Hadrosaur eggs and storage

bcfossilcollector

I was wondering what the best storage situation/environment is optimal as regards fossilized dinosaur eggs, especially hadrosaur eggs. Any advice would be appreciated.

The question was asked of me while a small crowd,myself included, admired a couple of rather nice hadrosaur eggs at the annual rock and gem show in Kelowna. I’m not aware of any requirements beyond the obvious do not expose to extreme weather etc. I’ll try to get photos of some of the fossils and minerals exhibited this year. Some specimens were quite impressive.

Some collector get acrylic display cases or glass made to display dinosaur eggs. I think it keeps the dust of them can’t be a bad thing but apart from that I think it just makes for a nice display   :)

Owners should be aware that the typical matrix material from China is extremely hydrophylic. The hapless individual who decides to give an egg a good Spring cleaning featuring a "bath" will be very sorry. I have used a damp paper towel to wipe away surface dust during prep and this could be done to spruce up a dusty display egg, but any more "in depth" exposure to water is potentially ruinous. So, for storage or display minimizing dust exposure; so you don't need to "clean" it and avoidance of temp extremes probably covers most potential pitfalls.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

27 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

Owners should be aware that the typical matrix material from China is extremely hydrophylic. The hapless individual who decides to give an egg a good Spring cleaning featuring a "bath" will be very sorry. I have used a damp paper towel to wipe away surface dust during prep and this could be done to spruce up a dusty display egg, but any more "in depth" exposure to water is potentially ruinous. So, for storage or display minimizing dust exposure; so you don't need to "clean" it and avoidance of temp extremes probably covers most potential pitfalls.

Just to add to this I am very careful with all my fossil regarding cleaning and contact with water.  Good advice snolly :dinothumb:

I live very close to the ocean (can hear the waves crashing from my house) where it’s pretty humid in the summer with lots of fog in the spring and I have my eggs out on a shelf in a room without air conditioning with open windows. I haven’t had any issues with them being exposed to that environment, yet. I don’t manipulate my eggs much. I give them a light dusting with a dry cloth maybe once a month.

I have a friend who had a hot water pipe burst in a room under his fossil room a few years ago. I was the first on the scene (steam set off fire alarms which called the fire department. My friend was out of the country so I let them into the house). When I opened the door to the fossil room steam billowed out like a sauna. Some of his hadrosaur nests fell apart- the matrix turned to mud but the eggs themselves were ok. To give an idea of the level of humidity- the sheetrock and wood flooring all had to be replaced but thankfully all the fossils other than the matrix were fine. 

I don't think hadrosaur eggs are as fragile as we think they are but I would be very weary of getting any of my Asian eggs wet, especially if they’re not rock solid. 

I've also had my eggs in a humid environment and never experienced any issues.  I just dust them periodically but never touch them with water.   Common sense dry cleaning

Archived