Fossil Finds In Belton Texas

BobC

Hotter than hell out there!!!! i went out around Stillhouse Lake near Belton and found some really cool snails and some sweet little Salenia Mexicana! Along with those guys, I found some spiny urchins and some mystery guys that I think are coral tips but I'm not sure. Here is a video:

Nice finds! Did you check out the vacant landfill corner on the north side of the road that goes across the lake?

Nope--didn't even know there was one. That was my first time out there. I was more driving around just checking things out. I'm just bored with my old spots so I decided to start slithering North.

They have ridges that go vertically to the tip--but the ridges on the bottom all kind of taper in to the middle and meet in the center.

Bob,

Those are indeed corals, and not just tips. They can be found in the Walnut. I have the sci. name somewhere. I'll send it to you when I locate it. I have found them in the Walnut around Kileen and near Golthwaite.

Thanks Gramps, Travis and Rox--I seem to spend a lot of my time in the Walnut Formation, mainly because that is where I started finding most of my echinoids. I am starting to learn formations now, which is really cool.♠ I consider myself much more an adventurer than a fossil guy--I love taking goofy little country roads and seeing what I find on them, and who I meet along the way. Texas has so much history.

You're quite welcome. Might I suggest the book "Roadside History of Texas", it's akin to the "Roadside Geology" series with a focus on local history. Adds a lot of interest to the area you're exploring.

I think that is the head to the Cracker Jacks girl ^_^

I have to say also, that I was watching your videos on Youtube the other day (I just associated that with you) and I think your dog Noodles is so cool!

Sorry, I know that is kinda off topic ;)

Thanks! Noodles is a cool pup! I have five dogs and she is more trouble than all the others combined! But she's so darned cute you can't stay mad at her. Glad you like the videos--but the crackerjack girl?

Gramps--thanks for the book advice, I might just snap that up

I thought it was a boy--but I haven't eaten Crackerjacks in like 30 years. Are you implying the Crackerjacks boy has had a gender change?

Way to go Bob, you are really stacking up those Echinoids.When I get down there to see ole Trav we will have to hook up for some Echie hunting.

Hotter than hell out there!!!! i went out around Stillhouse Lake near Belton and found some really cool snails and some sweet little Salenia Mexicana! Along with those guys, I found some spiny urchins and some mystery guys that I think are coral tips but I'm not sure. Here is a video:

Nice work, Bob. I've been wanting to check out the Belton Lake one of these days.

Snakey--you can come out with me anytime--but I am currently scouting new areas because most of my sites are pretty picked over. I'm in the mood to explore anyway so new sites will be coming right up!

Hey Mike--most of that stuff is pretty beaten up because it came from hard rocky areas--but it was fun just driving around that area. One of those snails is new to me, however, so that was cool. I also love finding those tiny little Salenia Mexicana because I have very few of them--I remember you found one in that clay pile in Florence when you, Owen and I went out.

Bob,

Those are indeed corals, and not just tips. They can be found in the Walnut. I have the sci. name somewhere. I'll send it to you when I locate it. I have found them in the Walnut around Kileen and near Golthwaite.

Found the Genus name. It is Parasimilia sp. Don't think I ever had the sp. name.

I dont guess he has had a gender change, but you never know. :D

I have the Roadside Geology of Texas book, it is pretty neat.

Found the Genus name. It is Parasimilia sp. Don't think I ever had the sp. name.

Haven't seen any of those in the Walnut before. I looked them up. Now I have something else to keep an eye out for.

It's been my experience, when I find these particular corals in the Kwa that the Salenia mexicana are nearby. Nice finds.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

It's been my experience, when I find these particular corals in the Kwa that the Salenia mexicana are nearby. Nice finds.

Nice tip, John. Thanks.

Bob,

Regarding the coral, I did a little google searching myself and noticed that Dan Woehr ID'ed a Kwa coral from Belton as Parasimilia austinensis in his Oct. 2006 Meanderings rept. He doesn't give a source, but I'm confident that Dan knew more in 10/06 than I do now about the ID. [That boy does his homework.] So for now I'd refer you to Dan's report - http://www.bcfas.org/museum/Meander/2006/F...October06-1.pdf. If Dan sees this, he may be able to supply the original reference for his ID.

Ain't fossiling a kick!

Gramps