Fossils from Romania - help needed :)

Kasia

Dear TFF Members,

these are the fossils I found in Humor, Romania - this is a village situated in Bukovina. They come from a slope at one of the banks of Humor river - from the point indicated on the map. I have no idea which geological era the rocks come from (I just saw a nice place with multiple rocks and I started looking for fossils), so it's hard for me to determine what I have actually found :)

The first one looks a little bit like Calamites?

mapka.JPG

IMG_20180511_145655.jpg

Top one looks like Cordaites, the second Cruziana, trilobite trackway. That would probably make it Lower Carboniferous. The others I see a mixture of plant debris and worm burrows. The last one looks interesting, it might have something else there as well

• I found this Informative 3

6 minutes ago, Taogan said:

Top one looks like Cordaites, the second Cruziana, trilobite trackway. That would probably make it Lower Carboniferous. The others I see a mixture of plant debris and worm burrows. The last one looks interesting, it might have something else there as well

Thanks a lot :) I also thought that the second one could be the trackway of a trilobite, but as I found no other trace of them in the rocks (and I spent there quite a time :), I was not sure anymore. I'm glad my original idea was right.

So do you think that the plant debris in the small pieces also come from Cordaites?

What else could there be in the last piece? 

31 minutes ago, Jazfossilator said:

Can’t help ID, but neat finds! :)

Thanks a lot :) 

Hi Kasia!
As far as I know, the sediments of the Humor and adjacent valleys (Moldova, Moldovita, Sucevita) are not older than Paleogene.
Almost all of the above pictures show trace fossils, in my opinion, exept the first one which may be a tree trunk or branch.
The strange shapes visible on the surface (in the last four pictures) bear a close resemblance to Chondrites igen.

Chondrites and Helminthoidea isp were mentioned from that region.

Nice finds, BTW ! :)

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Just a guess, but it's just that and I could be wrong: crossed my mind the possibility of echinoid trace fossil for the second specimen in question.

1.thumb.jpg.fdcaae0780e10699b81eff8c4a29ffad.jpg

excerpt from H. Demírcan & A. Uchman. 2012. The miniature echinoid trace fossil Bichordites kuzunensis isp. nov. from early Oligocene prodelta sediments of the Mezardere Formation, Gökçeada Island, northwest Turkey. Acta Geologica Polonica, 62 (2): 205–215.

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

8 hours ago, abyssunder said:

Just a guess, but it's just that and I could be wrong: crossed my mind the possibility of echinoid trace fossil for the second specimen in question.

1.thumb.jpg.fdcaae0780e10699b81eff8c4a29ffad.jpg

excerpt from H. Demírcan & A. Uchman. 2012. The miniature echinoid trace fossil Bichordites kuzunensis isp. nov. from early Oligocene prodelta sediments of the Mezardere Formation, Gökçeada Island, northwest Turkey. Acta Geologica Polonica, 62 (2): 205–215.

I liked the idea of Cruziana, but that would be also cool :) thanks a lot!