Help With Identification

Quality4go

I found this the other day in a creek, and I believe the rocks at creek level are mostly dolostone and shale... Not sure if that helps or not but can anyone idenfiy this? Thanks

post-2106-1250481698_thumb.jpgpost-2106-1250481753_thumb.jpg

From the pics, they look like crinoid stems to me.

<Hey Solius, Shamalama, come check this out!>

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks for the response. I have found quite a few fossils recently and since I have really no experience in this field I've been having trouble identifying them. This is another.

post-2106-1250483134_thumb.jpg

That one I can't help with...

Most of our Paleozoic invertebrate people are in the east, where it's heading for 1 am; expect some replies tomorrow.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I think Auspex is correct on the first photo, looks like some Crinoid stems though the arrangement is interesting. Looks like three ropes next to each other. Any clue on the length and width of the piece and fossils?

The second photo looks like a coral or bryzoan of some sort. Can you post a close up pic to show more detail?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I found this the other day in a creek, and I believe the rocks at creek level are mostly dolostone and shale... Not sure if that helps or not but can anyone idenfiy this? Thanks

post-2106-1250481698_thumb.jpgpost-2106-1250481753_thumb.jpg

After doing some preparation work on this, you might find that those aren't stems, but rather arms. It looks like a synbathocrinus to me. They have long, slender arms that are preserved side by side like the fossil you have.

Thanks for the replies, the stem/armlike fossils is roughly 6" in length and 1/2" wide. Also here is a closeup of the 2nd specimen.

post-2106-1250525947_thumb.jpg

Guest solius symbiosus

I agree with X-fish that the one is multiple arms, or it could be 3 stems side by side.

The other appears to be a favositid coral. Something like Dendropora or Trachypora. Can you get a pic of the individual corallites(about 10x-20x)?

What is the age, or where was it found?

After doing some preparation work on this, you might find that those aren't stems, but rather arms. It looks like a synbathocrinus to me. They have long, slender arms that are preserved side by side like the fossil you have.

Yes i completly agree that it might be a sybathocrinus but he looks to be missing his calix though :( Do the stems go out all the way to the edge of the rok on both sides? If not the calix might be on the end where they dont. The largest crinoid in my avatar pic is a synbathocrinus swallovi he is about 4.25 in in legnth and i was told that was close to record braker. Yours appers to be a little larger so be carful with him!

post-1179-1250545360_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the replies everyone--

solius symbiosus: Im not sure what you mean by what age is it, but im gonna guess Ordovician? because it was found amongst a number of shell fossils which I believe to be lapidocycius. The area it was found in was in rock/gravel bar of a mid-sized river in Illinois. Here are some of the shell fossils I am speaking of.

post-2106-1250547324_thumb.jpg Also here is a closeup of the fossil, pretty much the closest I can get. post-2106-1250548189_thumb.jpg

Crinoid Queen: The stems/arms do seem to go to the edge of the rock on both ends. The only difference is that at one end the 3 stalks seem to moreso join into one, whereas at the other end the stalks seem to be more detached from one another but also seem to increase in width. Here are pictures of the 2 ends.

post-2106-1250548497_thumb.jpgpost-2106-1250548612_thumb.jpg

Crinoid Queen: The stems/arms do seem to go to the edge of the rock on both ends. The only difference is that at one end the 3 stalks seem to moreso join into one, whereas at the other end the stalks seem to be more detached from one another but also seem to increase in width. Here are pictures of the 2 ends.

post-2106-1250548497_thumb.jpgpost-2106-1250548612_thumb.jpg

Yup that pix you can deffinalty tell that is a crinoid head. those are the arms of a synbathocrinus

So is part of the head still there or can you just tell where it should be?

No its there.

post-1179-1250550320.jpg

I don't see a calyx there??? Where are the plates?

They are probubly just overed in rock they r there.