UtahFossilHunter

Anybody read Michael Crichton's Dragon Teeth?

UtahFossilHunter

I recently picked up a copy and have started it. It's fairly good so far. I'm wondering how close the Bone Wars is depicted in here compared to real life. If anybody has read it and would like to shed light on this that would be awesome. Also, I've read other Crichton books and feel this book has a different style to it. Anybody else feel this way? 

WhodamanHD

I haven’t read it, but it’s likely to be close to largely true. Science is a contentious world where some take debate personally rather than scholarly. I’m reading Curators by Lance Grande (which I recommend) and his description of the American Natural History Museum was much the same: yelling matches in lecture halls and career-long rivalries over taxonomy. 

UtahFossilHunter
1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

I haven’t read it, but it’s likely to be close to largely true. Science is a contentious world where some take debate personally rather than scholarly. I’m reading Curators by Lance Grande (which I recommend) and his description of the American Natural History Museum was much the same: yelling matches in lecture halls and career-long rivalries over taxonomy. 

Dragon Teeth is historical fiction and Crichton has been known to unknowingly incorporate the wrong facts in some of his stories. He wrote Jurassic Park for a reference point which certainly has several flaws even for his time. Is the Curators also historical fiction or nonfiction or something else?

WhodamanHD
2 minutes ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

Dragon Teeth is historical fiction and Crichton has been known to unknowingly incorporate the wrong facts in some of his stories. He wrote Jurassic Park for a reference point which certainly has several flaws even for his time. Is the Curators also historical fiction or nonfiction or something else?

Oh, I thought it was about the bone wars (a real event and rivalry). Curators is nonfiction. 

UtahFossilHunter
1 minute ago, WhodamanHD said:

Oh, I thought it was about the bone wars (a real event and rivalry). Curators is nonfiction. 

It's written as if the main character was involved in the Bone Wars between Cope and Marsh. I've heard that it's close to what actually happened I just wanted to know what is not correct. I've enjoy a good fiction book from time to time between my nonfiction fossil books:ighappy:. I'll add the Curators to my evergrowing list.:dinothumb: