Unidentified marine fossil from Guizhou

Crazyhen

Can we get a close-up of the 'appendage' bits? Also, what age is it?

First impression is are an echinoderm - crinoid, for example - preserved with the base of the calyx pointing upwards.

• I found this Informative 1

Or maybe the calyx pointing downwards, so the hole at the top would be where the stem was attached. 

I think i see arms snaking away from the end embedded in the matrix. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, Spongy Joe said:

Can we get a close-up of the 'appendage' bits? Also, what age is it?

First impression is are an echinoderm - crinoid, for example - preserved with the base of the calyx pointing upwards.

Sorry, I could not get close-up photos since the fossil is not in my hands.  The local fossil collector got this and I am just curious as to what is that.

Shame - there's no way of telling from these photos, I'm afraid! It'll have to remain a mystery... it's a pity, though, because it could be really interesting!

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Or maybe the calyx pointing downwards, so the hole at the top would be where the stem was attached. 

I think i see arms snaking away from the end embedded in the matrix. 

That's what I said, TD! And yes, that's why I wanted a look at the potential arms as well.  :D

16 minutes ago, Spongy Joe said:

That's what I said, TD! And yes, that's why I wanted a look at the potential arms as well.  :D

Misread your post! 

Sorry. :blush:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

IMO no crinoid: missing pentameric symetric and no hints of typical crinoid segments/segmentation.

Maybe trace-fossil or some soft-tissued animal.

But since Guizhou is a big area with a lot of stratigraphical units, would be good to know more about that.  

• I found this Informative 1