Show us your plastic dinosaur

Bobby Rico

1 hour ago, Misha said:

Might make it more gray like the actual fossils

A couple of thought please if you already do this it is mainly for other members who might like to do a project like ours. I always find good resources to paint from like photos of specimens from museums. I would maybe lighten or change the colour of the teeth slightly to the rest of the skull.  Do you know how to paint using the dry brush technique? If not I can help there.

Looking very nice thanks for sharing 

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Do you know how to paint using the dry brush technique?

I have heard of this technique but because I just got into this stuff I have not had much time to experiment, and I would love to know details about it. I have recently found a beautiful stegoceras scull scan that I might also print out when I finish up my new printer setup and it would be nice to try new ways of painting it.

3 hours ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

You could try to correct it like @Mahnmut is doing in this thread

Just a thought. It is a very nice display piece though.:dinothumb:

Interesting idea, and it could definitely be a fun project, it could be fairly easy to sculpt on top of, and change some of the features, maybe I will try that once I get more free time.

My cute mexican bobble-head dinosomething:

20190129_112207.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

"The baneful Dragons, O Seas, are gone: Fiends, 0 Earth, have filled thee with the bones of Defeat and Death."

10 hours ago, Misha said:

I have heard of this technique but because I just got into this stuff I have not had much time to experiment, and I would love to know details about it. I have recently found a beautiful stegoceras scull scan that I might also print out when I finish up my new printer setup and it would be nice to try new ways of painting it.

How to dry brush is simple but your need to practice a little. Dry brushing adds colour to your object that your paint mainly the high lights or low lights. If just for a idea take your skull as a starting point. The paint you have now added to it lets call it a base coat. 

Tools you need is a few soft brushes , paints and kitchen roll paper. You said you may paint it more grey . Mix up a light gray colour this is for high lightings. Add the paint to the brush and then using the kitchen roll remove almost all the paint from the brush. Then start lightly  brushing over the skull, not like you would painting but more like your are dusting of the skull. You will then see the texture of the modal start to appear. Dry brush is about adding thin layers of paint to build up the right look colour to an model or painting. 

Give it a go also type Dry bushing into YouTube and there are plenty of videos to watch . Bobby 

• I found this Informative 3

20 minutes ago, ReptileTooth said:

My cute mexican bobble-head dinosomething:

20190129_112207.jpg

I had bought a couple turtles in that style probably close to 20 years ago for my mom.  They are still on display in her house with the rest of her turtles.

image.png.ab12f66afc3dae49115829f52a2feac1.png

Thanks for recommending my "method", but the things I have been correcting are rather cheap toys, this looks like a nice sculpture to me, even if some details are wrong.

Better than most of mine actually. What is it made of?

If you are wondering what the artist had in mind, maybe he didn´t find good references for all directions. Happens to me all the time.

As I mentioned , the toy Giraffatitan (on this level of detail we may well call it a Brachiosaurus) had one single "rib" running down the front of his neck, which looks fine as long as you only have a profile view to compare it to.

Ok, I only just saw it is a 3d-print,  could have taken it for wood. So why not, go ahead and make it even better.

Aloha

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

1 minute ago, BLT said:

dinosaur coloring book

That’s lovely indeed are you going to colour it in?   :)

Just now, Bobby Rico said:

That’s lovely indeed are you going to colour it in?   :)

Thanks, I rather like it! :) No, I won’t color in it. I’m actually trying to decide if I should frame or shadow box it to prevent further yellowing and damage. 

As you have already scanned them, you can colour them in digitally or on a copy if the mood should take you.

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Ok let’s have some fun captions for these jokers.

27E072EC-DEC4-4B15-8181-440B1874F9F7.jpeg

Ug lets go clubbing tonight.  

• I found this Informative 2

They remind me  of ''Quest for fire''!:ighappy:

Caption: ''That was penalty!snarge you, referee!''

"The baneful Dragons, O Seas, are gone: Fiends, 0 Earth, have filled thee with the bones of Defeat and Death."

On 1/30/2019 at 3:10 AM, Bobby Rico said:

I hung my postcard today and I think it looks nice.

EC180766-B849-4BAA-9A75-BBC75C40465B.jpeg

Bobby,

You bring up a hobby within a hobby.  There are still people who collect postcards and a lot of them specialize in particular topics including dinosaurs/prehistoric life.  I don't have a big collection, but whenever I visit a museum, I check to see if it has any paleo-related postcards. 

Jess

5 hours ago, siteseer said:

Bobby,

You bring up a hobby within a hobby.  There are still people who collect postcards and a lot of them specialize in particular topics including dinosaurs/prehistoric life.  I don't have a big collection, but whenever I visit a museum, I check to see if it has any paleo-related postcards. 

Jess

Hi Jess

I am the most curious of collector, maybe even a collector of collections if you like. :) 

I always when visiting museums exit though the gift shop and too buy postage of dinosaurs or their collections. I don’t usually keep the cards but send to friends. Please if you get the time can post some of your postcards here I would love to see them. 

Cheers Bobby

I bought this 27-inch-long model on a favorite auction site, brand new for $17.00. It will arrive in a couple days.  Reviews are not good because the plastic is not very rigid and doesn't fit well.  But I have unique plans for it that will make it better than how it was designed. :muahaha:

Screenshot_20190207-174507_Chrome.thumb.jpg.59cdd12b569102ec32a04626bc38b7bf.jpg

10 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

I bought this 27-inch-long model on a favorite auction site, brand new for $17.00. It will arrive in a couple days.  Reviews are not good because the plastic is not very rigid and doesn't fit well.  But I have unique plans for it that will make it better than how it was designed. :muahaha:

Convert it into an athyrid? :ninja:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 minute ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Convert it into an athyrid? :ninja:

Bahahahaha! No. But I have plans to make a Rosary out of brachiopods for a friend of mine who is a Dominican Sister (Nun)!  I think I'll need to make 2, because I'll want one...

13 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

unique plans for it that will make it better than how it was designed. 

Sounds interesting  :popcorn:

5 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

Bahahahaha! No. But I have plans to make a Rosary out of brachiopods for a friend of mine who is a Dominican Sister (Nun)!  I think I'll need to make 2, because I'll want one...

What a wonderful and unique inspiration!:)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

5 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

What a wonderful and unique inspiration!:)

Adam, @Peat Burns Tony did not tell you that he was using the ginormous brachiopods from Sylvania- lol, that thing will weigh 5 pounds.