Can someone pin down this ochopee member shell

dalmayshun

For awhile now, I have been trying to pin down this scallop. I think it is an argopecten, possibly comparilis, or evergladesensis, but the images I can find on line of those, seem to show ribs that are rounded on top. These shells have very  flat ribs, with a very slight indentation running down the center of each. The shells are offset a bit. I found them in the northern most edge of ochopee member of the Tamiami formation, along with euvola hemicyclica, and a really lovely little urchin test, the exact name of which I don't recall as I sit here typing. I have a collection of 30 different sizes I am trying to put together in a ryker box, but have not yet done so, because I just don't know the id...a friend suggested I check out dimarzipecten crocus....but that kind of obscure reference is wa-a-ay beyond me. I'd rather put to use someone's knowledge, if you know what it is, would you please take a moment and explain Why you i.d. it as you do. Much appreciated. 

20180507_143020-picsay.jpg

20180507_142840-picsay.jpg

20180507_142855-picsay.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

It's a beauty. Sometimes the hinge construction helps IDs. Do you have one already shucked?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Argopecten comparilis (Tuomey & Holmes, 1857).  LINK

It can be quite variable from the very inflated form jacksonensis to almost flattened ribs evergladensis, however Thomas Waller of the Smithsonian synonymized all within A. comparilis in his 1969 Paleontological Society Memior.

Mike

• I found this Informative 2

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

That's a very beautiful scallop! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Definitely not Dimarzipecten crocus which is a Upper Oligocene/Lower Miocene species found in Florida and North Carolina. LINK Two Argopceten species are found in the Tamiami, A. comparilis and A. anteamplicostata.  The latter has wider and fewer ribs than yours.

Mike

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain