Show us your plastic dinosaur

Bobby Rico

On 5/12/2018 at 1:39 PM, Troodon said:

Nice find been trying to find a big original one

Hi Troodon,

I hadn't heard of the dinosaur soap until early this year when a friend gave me one.  A relative of hers had found a few of them when he had the opportunity to "pick" a warehouse that had been closed up for at least 20 years.  It was still in the old box.  I read later that the soap was recently reproduced in the same shape with a different but similar box.  

Yeah, the old dinosaur stuff is fun to look at again.  I still have a few old books too.

Jess

On 5/11/2018 at 10:05 PM, Peat Burns said:

It's interesting how long some of these molds were and continue to be in existence.

A bit of history of the Tim-Mee dinosaurs et al. can be found here.  Interesting read : 

Tim-Mee

My Tim-Mee shown above are the 70s "smooth series"

The rebirth of Tim-Mee dinosaurs made from vintage molds and available for purchase here:

Tim-mee USA

The large hollow dinosaurs were made by Ajax and Tootsie Toy originally in the 50s and 60s, but have been re-issued, presumably by other companies thereafter.  You are correct that the original sets came with an Apatosaurus.  Unfortunately, mine did not, or I lost it and forgot...

Screenshot_20180512-005223.thumb.jpg.9bb6111bbfdf08c64b501e650d947f76.jpg

This thread has gotten me interested in collecting some of the dinosaurs issued by Sinclair to go along with the rest of my Sinclair collection :)

Peat Burns,

Thanks for the info.  I can't tell you how many Saturday mornings after the cartoons had pretty much ended by 1030 that I'd go in the backyard and create my own swamp for my dinosaurs.  There's a lot of clay in the soil in spots here so the water didn't soak in too fast.  They had spots of jungle too.  Kids today can't relate to the fact that you can still have a universe of fun without a phone.  I was happy with some plastic dinosaurs, those Noah's Ark plastic animals from Arco gas stations, and a few Matchbox cars.

Jess

• I found this Informative 1

And as an imaginative kid, I am sure there wasn't a thing wrong with mixing animals of different time periods and toy cars with dinosaurs. Play was play back then. 

What's so weird with a dino driving a Tonka truck?!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

So let me ask this, is it popular belief that Plesiosaurs spent much time on land? I have seen them depicted that way many times. I was always under the assumption they were fully aquatic like whales.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

4 minutes ago, caldigger said:

So let me ask this, is it popular belief that Plesiosaurs spent much time on land? I have seen them depicted that way many times. I was always under the assumption they were fully aquatic like whales.

I think fully aquatic, the Crystal Palace sculpture is misguided. I do think they are really cool creatures and have sparked of some good legends from around the world.

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

I may be way off here, but I seem to recall some speculating that they may have come on to land to lay eggs until a relatively recent find of  what appears to be a fetus in an adult skeleton.  Maybe that's where some early depictions of them on land arose?

• I found this Informative 3

Just now, Peat Burns said:

I may be way off here, but I seem to recall some speculating that they may have come on to land to lay eggs until a relatively recent find OH what appears to be a fetus in an adult skeleton.  Maybe that's where some early depictions of them on land arose?

Yes, though i also think people just connected them with turtles and assumed a similar lifestyle. 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 hours ago, siteseer said:

Peat Burns,

Thanks for the info.  I can't tell you how many Saturday mornings after the cartoons had pretty much ended by 1030 that I'd go in the backyard and create my own swamp for my dinosaurs.  There's a lot of clay in the soil in spots here so the water didn't soak in too fast.  They had spots of jungle too.  Kids today can't relate to the fact that you can still have a universe of fun without a phone.  I was happy with some plastic dinosaurs, those Noah's Ark plastic animals from Arco gas stations, and a few Matchbox cars.

Jess

Absolutely agree.  And how nostalgic to recall saturday morning cartoons on the three available channels that carried them (i.e. before cable and satellite).  And then Land of the Lost, although not a cartoon, was appointment TV, just to see the dinosaurs - especially "grumpy" the Allosaurus or was it a T. rex (?)

Play began with the cartoons and then continued thereafter with our plastic dinosaurs, Legos, and our imaginations. I sound like an old man, lol.  I guess I'm fast becoming one.  But I liked what the old men of my youth used to tell me about their boyhood toys, too.  I've adopted their Lionel trains as a hobby despite all my collection being made long before I was born.  

A nice story a large, 30-foot prop Loch Ness monster built for Wilder’s film The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes 1969, sank on the first day it was towed out to the lake for filming, has been located on the floor of the lake, and was (of course) discovered by a team looking for proof of the real  Nessie.

B399ABD9-FED1-4999-B6A9-B7D1A439EB30.png

97C748F1-1A34-4B4C-A16E-9A41B1E66558.jpeg

1DD3B929-BC82-465A-B8C4-1D99380E47C0.jpeg

56C9749F-F6EB-4547-A008-52521615731F.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

On 28/05/2018 at 4:26 AM, Adam86cucv said:

And the other book.

IMG_20180527_220133076.jpg

This book looks cool, thanks for posting it on my thread. Cheers Bobby 

4 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

This book looks cool, thanks for posting it on my thread. Cheers Bobby 

It's pretty neat not a real in depth book, but shows a lot of lesser known critters.

3 minutes ago, Adam86cucv said:

It's pretty neat not a real in depth book, but shows a lot of lesser known critters.

Please If you get a chance I would like to see some more  of the illustrations in that book. Thank you

On 5/9/2018 at 10:27 PM, Peat Burns said:

In the early 1980s, these "dinosaur" erasers were all the rage at my elementary school in northern Indiana and were traded among my classmates.  These are what remain in my collection of youth memorabilia. 

Resized_20180510_004851.thumb.jpeg.4d05e8e7f4be542ff8e00a9659a4b8d8.jpeg

Oh, I wonder if that's what I've got in my pic.. not exactly the same but similar, and they do seem to erase pencil marks! Thanks for posting. I guess the Dino Egg Soap items were something else...

On 5/17/2018 at 2:01 PM, Tidgy's Dad said:

Splendid! 

How do you know the one in the garden doesn't eat anybody?

He looks very well fed to me.

Unlike the second one.  

Good observation!  :rofl:

On 5/27/2018 at 8:26 PM, Adam86cucv said:

And the other book.

IMG_20180527_220133076.jpg

We had that one since way back, but can't seem to find it at the moment.

Great, now I've got to take pics of all the dino books we've still got from that time... There are some fun ones.

I think we've still got a set of those cards somewhere too, Bobby. Wonder what else this thread will remind me that we have (or used to), that I haven't seen in years? :popcorn:

1 hour ago, Wrangellian said:

We had that one since way back, but can't seem to find it at the moment.

Great, now I've got to take pics of all the dino books we've still got from that time... There are some fun ones.

I think we've still got a set of those cards somewhere too, Bobby. Wonder what else this thread will remind me that we have (or used to), that I haven't seen in years? :popcorn:

I believe that Amazon has used copies starting at a low price. I saw that Peter Zallinger also wrote a dinosaur book around the same time period.  

My Friends little boy posted me a cool drawing. Very sweet.:dinothumb:

9393EE55-106B-4528-9A9C-4D0DACC2B0AA.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

Cute. Your friend ought to invest in a larger pad for that boy! :doh!:

Thank you he is a good little artist. 

Thanks to everyone who has veiwed and  contributed to my post,  very much appreciated. I really wanted to connect to the feelings of nostalgia though this thread. The fun thing is dinosaur toys are timeless and always very popular with kids. So dinosaurs will always have a sense of nostalgia to them, no matter what decade we are in or looking back too. This thread has proven this because of different timelines the toys or films where made, that you all kindly added. 

I also asked myself  if I had not have been captivated by the plastic dinosaur as a child would I be a fossil collectior now? Probably not. 

On 5/28/2018 at 3:44 PM, Peat Burns said:

Absolutely agree.  And how nostalgic to recall saturday morning cartoons on the three available channels that carried them (i.e. before cable and satellite).  And then Land of the Lost, although not a cartoon, was appointment TV, just to see the dinosaurs - especially "grumpy" the Allosaurus or was it a T. rex (?)

Play began with the cartoons and then continued thereafter with our plastic dinosaurs, Legos, and our imaginations. I sound like an old man, lol.  I guess I'm fast becoming one.  But I liked what the old men of my youth used to tell me about their boyhood toys, too.  I've adopted their Lionel trains as a hobby despite all my collection being made long before I was born.  

Peat Burns,

Oh yeah, Land of the Lost.   We had to watch that one.  Grumpy was the Tyrannosaurus.. Alice was the Allosaurus who patrolled around the temple where the Sleestak lived.  I recall thinking the theoretical physics lingo Enoch was using was a good challenge for a 10-year-old to try to grasp.

I remember the actor who played the dad left the show and then an uncle, who had gone looking for the family, arrived.  The actor was Ron Harper who had been on the Planet of the Apes TV show. 

Yeah, kids get cartoons 24 hours per day now.  Saturday mornings were special because that's when cartoons were clustered from 7 am to 10 am (some cartoons during the afterschool hours on weekdays until newstime (5-7 pm).  My brother and I were so excited about the cartoons, we'd be up as soon as 6am when there was just agriculture shows on (one of the channels had "The World of Survival," a nature show.  That was back when the few local channels you got would shut down around 130 am with a patriotic video and then static until 5-6 am.  Who remembers when you needed the magazine "TV Guide" to tell you what was on all week (although the newspaper could tell you what was on that day)?  I liked doing the crossword puzzle when I was a kid.

Jess

A couple blocks from my house. I'm guessing the human skeleton is the guy who was supposed to mow the lawn.

2018-05-28 07.50.37_resized (1).jpg

• I found this Informative 5

It’s an absolutely terrible picture, I know, but I thought they were neat. Located at the Hunterian Museum in Glasgow, Scotland. These are wooden cutouts that children (and adults) could have bought back in the 1920’s during their visit to the Natural History Museum in London. Created by artist Vernon Edwards, these 9 are thought to be the only surviving complete set.

68CDEB86-B9C7-400C-9E02-E36FA369E58D.jpeg

• I found this Informative 6

So those of you that have traded with me in the past know you get a plastic dino. Here are a few of my plastic friends ready for upcoming trades. Of course any traders are require to wear a tattoo also sent and display it on your body (within reason!) in any images you post here. @caldigger knows the score eh Doren :D 

• I found this Informative 2