Show us your plastic dinosaur

Bobby Rico

While at an antique store today, I found these two kids’ meal dinosaur toddler toys from 1990. (Bronto Cheeseburger & Small Fry-Ceratops)

C0306FA4-32D6-4EB6-AE50-C5B0997E1824.jpeg

09ABE933-FFA5-4337-9B2B-1F6CDD0FEAA5.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

Oh it is a sad day indeed when you discover items from the '90s to be considered antiques!  :(

• I Agree 1

1 minute ago, caldigger said:

Oh it is a sad day indeed when you discover items from the '90s to be considered antiques!  :(

I agree. :wacko:

Whelp, I finished the 28-inch-long $17 cheapo dinosaur model I bought a few months ago.  I think it looks rather respectable after a few modifications...

20190423_213547.thumb.jpg.a68378706a2d02046148b289d2e9e789.jpg

• I found this Informative 4
  • I Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

Whelp, I finished the 28-inch-long $17 cheapo dinosaur model I bought a few months ago.  I think it looks rather respectable after a few modifications...

What modifications did you do?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John

I had a friend once, but the wheels fell off. Sad, very sad. - Nightwing

15 minutes ago, JohnBrian said:

What modifications did you do?

I filed off molding / casting "tabs", filled joints (i.e. not skeletal joints) between pieces with paleosculp, filed down the pegs so the pieces fit together snugly (which is one of the main gripes about this model), painted and dry brushed it (the plastic pieces did not match - it looked like they mixed two batches, so some bones were grayish, and others were brownish), covered the brown plastic base with ready-mix grout to match the Hell Creek Matrix, and painted the metal support rods.  I was going to attach a metal wire to the inside of the rib cage to properly space and form the ribs (the material used for this model is elastic / not very rigid and thin pieces don't conform to position), but that ended up being more complicated than I wanted to mess with. 

• I found this Informative 4

Just to be true to the genius of our forefather paleontologists, you should have attached the skull to the end of the tail. :default_rofl:

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

Just to be true to the genius of our forefather paleontologists, you should have attached the skull to the end of the tail. :default_rofl:

And then name a new group of dino because the articular processes run in the reverse direction.  :ighappy:

4 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

Whelp, I finished the 28-inch-long $17 cheapo dinosaur model I bought a few months ago.  I think it looks rather respectable after a few modifications..

Looks great! Good job.:)

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

4 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

20190423_213900.thumb.jpg.c50b1183391f0b4a6e019fb5bf5536cc.jpg

Looks fantastic and an expensive kit., Great work mate :wub:

4 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Looks great! Good job.:)

4 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Looks fantastic and an expensive kit., Great work mate :wub:

Thanks guys :)

Several weeks ago, I saw a National Geographic magazine from August 1978 at an antique store. It had an interesting article on dinosaurs. Although I wanted it at the time, I wasn’t willing to pay the asking price. Yesterday, I was quite pleased to find the same issue at a different store for next to nothing. :i_am_so_happy:

F2F229B8-2C8C-4605-9F41-A17192B00FC1.jpeg

28026368-2A01-4F4F-ABAA-8F1A23758080.jpeg

063A2F71-5DBC-40C6-A43D-F9BDFAD1B2B1.jpeg

E112A855-BFE9-4E1D-AE3C-8880375F04FE.jpeg

7 hours ago, BLT said:

National Geographic magazine from August 1978

Nice I don’t have this one in my collection. When I get time this week I will photograph some of my dinosaur editions. Thank you for sharing.  :wub:

7 hours ago, BLT said:

Several weeks ago, I saw a National Geographic magazine from August 1978 at an antique store. It had an interesting article on dinosaurs. Although I wanted it at the time, I wasn’t willing to pay the asking price. Yesterday, I was quite pleased to find the same issue at a different store for next to nothing. :i_am_so_happy:

Yes, it pays to shop around if you're looking for old issues of National Geographic (or any magazine).  Some used bookstores are practically giving them away.  I found one of those 1950's Life magazines with prehistoric mammals on the cover for $4 at a flea market.  It's a little beat-up but in good shape for its age and fragility.

1 hour ago, siteseer said:

Yes, it pays to shop around if you're looking for old issues of National Geographic (or any magazine).  Some used bookstores are practically giving them away.  I found one of those 1950's Life magazines with prehistoric mammals on the cover for $4 at a flea market.  It's a little beat-up but in good shape for its age and fragility.

Definitely! I do enjoy the hunt for a real bargain. I can easily spend hours at a time in used bookstores. I’ve found several keepers in the freebie bins. I found a huge stack of the National Geographic magazines @ 6/$1.00, so I was very pleased with the purchase price. I bought one from 1944 which I especially like, but the cover is in rough shape. 

16 hours ago, BLT said:

063A2F71-5DBC-40C6-A43D-F9BDFAD1B2B1.jpeg

Poor Edmontosaurus.. always portrayed as cows for the T rex... Despite popular opinion, I think herbivores are way cooler #TeamOrnithischia :)

It's pretty amazing how much science has uncovered during the last 40 years.  Like that Triassic diagram is woefully under-representing actual diversity during that time.

1 hour ago, olorotitan said:

Poor Edmontosaurus.. always portrayed as cows for the T rex... Despite popular opinion, I think herbivores are way cooler #TeamOrnithischia :)

It's pretty amazing how much science has uncovered during the last 40 years.  Like that Triassic diagram is woefully under-representing actual diversity during that time.

Me too I really like Edmontosaurus they are not just food for T.rex but very cool creatures.  :ighappy:

I started this threads I thought it was fascinating that though children’s toys of the past to present, it is possible to understand the science of the time the toys was made. Plastic dinosaur time frame.

D45FD856-4AC1-4ED0-ADF9-C5D08A9CFDA2.jpeg

There seems to be something vaguely familiar about this one!

20190425_041633.png

Yes...by Jove, I think I've got it!

20190425_041828.png

:thumbsu:

22 hours ago, BLT said:

National Geographic magazine from August 1978 at an antique store.

I bought a copy at an antique store also.

@Peat Burns Tony that T-Rex came out very nice, I gave mine to my son to mess with, I opened it and said “this is not for me”. It is not like building a 1/32 F-14 Tomcat, I do miss building models.

19 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

@Peat Burns Tony that T-Rex came out very nice, I gave mine to my son to mess with, I opened it and said “this is not for me”. It is not like building a 1/32 F-14 Tomcat, I do miss building models.

Thanks, Ralph.  Yeah, it's one thing to put together a model and quite another to put together a model made of inferior materials that don't fit together or hold their intended form...

6 hours ago, olorotitan said:

It's pretty amazing how much science has uncovered during the last 40 years.  

4 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

I started this threads I thought it was fascinating that though children’s toys of the past to present, it is possible to understand the science of the time the toys was made.

I can remember singing the pterodactyl song every morning during circle time when I was in kindergarten. (1970’s) Because of the repetition of singing the song daily at such a young age, I’ve always been fascinated with them. Lol

In my opinion, this is the most entertaining thread on the forum! I always find it interesting to see the vintage dinosaur toys and other items posted on here. :) 

3 hours ago, BLT said:

I can remember singing the pterodactyl song every morning during circle time when I was in kindergarten. (1970’s) 

Not familiar with that one. You'll have to do a YouTube vid of you singing it and post it. :P

4 hours ago, BLT said:

pterodactyl song every morning during circle

I don’t know this song ether so as Doren said we really need to see it song. :ighappy: 

And thank for kind comments.