Are there any models/toys of Steneosaurus (Jurassic marine crocodyliform) out there?

jpenn

Does anyone know if toys/models of Steneosaurus (the slender-bodied longirostral Jurassic teleosaurid crocodyliform often found in Europe and the UK) exist? I'd like to get one if I can.

Closest thing I could find was the Safari LTD Prehistoric Crocodile Toob.

Sounds like someone needs to get sculpting. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I couldn't find any toys/models of it. Best i could find is merchandise of Steneosaurus (shirts, mugs, iphone covers, pictures etc) but they are all the same design, you can check it out here https://www.zazzle.com/steneosaurus+gifts.

Sorry, hopefully someone can find what you are looking for. Best of luck.

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

Closest thing I could find was the Safari LTD Prehistoric Crocodile Toob.

Sounds like someone needs to get sculpting. ;) 

Interesting set, the Phytosaur could go with some fossils of mine actually. But I also have some Steneosaurus fossils I definitely want to put up on the shelf, and if I can I like to display them with companion models to represent the animals in life.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

thanks for recommending me.

A Crocodylomorph is still on my to-do list. Until now I didn´t dare trying it because building a skeleton with all those osteoderms is much more detailwork than I did on any one skeleton up to now.

I pondered using a scan of a recent species and distorting it to the proportions of one of the more seagoing fossil species.

As far as I understand you are looking for a live model, not a skeleton, right?

What scale do you need?

What level of detail? I normaly aim to build a representative model of a genus rather than a species.

Do you have detailed images of what it is supposed to look?

I´d like to try it. But I cannot guarantee to create something that will meet your expectations.

Let me know.

Aloha

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

After pondering how to make a decent steneosuchus I think it would be easiest to start with a Gharial.

I personally have no scruples to take a bought model and change it to my wishes.

"Papo - 50154 -Gavial" could be a good basis for a longirostral crocodylomorph. Take this, a scalpel and some acrylic paint and you may well end up with a nice Steneosaurus.

If you tell me where the specific visible differences are I could also do that, but I think it would not be worth the overseas shipping costs.

Cheers,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

On 5/20/2018 at 7:36 AM, Mahnmut said:

After pondering how to make a decent steneosuchus I think it would be easiest to start with a Gharial.

I personally have no scruples to take a bought model and change it to my wishes.

"Papo - 50154 -Gavial" could be a good basis for a longirostral crocodylomorph. Take this, a scalpel and some acrylic paint and you may well end up with a nice Steneosaurus.

If you tell me where the specific visible differences are I could also do that, but I think it would not be worth the overseas shipping costs.

Cheers,

J

Thank you for your reply! I agree that commission work may be prohibitively expensive here, especially considering international shipping. I still appreciate the consideration. I made this thread hoping that perhaps one of the replica/toy companies had made a Steneosaurus at some point that I could buy. Steneosaurus is an obscure creature but I've seen some other obscure creatures before as part of Japanese figure lines especially.

Again, thanks

JC

PS:  Should you ever want to read some more on Steneosaurus, Anatomy, phylogeny, and palaeoecology of the basal thalattosuchians (Mesoeucrocodylia) from the Liassic of Central Europe (Mueller-Töwe) is an excellent and well-illustrated reference on Steneosaurus and related crocodylomorphs, in both English and German.

On 5/9/2018 at 4:42 PM, jpenn said:

Does anyone know if toys/models of Steneosaurus (the slender-bodied longirostral Jurassic teleosaurid crocodyliform often found in Europe and the UK) exist? I'd like to get one if I can.

Kaiyodo did a Metriorhynchus for its Dinotales line several years ago.  Is that close enough?  Other than Tim's link to the Safari "Toob" of crocs, I don't recall anything else close to that.

The Safari company did "toobs" for several groups of extinct animals.  I have the shark one and had the marine vertebrates one but one of my nieces ended up with it.

Archived