Semi-aquatic Adaptations of a Brazilian Spinosaur

Troodon

For us Spinosaurid Geeks..

Interesting paper where Spinosaur histology is here described for the first time.  Although Paywalled there is lots of supporting documentation that we can abstract good info

Article

http://www.eartharchives.org/articles/brazilian-sail-backed-dinosaur-swam-long-before-spinosaurus/

Blog is full of information.

http://novataxa.blogspot.com/2018/05/spinosaurinae-romualdo.html

Paywalled paper

Aureliano, T., Ghilardi, A.M., Buck, P.V., Fabbri, M., Samathi, A., Delcourt, R., Fernandes, M.A., Sander, M., Semi-aquatic adaptations in a spinosaur from the Lower Cretaceous of Brazil, Cretaceous Research (2018),

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195667117305153

LPP-PV-0042-Romualdo_Spinosaurinae--2018_Aureliano_Ghilardi_Buck_et-al--@AlineGhilardi.thumb.jpg.a681353ad40adb7f9a51674b59acefaf.jpg

Density of bones,  typical of what we saw in the Spinosaurus paper.  Good future reference.

What I find interesting is the density of the crock bone in blue.  We see a number of hollow bones in the Kem Kem.

Screenshot_2018-05-07-12-08-39.thumb.jpg.de4d24b777af3f72cce5a4c643d228fe.jpg

Thank you for putting quite a large amount of Spinosaurus data in one complete section!
I have been needing something like this for quite a long time. (Mainly because it is very easy to interpret, unlike other websites / publishments, and does not include lengthy amounts of scientific doublespeak.)

I hope your composite Spinosaurus skull is looking more complete!
By the way, how is its construction going thus far? How much % complete? 
@Troodon

Is the fin-back model of Spinosaurids out of favor now? I was nurturing an idea that the adaptation (seen in the Permian finbacks) might have been tied to thermal regulation in the semi-aquatic critters.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

26 minutes ago, Auspex said:

Is the fin-back model of Spinosaurids out of favor now? I was nurturing an idea that the adaptation (seen in the Permian finbacks) might have been tied to thermal regulation in the semi-aquatic critters.

No the images are based on South American Spinosaurids, a version which appears to have a lower sail than what is found in Morocco.  The study is based on the histology of a single bone from Brazil,  shows that this group also appears to be semi-aquatic based on the bone density.   We know very little about Spinosaurids and all these discoveries add to our understanding of this family.   It also appears there are multiple Spinosaurids in Morocco and one might not have a high sail.

Too bad it's paywalled. But still very interesting. Thanks for posting.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

1 minute ago, LordTrilobite said:

Too bad it's paywalled. But still very interesting. Thanks for posting.

Wish that was not the case, I feel like buying it.  Have to wonder if the environment was similar to Morocco's and I'm not aware of any herbivores in the Santana Group but have limited knowledge.  

To the right:the reconstructed foodweb.

The results of histological analysis are to be interpreted with some measure of caution,BTW.

tr588jal.jpg

6 hours ago, doushantuo said:

To the right:the reconstructed foodweb.

The results of histological analysis are to be interpreted with some measure of caution,BTW.

Very similar to the food web in the Kem Kem.  Studies there with oxygen isotops in bones confirmed the semi-aquatic environment of Spinosaurids  

Hers is the actual Spinosaurid bone in the study.  Semi-Aquatic bone of a Spinosaurid.  Good reference photo for Kem Kem material.

DcX0acsXkAE7OpO.thumb.jpeg.8c16fec1e6775f6d73d16c2f9c4d398e.jpeg

Archived