Good Bye to my Crinoid Avatar

Yesterday I signed over my prized crinoid (my avatar) along with 20 other specimens to the  University of Michigan, Museum of Paleontology.  With this crinoid I donated 7 other prized crinoids,  2 blastoids, 4 Tully Monsters, 2 brachiopods, 1 Mazon insect wing,  2 corals and a Cooksonia.  These will then be loaned to the Museum of Natural History to go on permanent display in the new museum to open in 2019.   Hardest part was parting with my avatar crinoid.   It is what I consider the finest example of an Arthroacantha from the Arkona Formation at Arkona, Ontario.  Not that parting with 4 exquisite Tullys wasn't hard. 

Hey, I offered and they came and took.  I just wanted the museum to open with very nice examples of fossils.  

5005.5.JPG

• I found this Informative 37

I am very happy and rather sad at the same time reading this post. :):(

It's a great thing to do, but doing the right thing is sometimes very hard. 

A truly beautiful crinoid, one of the very best. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Kinda like watching your kid go off to college. You know they're going somewhere good, but you also know you will miss them. But in the end, you have extra space for more fossils. :D 

• I found this Informative 3

That crinoid is absolutely stunning. They're lucky to have it to display in their collection.:fistbump: Thanks for donating it so others are able to see this wonderful specimen. This says a lot about you and your character.

...I'm back.

Your generosity is truly exceptional! I can only hope that this donation bears great fruit in inspiring others to admire and respect nature and science.  Perhaps some future leader of paleontology will be set on their path by your efforts.  Thank you! 

Don

On 5/12/2018 at 12:00 PM, Bone guy said:

Kinda like watching your kid go off to college. You know they're going somewhere good, but you also know you will miss them. But in the end, you have extra space for more fossils. :D 

:heartylaugh:

Do you mean crinus will have more room for fossils after donating, or that the room left by the child when in college gives more fossil space?

————

Amazing crinoids. I would have a very traumatic time if I had to part with specimens like that. I’ll definitely look forward to seeing them in the MNH when I visit.

Amazing donations like these are what fuel the paleontological universe!

• I found this Informative 2

Incredible kind gesture you should be very proud. It is also going to be viewed lots more people   :D

Thumbs up for contributing to science:dinothumb:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

14 minutes ago, FossilSniper said:

Do you mean crinus will have more room for fossils after donating, or that the room left by the child when in college gives more fossil space?

Ha both :D 

Heckuva legacy, Joe!

It must be bitter-sweet to relinquish your favorites, even knowing that thousands and thousands of people will get to enjoy (and learn from) them.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

4 hours ago, crinus said:

I donated 7 other prized crinoids,  2 blastoids, 4 Tully Monsters, 2 brachiopods, 1 Mazon insect wing,  2 corals and a Partridge in a pear tree!

:) sorry, it just came to mind.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Truly a wonderful thing you did! That specimen is an absolute beauty!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Another great example of the generosity displayed on this forum! You should take great pride in what you did.

Mike

Wow. That's impressive. .. both the fossils and your generosity! Kudos to you. :)

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

I can honestly say I've never found a crinoid quite that good. I've found a few good 'uns over the years, but that is spectacular!

Well done on the donation; in the long run, you really won't regret it, as you'll know you've made an impression on human knowledge and natural appreciation, rather than just your own (and ours ^_^)! 

:SlapHands:

Thank you for all the kind remarks.  I would not have parted with it if I didn't think it was a good move.  It would have ended up there eventually but by giving it early, it goes on exhibit.  Later the exhibit would have been in place and this specimen (as well as the others) would have ended up in a drawer for no one to see.  

Thanks All

Joe

• I found this Informative 2

Awesome. You did a great service to all amateur fossil hunters. I salute you. :faint: :dinothumb:

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Very well played, Joe, bittersweet as this is. You had a wonderful opportunity to be there when those pits were active. :) Of course, it still involved a lot of work!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

What a guy!  Good on ya man!   and what a most beautiful crinoid to replace it with!!! 

RB

• 4 months later...

my hats off for you that is one nice fossil im shur  they will make alot of money on all the visiters that will come and see it.

Yeah, it's tough to give away something good.  I donated a really nice snail in an Oligocene concretion once.  I found it and got a lucky hammer hit too.  It was perfect and something rare so UC Berkeley has it now.  I don't collect gastropods avidly but I found it and it was a great display piece.  It sounds like you liked those specimens even more but at least they're on display where you can still look at them whenever you want.

Jess

What a specimen! Congrats on the donation! 

Looks pretty fragile...Was there any chance of getting molds made of any of the specimens that have relief/castable features?  

Regards, Chris