Fossil Finds In Belton Texas

BobC

Haven't seen any of those in the Walnut before. I looked them up. Now I have something else to keep an eye out for.

Up here around Austin they are smaller and not always present in every Walnut exposure.

FYI don't be too conspicuos if you are collecting on the Corp of Engineering's property around Stillhouse Lake. I have had one encounter with a ranger(?) who informed me there was no collecting allowed. I was just walking across the spillway but had my pick with me. He was nice about it but made it clear he didn't want to find me with any rocks or fossils. The Austin paleo society has also been informed that collecting in the preserve below the dam is prohibited. Real drag...it was a favorite for good gastropods with shell and Salenias.

Just a lucky guess, but thanks for the compliment Grandpa! I may have seen the coral in Finsley's book. I often find them in association with S. mexicana in the Kwa as mentioned by Johnny....

As for Stillhouse, I've taken some nice Phymosoma and Engonoceras there, but backed away from the site as it had been seeing too much pressure from clubs.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."