Great report Max. to bad you couldnt get that ammonite out at Cap blanc Nez.

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

19 hours ago, gigantoraptor said:

Hey Max, 

Great trip with beautifel finds.

The hoof is indeed horse, like Jpc said, cows have splitted hoofs. I am not sure if this is scientifficaly proven, but all hoofs with this kind of preservation I saw so far were labeled pleistocene. If this is the case then this isn't a common find for the North Sea.  

Second: The sponge, you are right. This is exactly the kind I ment. You should be able to prep this one with just vinegar, water and a lot of patience. Do a drop of vinegar on the matrix, and normally you will see small bubbels. To stop the chemical reaction, Just drop some water on it. Watch out, the vinegar can damage the fossil also. 

With the bivalve I can't help,  you are waaaaay beter at that stuff.:P

Just curious, how are you planning to prep these? Do You use an airscribe? I do,  but it's sometimes difficult to keep the shell intact.

Great trip and I hope you enjoyed. 

Greetings

Thanks Thijs!

I'll try prepping that sponge the way you said. Hopefully it will give some nice results. 

The other stuff I am planning to prep with just a few metal (and wooden for the very small fragile parts) picks I have. I don't have an airscribe (yet, I'm planning on getting one soon). I gotta say that with many the matrix does seem quite hard, so it will probably be challenging, but I'll see what I can and cannot do. 

The hoof is horse then. I don't know if it's Pleistocene, but it's possible. That would mean all the other things are Pleistocene too, as they were found together in the exact same sediment (and only a meter apart or so)! I just realized that I should probably do the flame test to see if they are fossil or not. 

20 hours ago, Peace river rat said:

Thing on the right, is maybe a coconut?

Possibly. It does have those 3 similar holes. Though on mine they're bigger. Can't find any picture online that fits well... Do you maybe have one?

19 hours ago, belemniten said:

Hi Max !

Such a great trip report and awesome fossils. :envy::wub:

Thanks for sharing so many beautiful pictures and information :dinothumb:

I wanted to ask the same question but @gigantoraptor was faster.  Looks like a though job ! Good luck !

Thanks a lot Sebastian for the nice comment! :D 

16 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice brachiopods! :)

16 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

A great report! 

Really enjoyed it and the photos of the locations and fossils. 

All in all, you collected some very nice specimens! :)

Thanks for this. 

Thank you Adam! ^_^

15 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Awesome finds, and pretty views! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Mason!

8 hours ago, caterpillar said:

Thanks for this sunny report

Glad you like it!

7 hours ago, Monica said:

Nice finds, Max!

I especially like the trigonid bivalve + bivalve piece, as well as the red bivalve/brachiopod - beautiful!!!

Thanks Monica! Those are also part of my favorites. 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

44 minutes ago, Manticocerasman said:

Great report Max. to bad you couldnt get that ammonite out at Cap blanc Nez.

Thanks Kevin! I agree it's a shame. Oh well. Hopefully some other hunter will be able to extract it successfully before it gets eroded by the sea. 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

17 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

Thanks Thijs!

I'll try prepping that sponge the way you said. Hopefully it will give some nice results. 

The other stuff I am planning to prep with just a few metal (and wooden for the very small fragile parts) picks I have. I don't have an airscribe (yet, I'm planning on getting one soon). I gotta say that with many the matrix does seem quite hard, so it will probably be challenging, but I'll see what I can and cannot do. 

The hoof is horse then. I don't know if it's Pleistocene, but it's possible. That would mean all the other things are Pleistocene too, as they were found together in the exact same sediment (and only a meter apart or so)! I just realized that I should probably do the flame test to see if they are fossil or not. 

Hey Max,

I would advise you to not do the burn test. I've always heard sub-fossil specimens (50.000 years or younger) can burn too.  Some Upper-Pleistocene stuff  can also burn.

Greetings

• I found this Informative 1

3 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

Hey Max,

I would advise you to not do the burn test. I've always heard sub-fossil specimens (50.000 years or younger) can burn too.  Some Upper-Pleistocene stuff  can also burn.

Greetings

Oh... I wasn't planning on 'burning' them, but just hold the flame a little to see if it starts to stink (--> collagen) or not. Or is collagen also sometimes preserved in sub-fossil specimens?

Max Derème

31 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

Oh... I wasn't planning on 'burning' them, but just hold the flame a little to see if it starts to stink (--> collagen) or not. Or is collagen also sometimes preserved in sub-fossil specimens?

Am I wrong or is collagen even found in one dinosaur fossil? I am pretty certain collagen survives at least a couple of million years ago. 

Just now, gigantoraptor said:

Am I wrong or is collagen even found in one dinosaur fossil? I am pretty certain collagen survives at least a couple of million years ago. 

Maybe... I don't know :headscratch:

Max Derème

Nice french stuff all around!

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

On 5/15/2018 at 12:04 AM, LiamL said:

It’s a beautiful place, and nice finds!

It sure is. Thank you!

On 5/16/2018 at 3:15 AM, ynot said:

Looks like You had a wonderful vacation hunt with many nice finds!

Great report, thanks for sharing.

It was definitely a very fun vacation!

Thank you Tony!

On 5/16/2018 at 12:32 PM, nala said:

Great finds and report!dommage pour l'ammonite,c'est pas facile d'en trouver une!

Thanks Gery!

Je me suis rapidement rendu compte aussi que les ammonites n'etaient pas tres frequentes, surtout considerant l'afflux de touristes permanent. (Pardonne le manque d'accents)

On 5/16/2018 at 3:15 PM, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Nice french stuff all around!

Haha, thanks!

Max Derème

Here's a map I just made with the different locations I went to. In the same order as the visits (and in the report). 

(CGN is short for Cap-Gris-Nez. What I mean by that is that those three locations are kind of part of the Cap-Gris-Nez group of locations due to the similarity)

CalaisFossilLocations.png.d2ba8174a4b1a74aab80743f55950b58.png

Max Derème

Nice Report! Nice finds as well, really like the fish tooth and the vertebrate material.

On 5/18/2018 at 9:20 AM, DanKurek said:

Nice Report! Nice finds as well, really like the fish tooth and the vertebrate material.

Thank you Daniel!

17 hours ago, Plantguy said:

Hey Max, neat report. Nice to see your finds and the outcrops! Regards, Chris 

Thanks Chris!

Max Derème

On 17/05/2018 at 6:11 PM, Max-fossils said:

It sure is. Thank you!

It was definitely a very fun vacation!

Thank you Tony!

Thanks Gery!

Je me suis rapidement rendu compte aussi que les ammonites n'etaient pas tres frequentes, surtout considerant l'afflux de touristes permanent. (Pardonne le manque d'accents)

Haha, thanks!

pas tellement les touristes qui sont nombreux, mais surtout les locaux qui inspectent le littoral dès le lever du soleil après une tempête ou  une marée haute,parfois la nuit a la lampe frontale! ;),en Normandie j'en connait un qui risque sa peau pendant la tempête pour nettoyer a fond la falaise :) 

• I found this Informative 2

Just now, nala said:

pas tellement les touristes qui sont nombreux, mais surtout les locaux qui inspectent le littoral dès le lever du soleil après une tempête ou  une marée haute,parfois la nuit a la lampe frontale! ;),en Normandie j'en connait un qui risque sa peau pendant la tempête pour nettoyer a fond la falaise :) 

Ah d'accord! C'est vrai que ca ne m'etonne pas d'entendre que c'est surtout les locaux. 

Max Derème

CBN brachiopod pro-prep and post-prep. I'm rather pleased with it :)

Before

IMG_7929.JPG

IMG_7928.JPG

IMG_7930.JPG

Max Derème

After

IMG_8502.JPG

IMG_8503.JPG

IMG_8504.JPG

Max Derème

How did you prepped your brachiopods? With vinegar or the traditionnal manual/pinvise way?

~~~~~~~~~~~~〇~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warmest greetings from Kumamoto、 Japan

20 hours ago, David in Japan said:

How did you prep your brachiopods? With vinegar or the traditionnal manual/pinvise way?

Using a simple metal pick (made for fossil prepping):

dubbele_prepareernaald_lang.jpg.850b4f8bc22514845b4009ad85a7b7b3.jpg

And also a small dust blower and a hobby knife. 

No vinegar (or any other chemical) used for these two :) 

The matrix is some kind of soft clay, which goes away very easily. 

Max Derème

1 hour ago, Monica said:

Nice prep job, Max!  :dinothumb:

Thanks Monica! It was rather easy though, only took me about an hour in total, with no challenges to go through. 

Max Derème