Dpaul7

This was one of the few fossils we were able to bring home from our hunt.... Most were wood pieces of unknown variety.... really not enough detail to tell, I guess.  BUT - This one stood out for me.  Seems to be a large leaf!  Can someone tell me what kind?  I have never encountered one QUITE like this one... this large.

Thank you for looking!

IMG_8095.JPG

Possibly Cordaites, as it seems strap-like (assuming it's a partial).

Not a lot of detail preserved to go on...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I had also thought MAYBE cordiates - however, I have never found a REALLY NICE one in shale for comparison!

I seriously doubt that it is a leaf. The circular structure near the bottom looks more like a leaf trace. That would be where conducting tissues passed through excoriated cortex. I'm not at all certain of it though.

33 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I seriously doubt that it is a leaf. The circular structure near the bottom looks more like a leaf trace. That would be where conducting tissues passed through excoriated cortex. I'm not at all certain of it though.

Tend to agree, don't think it is a Cordaites leaf, given the structures at the bottom right end of the specimen. Not sure what it could be, though. Can definitely see Rockwood's point and at the same time cannot help wondering whether it could perhaps be a seed of some sort. Mysterious specimen!

Searching for green in the dark grey.

6 minutes ago, paleoflor said:

Tend to agree, don't think it is a Cordaites leaf, given the structures at the bottom right end of the specimen. Not sure what it could be, though. Can definitely see Rockwood's point and at the same time cannot help wondering whether it could perhaps be a seed of some sort. Mysterious specimen!

Good to hear from you. The term micropyle entered my head, but I knew I'd be over it to go there. :)

Archived