May 8, 10, 12 2018 Peace river trips. End of season?

Sacha

Looking forward to hearing how you find the river conditions.

Be safe out there.

Cheers.

-Ken

On 5/20/2018 at 6:50 PM, Shellseeker said:

I will be at the Peace River at 9 am tomorrow,  I will let you know how it works out.  I'll expect that I will find a place to dig, but it might be those shallow locations that I have saved for EXACTLY this situation.

I went hunting today in the Bowling Green area. The Peace River is up over the last week, but only about 8 inches. A number of the locations I had been digging are still dig-able. I am not sure why the River has gone up a lot more below Paynes Creek Park than above Paynes Creek Park.

Having said that,  I found small teeth, a few turtle foot pads/spurs,  a broken armadillo scute, a nice Equus tooth and my find of the day, a really small 3 mm nurse shark tooth.

The rain held off until 1 pm, sometimes sunny, sometimes overcast.  Then a thunder shower for an hour, and digging for 90 minutes.

With the season drawing to a close, any day on the river is pure joy!B)

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Glad you were able to make it out again this season. It would make sense that the river is still more workable the further you go back up to the source of the Peace. I'd have to believe that the further down towards its terminus at Port Charlotte the more acreage of drainage is contributing to the overall river level. Would love to see photos of the Nurse Shark tooth. I've only found a few from the Peace River and that has been while going through collected micro-matrix.

Cheers.

-Ken

Wow! Great teeth! Those last few days were killer! I'm in love with this particular meg from your last day.

5af825d3c360f_May12.jpg.b05694f62f3286fa2c37782e459a5538.jpg.b7ba0cf3c4c5d264d22e55d4db091597.jpg 

Definitely :envy:

Nice dentistry! :meg:

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

15 hours ago, digit said:

Glad you were able to make it out again this season. It would make sense that the river is still more workable the further you go back up to the source of the Peace. I'd have to believe that the further down towards its terminus at Port Charlotte the more acreage of drainage is contributing to the overall river level. Would love to see photos of the Nurse Shark tooth. I've only found a few from the Peace River and that has been while going through collected micro-matrix.

Cheers. -Ken

Thanks John @Sacha, for letting me butt into your thread.

Ken,

I agree with the concept.  There are many feeder creeks also below Bowling green that will add lots of water from the surrounding watershed.  Just look how Paynes Creek is pouring a deluge into the Peace.

Here are some photos of this Nurse:

IMG_2172.thumb.jpg.9a19bfab8a8308c0ed19d35bcb34d84c.jpg

IMG_2175.thumb.jpg.ebba5fef88c5403e92594b5db5dda40e.jpgIMG_2180.jpg.dcc38c7c6f390db7b890601ba0fcc144.jpgIMG_2183.jpg.404ca51a83eaf81c385125fb87eb6af6.jpg

l really like these because they are so hard for me to get. Not only must they stay within my quarter inch sieve, but I must "see" and recognize them while concentrating on larger , easier to identify shark teeth.  On this one , I saw it , thought it might be, but couldn't be sure until I picked it up. A quarter inch is about 6.5 mm, the diagonal is approx 8.5 mm, The sizes of the only 3 Nurse Shark teeth I have ever found are (left to right) 9.5 mm, 10.9 mm, and 8.5 mm. 

ThreeNurseSharkteeth.jpg.d148012912b8a0ec4bb2d8825ee09102.jpg

Most of these are falling thru my screen, and I get to keep a few of the 'monsters'.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

1 hour ago, Shellseeker said:

Thanks John @Sacha, for letting me butt into your thread.

Ken,

I agree with the concept.  There are many feeder creeks also below Bowling green that will add lots of water from the surrounding watershed.  Just look how Paynes Creek is pouring a deluge into the Peace.

Here are some photos of this Nurse:

IMG_2172.thumb.jpg.9a19bfab8a8308c0ed19d35bcb34d84c.jpg

IMG_2175.thumb.jpg.ebba5fef88c5403e92594b5db5dda40e.jpgIMG_2180.jpg.dcc38c7c6f390db7b890601ba0fcc144.jpgIMG_2183.jpg.404ca51a83eaf81c385125fb87eb6af6.jpg

l really like these because they are so hard for me to get. Not only must they stay within my quarter inch sieve, but I must "see" and recognize them while concentrating on larger , easier to identify shark teeth.  On this one , I saw it , thought it might be, but couldn't be sure until I picked it up. A quarter inch is about 6.5 mm, the diagonal is approx 8.5 mm, The sizes of the only 3 Nurse Shark teeth I have ever found are (left to right) 9.5 mm, 10.9 mm, and 8.5 mm. 

ThreeNurseSharkteeth.jpg.d148012912b8a0ec4bb2d8825ee09102.jpg

Most of these are falling thru my screen, and I get to keep a few of the 'monsters'.

Never found one, I consider my single cow shark tooth find, my rarest peace river find. IIRC you said you have found a total of 3 in the peace, in all your hunting years? What do you consider your best find of all times? I have 3 contenders IMO. A partial Mammoth, possibly dugong vert (gem quality, solid) and my one and only meg. 

P1010019.JPG

P1010009.JPG

P1010011.JPG

Beautiful teeth all around!  I find a fair amount of angel shark teeth same size as the nurse shark teeth, so they must be more rare here.  Unfortunately.  Sad when I am aspiring to the smallest teeth you guys find...

3 hours ago, Rowboater said:

Sad when I am aspiring to the smallest teeth you guys find...

Say it isn't so!

The smaller teeth are some of the neatest teeth out there, just look at some of the "micro matrix" threads.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Those are there gorgeous Nurse Shark teeth, Jack.

Be careful out there and don't do anything (too) silly out there at the end of the season.

Cheers.

-Ken

Archived