Show us your plastic dinosaur

Bobby Rico

Just now, Peat Burns said:

Thanks.  That's my best friend.:)

Yes he is a beautiful boy . My dog won’t be taking to Mrs Rico or me as we sent him to the greyhound hotel for a holiday as we are in the Netherlands.  He forgive us after a day or two.

• I found this Informative 1

43 minutes ago, caldigger said:

"We're all going to die from a big rock falling from the sky?!  

Ha, Ha, Ha...oh boy, that's a good one!"

20180722_133013.png

Let me tell you one more, we are related to birds.:ighappy:

3 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Let me tell you one more, we are related to birds.:ighappy:

:ighappy: "birds? Pull the other one, it has bells on it" Rawr!

• I found this Informative 3

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

7 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Yes he is a beautiful boy . My dog won’t be taking to Mrs Rico or me as we sent him to the greyhound hotel for a holiday as we are in the Netherlands.  He forgive us after a day or two.

You're lucky it's not a cat.  You'd have to sleep with one eye open for the next month! :D

11 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

I just got back from a week-long fishing trip and had to leave my buddy at the boarding facility.  Always hate to do that, but he seems to like it there and is familiar with it (my veterinarian has a boarding facility on site, which gives me great peace of mind if something were to go wrong health-wise).

3 hours ago, Walt said:

Bobby, back in the golden age of traveling, here in the states, there were dozens of dino themed parks out west to bring in the kiddos from route 66.  Even motels with elaborate dino sculptures.  Some were cheesier than others, and none were built as "art", but they did the job and a few survive today.  I miss those innocent days :)

VAWHIdino_01ks.jpg

Thanks Walt  very much for adding to my post. I am still captivated by the Dinosaur sculpture of the past and do think if kids of today had the opportunity to enjoy them , they still would. The incredible size of them will still fascinate. They are fantastic definitely the good old days  :D

These are a funny pair of sculptures one is a dinosaur and the other is I think a kangaroo. Not sure if it is a comment on how early paleontologist mounted T.rex in the kangaroo pose.

BF8F6564-490E-46F3-BAEF-DE0E630F93FB.jpeg

4C8F9861-B3EE-464F-B792-B9FAEE9491B8.jpeg

Barnum Brown examines the skeleton of Tyrannosaurus rex, mounted in its original misguided “Godzilla or kangaroo ” pose. The T-Rex would become by far the most famous of the dinosaurs, a crowd-pleaser in films like 1925’s “The Lost World”; wrestling with the giant ape in “King Kong”; and, of course, wreaking havoc in the “Jurassic Park” movies.

E8DD2735-F494-4719-B488-02901641763A.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

Ya Bob, not real sure what's going on here. 

It has a head of a dragon, an open pouch and what looks like utters.

A Dramoogaroo! :P

20180722_171259.png

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Your artist is obviously an expert in Tyranasuar anatomy.  Note the long forelimbs with five digits.

20180722_172004.png

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

9 hours ago, Walt said:

Bobby, back in the golden age of traveling, here in the states, there were dozens of dino themed parks out west to bring in the kiddos from route 66.  Even motels with elaborate dino sculptures.  Some were cheesier than others, and none were built as "art", but they did the job and a few survive today.  I miss those innocent days :)

Over on the mainland (Bridal Falls, east of Chilliwack) there used to be a theme park called 'Flintstones Bedrock City', with large cement dino statues painted in gaudy colors that kids could climb on, rides, etc, and then in the 1990s it changed to 'Dusty's Dinotown', much the same but without the Flintstones characters, just generic Barney-like dino characters. Anyone in this part of the world remember stopping in there on their way through?

It has long since closed (2010 apparently), but I think the statues remained as they were not easily moved. Not sure if they are still there but the place might be an RV park. Last few times I was through there, there was an impressive mineral collection in a showroom next to a gas station/restaurant at the site, right off the highway. Well worth a stop if it's still there.

Hanna-Barbara probably wasn't getting any royalties from the Flintstone theme so they pulled Fred and the gang back to the stone age. 

There just aren't too many if those family oriented attractions left anymore. Kids are too engrossed in their phones to care much for the simpler things we enjoyed as kids. :(

• I found this Informative 6

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

2 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Hanna-Barbara probably wasn't getting any royalties from the Flintstone theme so they pulled Fred and the gang back to the stone age. 

There just aren't too many if those family oriented attractions left anymore. Kids are too engrossed in their phones to care much for the simpler things we enjoyed as kids. :(

I pass by so many parks and playgrounds that are largely absent of kids. When I was a kid, during the summer I only came home to eat and sleep, and not hole myself up in a bedroom playing online video games. :( Kind of makes you wonder what kind of childhood memories the stay-at-home-and-game kids will have to look back on in the future. :unsure: 

• I found this Informative 4

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

13 hours ago, caldigger said:

I guess. I gather they had some sort of license originally, but lost it for some reason.

I was sorry to hear of the closing of a rather odd outdoor "museum" that I enjoyed with my kids nearly thirty years ago. The Petrified Creatures Museum, in Richfield Springs, NY, closed about two years ago. It was a tiny place that looked like a large backyard with a few concrete dinosaur statues. It opened as a small fossil museum in 1934 and the dinosaurs were added later, in the 1950s I think. By the time I visited with my kids it was all rather run down, but it seems like everything got a new coat of paint a few years later.

5b569039bd7b6_petrifiedcreaturesmuseum.jpg.58c461ee08937c0b4a47f772f00eac96.jpg

iguanodon.jpg.8c4ed1d0b353ce2c4dc2b337ac085e3d.jpg

The most fun for me and my kids was the small outcrop of favosites coral that we could chip away at.  It renewed my dormant interest in fossils. It was an outdated little roadside attraction, but I'm sorry to see it go.

This website has photos of roadside dinosaurs all over the U.S.  I had fun browsing.

• I found this Informative 5

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

On 7/22/2018 at 11:22 PM, Wrangellian said:

Over on the mainland (Bridal Falls, east of Chilliwack) there used to be a theme park called 'Flintstones Bedrock City', with large cement dino statues painted in gaudy colors that kids could climb on, rides, etc, and then in the 1990s it changed to 'Dusty's Dinotown', much the same but without the Flintstones characters, just generic Barney-like dino characters. Anyone in this part of the world remember stopping in there on their way through?

It has long since closed (2010 apparently), but I think the statues remained as they were not easily moved. Not sure if they are still there but the place might be an RV park. Last few times I was through there, there was an impressive mineral collection in a showroom next to a gas station/restaurant at the site, right off the highway. Well worth a stop if it's still there.

There used to be a Flintstones Bedrock City in Custer, South Dakota as well. I remember going there as a kid. I remember it was a little disappointing that they had the inside of the houses roped off so you could only look inside.

:D:D:D they tasted a little old, though.

vintage flinstones postcard.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

9 hours ago, Walt said:

:D:D:D they tasted a little old, though.

vintage flinstones postcard.jpg

Kinda crunchy, but filled with minerals!

Sundaes 30 to 40 cents

Shakes and malts 30 cents

Cold drinks 10 to 20 cents

Ahh, those were the days!!!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

There's a place in Alpena, Michigan, called "Dinosaur Gardens" that has an interesting history dating back to 1935 and has been resurrected again for tourists.  You can read about the history here: DINO GARDENS HISTORY

Screenshot_20180725-220440_Chrome.jpg.55014c8151d748448c00bf709d735686.jpg

And to add icing to the cake, Alpena is a terrific place to hunt Devonian fossils...:D

• I found this Informative 7

2 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

And to add icing to the cake, Alpena is a terrific place to hunt Devonian fossils...:D

This I knew, so I would not have thought of dinosaurs when I think of Alpena!

Only have two plastic dinosaur's one given to me as a gift the spinosaurus (missing the nasal crest however) and the Tyrannosaurus rex skeleton model requested as a Christmas gift.

plastic.jpg

• I found this Informative 4