Bone, Rock, Coral?

Bronzviking

I've been collecting rocks and seashells on the beaches for 17 years in Florida and never came across anything like this. It was covered in lime sediment which I washed off. It is about 5 inches long and is heavy, weighs 13 ounces. It appears to have calcium spots on it. Can anybody identify this???? Thanks!DSC07257.thumb.JPG.31b71ea51b3aec372f3c1d8cba45384a.JPG

DSC07258.JPG

DSC07260.JPG

DSC07261.JPG

Better focus on the first 2 photos might help as I'm not seeing anything yet. I'm getting a spongy vibe, though I'm no expert.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

Sorry, I took so many photos yesterday my eyes were tired. This is the best I can get with this one. Hope it helps. Thank you!

DSC07380.JPG

DSC07378.JPG

maybe it’s to be excluded relatively to the geological context (which I do not know), 
but is there any possibility for a volcanic (basaltic-andesitic?) amygdaloidal rock?

ciao

With this rounded surface it might be difficult to say anything specific. I would exclude fossil.

Sometimes ID requires best possible focus as identifying details can sometimes be quite small. This rock may be worth saving simply because it's a rare occurrence in the area.  It may be something, but it's too difficult to say.

Don't give up, @Bronzviking.  Florida is a great place for fossils.

Agree with ynot, it's a rolled piece of limestone with some crushing of the calcite particles making the white blotches. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I just looked at this with the 10X eye loop and I see tiny pores with microcrystallines unlike any limestone's I've found here.

Thanks for all the feedback!

• I found this Informative 1

There's a trace fossil here, I think. Trypanites!

DSC07380.JPG.2a776d311853a3c1807422d40c9fb2a0.JPG

Oh Cool Innocetx, THX! You want to hear something funny? I did a google image search of my wanna be bone and this came up! A Tarbosaurus bataar Toe Bone. Wouldn't that make Florida history?? :dinosmile:

Tarbosaurus bataar Toe Bone.jpg

The little white marks visible on the surface look like Spirorbis attachment scars.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library