw them fully at least once).

Mike

18 hours ago, Mike from North Queensland said:

Interesting thread and it does bring back the nostalgia as I remember having the toys as a child.

Lucky me, my daughter decided to decorate my baby grandson's room with dinosaurs.

could be that we watched all the land before time movies many times when she was little - (after several viewing I saw them fully at least once).

Mike

Hi Mike thank you for your kind comments . In this  thread I am trying explain why we are fascinated by dinosaurs and how the plastic dinosaur  may have played a key part in me or some of us been fossil collectors. 

I think nostalgia has definitely contributed to my collection and maybe to your daughters  decor choice. All the best Bobby