Trilobite parts?

aek

Hi, I went to St Paul, Indiana a couple weeks ago and was wondering what these two parts are? One is two inches across, the other is about an inch across. Trilobite parts? If so, what species? Thanks for any help.IMG_2297.thumb.jpg.318c837c1fcd2ee24749e3ee368abd86.jpgIMG_2294.thumb.jpg.4b787c74f47294a7a81d2d37e0200480.jpg

Looks like a crinoid calyx to me.

• I found this Informative 2

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Crinoid, Siphonocrinus.

Capture.JPG

Although it doesn't take into account the overlapping covering in you photo.

• I found this Informative 3

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

And there seems to be a nice little brachiopod just underneath the crinoid too! :)

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I want to see another Crinoid like this before agreeing with any of these IDs. A wider selection of IDs would be nicely appreciated.

Can’t get a trustworthy ID off the top of my head. Looks different from the ones I’ve collected personally. Too large for Crinoid imo

I was looking in my geology report on the Waldron Shale just to be on the safe side becauae something about this triggered a memory and I found this. The resemblance of the two is why im posting this. I took a picture of it because I have not had time to scan the report. To me it looks like a Lichas boltoni pygidium. I searched the name and was unable to see if it was changed and is invalid. I've hunted the Waldron many many times and have never seen a crinoid that looked like that, but always find one or two of these. This is just an observation and I could be wrong, but thats the good thing. If im wrong, I've learned something new.

20180511_214206.thumb.jpg.5a39bf6f796abd06c42db42ad6f67289.jpg

• I found this Informative 10

...I'm back.

I was actually thinking that it reminded me a lot of Arctinurus bits that I've found. But I knew it wouldn't be from that formation. I wasn't familiar with this Lichid, but I would put my money on this one personally. I'll see if I can snap a pic of a piece that looks similar.

• I found this Informative 1

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

I was thinking pygidium, but thought that it was too large to possibly be from anything but an Indiana asaphid- which it clearly was not from. I guess I was half correct... :shrug: ...it really does seem to be a pygidium!

Good catch, after reorienting the photo, I agree it is a partial Arctinurus pygidium.  The terraced ventral preservation is very unexpected and unusual.  I need new glasses!  mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.yimg.com%2Fok%2Fu%2Fassets%2Fimg%2Femoticons%2Femo20.gif&t=1526088763&ymreqid=2b37d289-e028-403a-1c09-a1000201e400&sig=8LD7d9Z.k8JtARg4ompjAQ--~C lol 

IMG.png.6184b6387524ff4a19b7568a7d37bd8b.png

• I found this Informative 10

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Wow, thanks for the help! Wasn't sure if Arctinurus could be found in the Waldron shale. If complete this one would've been quite large. It would be great if there was a complete list of Waldron trilobites somewhere. I suspect it's similar to the Silurian Racine formation in Illinois.

12 hours ago, Raggedy Man said:

I was looking in my geology report on the Waldron Shale just to be on the safe side becauae something about this triggered a memory and I found this. The resemblance of the two is why im posting this. I took a picture of it because I have not had time to scan the report. To me it looks like a Lichas boltoni pygidium. I searched the name and was unable to see if it was changed and is invalid. I've hunted the Waldron many many times and have never seen a crinoid that looked like that, but always find one or two of these. This is just an observation and I could be wrong, but thats the good thing. If im wrong, I've learned something new.

Well Done!
This was nagging at me, in that the outer 'armoring' looked trilobitey.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

10 minutes ago, Auspex said:

Well Done!
This was nagging at me, in that the outer 'armoring' looked trilobitey.

Thanks! As soon as I saw it I knew it was a pygidium, but like Piranha said the terraced preservation was unusual. Im just happy I remembered that plate from my report and I was able to help. I've found several of those pygidiums, but never like that. I hunted the Waldron enough to know crinoid was unlikely. I'll check the copyright on that report and if its ok to do so, ill digitize the plate and with Piranhas help get the current valid names updated and upload them to the site so others may benefit from this report.

• I found this Informative 3

...I'm back.

On 5/12/2018 at 10:25 AM, Raggedy Man said:

Thanks! As soon as I saw it I knew it was a pygidium, but like Piranha said the terraced preservation was unusual. Im just happy I remembered that plate from my report and I was able to help. I've found several of those pygidiums, but never like that. I hunted the Waldron enough to know crinoid was unlikely. I'll check the copyright on that report and if its ok to do so, ill digitize the plate and with Piranhas help get the current valid names updated and upload them to the site so others may benefit from this report.

That would be wonderful.

6 hours ago, aek said:

That would be wonderful.

How long have you been a member of ESCONI? We've probably met up at St.Paul if you've gone in past trips...lol

...I'm back.

8 hours ago, Raggedy Man said:

How long have you been a member of ESCONI? We've probably met up at St.Paul if you've gone in past trips...lol

Just a couple years, this was my second visit to St Paul. My first trip was in the middle of December on one of their "open house" days and I had the whole place to myself! Maybe I'll see you on the next trip.

7 hours ago, aek said:

Just a couple years, this was my second visit to St Paul. My first trip was in the middle of December on one of their "open house" days and I had the whole place to myself! Maybe I'll see you on the next trip.

Thats funny! My last trip on an open I had it to myself for three days. It was rainy, cold and windy. Was one of the trips I have ever had. On the last day the owner came down to meet the only person to show and brave the harsh conditions for all three days. When he asked why, I told him its one of my top 2 favorite places to hunt and I came from Wisconsin. We spend the next hour just talking about BS. 

...I'm back.

6 hours ago, Raggedy Man said:

Thats funny! My last trip on an open I had it to myself for three days. It was rainy, cold and windy. Was one of the trips I have ever had. On the last day the owner came down to meet the only person to show and brave the harsh conditions for all three days. When he asked why, I told him its one of my top 2 favorite places to hunt and I came from Wisconsin. We spend the next hour just talking about BS. 

Wow, three days - what a treat. Did you happen to find any complete dalmanites? I know it's pretty rare , just curious because I've found many cephalons and pygidiums., halli & verrucosus

47 minutes ago, aek said:

Wow, three days - what a treat. Did you happen to find any complete dalmanites? I know it's pretty rare , just curious because I've found many cephalons and pygidiums., halli & verrucosus

I wish! I only find the tails or cephalons. 

...I'm back.

22 hours ago, Raggedy Man said:

I wish! I only find the tails or cephalons. 

I had the great fortune to meat LeGrand Smith, who authored "Devonian trilobites of Bolivia".

He told Me that most trilobites are known from pieces and have never had whole ones found. It is a relatively rare thing for a formation to have a large quantity of whole trilobites.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.