Carcharodontosaurus or Abelisaurid?

Wowbnjijdat

Hi guys,

This tooth was sold as a small Carcharodontosaurus tooth but I tend to say it is an Abelisaurid. The tooth is 2 cm and from the Ifezouane formation.

There is not an noticeable difference in serrations on the side. The serration ridge on one side is bowing.

What do you think?

Foto 12-05-18 12 33 54.jpg

Foto 12-05-18 12 34 22.jpg

Foto 12-05-18 12 33 06.jpg

Foto 12-05-18 12 33 38.jpg

I would say the same Abelisaurid but I would wait to hear the thoughts of other more experienced people on this forum!

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

I'd say Ablisaurid. Very nice tooth.

Here are some examples from my collection to compare with.

Carcharodontosaur tooth. 6.5 cm long.

Carcharodontosaur tooth tip. 4.1 cm  long.

Abelisaurid tooth. 1.9 cm long

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

@LordTrilobite Hi Nice pictures, how do you manage to create 3d models of your teeth? This is an amazing way to show your teeth in all its angles. I guess you need to have a 3d software like Cinema 4D or Blender for windows OS to be able to export a 3d model and upload to SketchFab right?

Smaller teeth are always more problematic in their diagnose for sellers.  I do agree with the other its a small bodied Abelisaurid tooth.  Even though the there is a slight bow the distal carina is pretty perpendicular to the base

48 minutes ago, Jaimin013 said:

@LordTrilobite Hi Nice pictures, how do you manage to create 3d models of your teeth? This is an amazing way to show your teeth in all its angles. I guess you need to have a 3d software like Cinema 4D or Blender for windows OS to be able to export a 3d model and upload to SketchFab right?

Thanks. Yes, 3D models can be really useful to show some of the more subtle features of a fossil. I used photogrammetry to scan the fossils. This can be done completely with free software. If you're looking to try it yourself there's a thread here that has a tutorial.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

1 minute ago, LordTrilobite said:

Thanks. Yes, 3D models can be really useful to show some of the more subtle features of a fossil. I used photogrammetry to scan the fossils. This can be done completely with free software. If you're looking to try it yourself there's a thread here that has a tutorial.

Thanks for this, I will read up on this and try to give it a go myself!

34 minutes ago, Wowbnjijdat said:

And what about the left tooth? only serrations on the most left side.

5af7051c9ae93_Foto12-05-18143759.thumb.jpg.47c8af3b67461c19d0360cf16d3dfedf.jpg

Its a set of very small teeth so I am unable to identify them! Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be able to answer your question

That twist makes me think this might be a tooth of an indeterminate Dromaeosauridae. Unfortunately there aren't any described yet, so bringing it down to genus or species level won't be possible yet.

Edit: I am talking about the left one.

The tooth on the left is not an Abelsaurids but without being able to compare the serrations on both carinae difficult to try to diagnose.   Can you tell if the carina twists on the outside edge?  The distal recurve smacks of a Dromaeosaurid like gigantoraptor indicated

Are we sure it isn't carchardontosaurus on the second to last image of the first tooth I see wrinkles by the serations.

19 hours ago, Troodon said:

The tooth on the left is not an Abelsaurids but without being able to compare the serrations on both carinae difficult to try to diagnose.   Can you tell if the carina twists on the outside edge?  The distal recurve smacks of a Dromaeosaurid like gigantoraptor indicated

I am sorry, I don't understand the jargon. What do you mean with twists on the outside edge :) 

2 hours ago, Wowbnjijdat said:

I am sorry, I don't understand the jargon. What do you mean with twists on the outside edge :) 

The mesial carina, does it come down straight to the base or does it curve to one side like this tooth

Dromie2F.thumb.jpg.1f296ba703264bddc3c4b8c08d53562e.jpg

difficult to say, there are no serrations on the mesial carina. But there is a slight curve. 

Thanks, difficult to call you tooth a raptor or not without more characteristics especially serrations.

Archived