The view in the other direction, southwards. 

IMG_7741.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Here the different layers can well be seen. 

IMG_7746.thumb.JPG.86649b33a8606a5dd4e7fe8582bd9894.JPG

Highlighted in red are the layers that are full of tiny little bivalves (and sometimes contain bigger ones).

IMG_7746al.thumb.jpg.9b63303af2cb40b57c2446f48649ab9f.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

One of the layers

IMG_7748.JPG

Max Derème

On the beach, there are also tons of awesome giant hash plates filled with little bivalves. I think I have never seen this many bivalves before in such a concentrated way! Really cool IMO. These big hash plates probably fell from the layers shown above. 

One of the hash plates (with the tip of my shoe for size reference)

IMG_7750.thumb.JPG.6153a5f315877ef4692f15e9c8eae911.JPG

Max Derème

Another one (bigger but less well preserved)

IMG_7743.JPG

Max Derème

And some more

IMG_7747.thumb.JPG.12f3bd31996df23aeda634c33a45e3fc.JPG

Max Derème

A little more towards the sea there were lots of different shells in the shallow waters, many periwinkles, mussels and oysters. Also many limpets. And an insane amount of barnacles!!! Not many big ones, but an infinity of tiny ones... Take a look :trilosurprise:

(All the very small white dots are barnacles. The bigger things are limpets and mussels)

IMG_7745.thumb.JPG.d4926968a0900aa99b1979ce5a8c200a.JPG

Max Derème

I read online that apparently Cap-Gris-Nez itself is not so rich in fossils, and that other locations are better (which I went to, upcoming in the thread). But honestly I was pleasantly surprised at what we found! Here is the full haul for that location:

IMG_7935.thumb.JPG.714c8854765820a633dd53657c920a4a.JPG

On the left are modern shells.

On top we have some smaller hash plates that I really wanted to take home (I love them!).

Then there are some really nice bivalves too.

Not as much as Cap-Blanc-Nez, but more than I expected (and the two bivalves far right are awesome; will probably look better when prepped). So I was not too disappointed!

Max Derème

Some highlights from the haul

The nicest (and biggest) hash plate

IMG_7945.thumb.JPG.8f21d0bf488d052692f4ed1bb728a997.JPG

Is this a sponge? Or just a pebble eaten by worms/bivalves? (It's rather light)

IMG_7981.thumb.JPG.f2130a8ddf8a1a07300d6a4474a20108.JPG

Max Derème

Two really nice bivalves. One in matrix, one loose. They look awesome in my eyes. Hopefully prepping them will reveal cool results!

IMG_7949.JPG

IMG_7951.JPG

Max Derème

Also found this big (but VERY worn) ammonite on the beach. Didn't take it home, but still fun to take a picture with :D :ammonite01:

(It's not very obvious in this picture that it's an ammonite because of the angle at which it is, but it looked like one to us. Ignore the matrix bulges)

DQYC3960.thumb.JPG.a3ef0df42d5a2fd5930f8523fe5e8d1c.JPG

Max Derème

B) Wimereux

After the hunt at Cap-Gris-Nez, we went to the city of Wimereux (not a very nice one IMO) to have lunch. After lunch the women were allowed to do a bit of shopping (gotta give them a break from smashing rocks sometimes :P). When we told the very friendly shopkeeper that the main reason we were in the region was to do fossil-hunting, she said "oh, well then I have to tell you that there has recently, just a few days ago, been a landslide right on the beach of Wimereux, some 15 min walking from here! I don't know much about fossils, but I think that there may be some good stuff there. Also, I heard from some friends that at the exit of Audreselles (a town in between Cap-Gris-Nez and Wimereux) there's a beach with lots of fossils too. My advice may not be any good, but perhaps it's worth a try." Well, we sure were lucky to have heard that!!! Very useful indications!

So we went to the area she had told us near Wimereux. Half of a German bunker had also fallen with the landslide!

The landslide in the back, with the colorful cliffs overhanging the beach. If you look closely you'll be able to see a part of the bunker sticking out of the cliff on the left, and the other part lying in the rocks. 

IMG_7760.thumb.JPG.5421533de3ae1633e08f2399f109b2cd.JPG

Max Derème

The bunker above us, with the rest lying behind. An impressive sight. 

IMG_7763.thumb.JPG.f7cf513d8b8317da6848eaf9095e1484.JPG

Max Derème

The fossil layer (well one of them)! So rich in bivalves. 

IMG_7762.thumb.JPG.933d6491e32d15e28a3fd747db8405fc.JPG

Max Derème

Someone had gotten there before us and cracked open this giant rock to take the probably insanely gorgeous ammonite inside. Good thing he left the negative imprint there for others (like us) to see! The other pieces of the block were right next to it (not pictured here)

IMG_7761.thumb.JPG.3ffe0ad484946914e3448b0a70b9e424.JPG

Max Derème

This location was the best one of the holidays! The fresh landslide made it so that there were lots of new rocks ready to be unearthed and cracked open, and also many fossils just lying around. This resulted in a fantastic haul! The perfect weather also made the hunting very pleasant to do. B) 

Many of the bigger bivalves were found by striking rocks with a hammer to open them, which was quite easy as the rocks were quite brittle and the bivalves would then easily pop out. But lots of the stuff was also just ready to get picked up. 

Here is the haul of that location

IMG_7987.thumb.JPG.312044b0da8238537c3d90a104c80a5c.JPG

Max Derème

Some highlights

Could this be an ammonite? I have a strong feeling it is. If it is, do you think it is worthy to try prepping it, or is it too sea-worn? (I can't tell if it's a worn ammonite or one still under lots of matrix)

IMG_7988.thumb.JPG.1b555ca55e662f2a319ae608bc84aba6.JPG

IMG_7990.thumb.JPG.4ac4c517a9a26fd46e6f04c97561fd49.JPG

Max Derème

More ammonite pieces (the second one is pyritized)

IMG_7997.JPG

IMG_8001.JPG

Max Derème

BIVALVES! :D 

An awesome giant oyster (a fossil one, for once! :P)

IMG_7991.JPG

IMG_7992.JPG

Max Derème

Another big oyster-like shell

IMG_8015.thumb.JPG.ab18011446c5b3a2b5c2d908e30e42f9.JPG

And a nice multiblock with a small trigonid bivalve (yay!) and another bivalve (+ more on the other side)

IMG_8030.thumb.JPG.fb88ab7609059b5dc6900c8bbcd321ac.JPG

Max Derème

Another multiblock with a big trigonid with little bonus bivalves

IMG_8022.JPG

IMG_8026.JPG

IMG_8027.JPG

Max Derème

Max- outstanding trip report. Love all of your pics and finds- you did the Forum proud on your post. Thanks 

A beautiful pyrite bivalve

IMG_8046.thumb.JPG.9d74ff948738e87e9aa6ae96825d32a2.JPG

Some nice astarte-like shells (that have a very different matrix... different age/formation?)

IMG_8054.thumb.JPG.7d48e907f82facab7925302102ff1f51.JPG

Max Derème

A clam steinkern (wasn't expecting to find steinkerns, so a nice surprise)

IMG_8083.thumb.JPG.fd08b1367ec9c5e0e869006d84ba5436.JPG

A nice smaller bivalve. Might be a brachiopod actually, I'm not sure. But there were quite a few of them (this is the best one). Love the red color it has in the sun (due to the iron in it?)

IMG_8106.thumb.JPG.23b788a8732ec3e5fb39458b96808824.JPG

Max Derème

And there were plentiful others. These don't look so good now, but after some prep I'll share a few pictures. :) 

The bivalve diversity, quality and quantity were amazing. So for someone like the bivalve-fanatic that I am, it would be no exaggeration to say it was Fossil-Heaven!!! :megdance:

Max Derème