Miocene_Mason

Was hoping to get out to a Carboniferous site yesterday, but life got in the way and I had only enough time for a Brownies Hunt (not a bad plan B.). This will likely be one of my last trips to Brownies till the fall, and I’m kinda sad because I’ve grown to like Chesapeake beach and brownies. crazy prices and crowds during the summer However, greener pastures lay ahead this summer.

First, I had to take the route 4 this time, so at the county line I saw Jim (AKA the Shark Tooth Guy) whom some here may know, peddling his fossils. I stopped to say "Hi", and bought an Ecphora Quadricostata. Really, the best part is the tips and tricks he provides. Below are some pictures of his wares. For some reason I missed most of the megs in the photos (sorry, was pressed for time)

7574CBA6-ADC2-49A0-BE2B-0256DDAFA55F.jpeg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

864CFC67-615D-4E96-9179-517062C52A81.jpeg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

16F00CF3-C6E5-4424-B81C-D748BAFF2B94.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

FE39687C-2C49-4F13-9D72-C599B2E13921.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Apparently he’s out most fridays and weekends. Hope to see him again.

Happy hunting,

Mason

Soon I got to brownies at about 6. Beautiful day, tide was coming out. My schedule seems to want to prevent me from going at any point other than high tide so it was refreshing to have some beach to look at. The parking lot was completely filled, mostly with Beach goers. As I walked out to the point there were kids with shovels digging in the cliff, and not even the good part! I told them and there parents that I strongly advise not to do that, seeing as a few tons of sand was teetering above their heads. Though they said they’d tell them to stop, my dad said they continued. There were a few dedicated hunters out, but enough fossils to go around. One person a bit older than myself was digging in the talus (which is legal). I asked him if he had any luck, and the answer was negative. I did find a lot of whale bones in the area, and have previously when there are holes there so I have a feeling most are just going for megs and tossing all the good stuff. Not that megs aren’t good stuff. I like when there’s new amateurs, and especially when they ask me questions. Had one woman ask me what color a Megalodon tooth was and if I had any tips on finding them. She non-chalantly pulled out of her bag a large cetecean vertebra. Where there is one vertebra, there must be many vertebrae! I found two caudal ones, not as good as the one I gave away last time but decent. I didn’t find any megs (that I know of) but you know how the saying goes, Mo’ megs Mo’ problems:)

So I saw a few big oysters, most couldn’t fit in my wader pocket but I got the biggest one I could for @Max-fossils, because I know he likes his oysters! I’ll have to clean it up a bit before I send it to you Max.

9358ED23-5C4B-4DEB-B6B9-5D71A8F5B7A1.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Within four feet of each other where the best finds of the day. I am tempted to think they are from the same exact animal but I know it is unlikely. A tiny but pretty Cow, and a equally tiny but rare Symphyseal Cow shark tooth! I just about fell over after picking it up (as some hunters around me may have seen). 

7CE41967-C64A-410F-A81A-C525FA21272F.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Think this might be my FOTM entry this month

BE713A9D-BE92-4618-9EFB-95F3FBAD48B4.jpeg

BC248CCC-51C9-4E5E-9F9D-DD195E6111C1.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Those two teeth are awesome especially the Symphyseal.   Very satisfying day when you can go home with those two gems.  Fortune sometimes smiles.

9 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Those two teeth are awesome especially the Symphyseal.   Very satisfying day when you can go home with those two gems.  Fortune sometimes smiles.

Thanks! I was very lucky, my skills are not yet as honed as some of the more experienced hunters.

14 minutes ago, Jazfossilator said:

Nice finds! And sounds like a good fun day :)

Thanks, ‘twas!

Has to do some work, gonna continue now with Part 2! First the two cows together

5018BB84-4432-4404-951E-B783AA4EAAE8.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

I just LOVE this hemi, just the color and the sheen. Fantastic. Just under an inch:wub:

3334A66B-5182-41E3-BE0D-7D472C327BE9.jpeg

DE0BDC42-0552-494D-BFD6-7B408B036CC9.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Other teeth, found some more but still going through them.

B2E5267A-777C-46A9-9438-D816D87DEB27.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

The cow above is the same one. A three cow day is something still in my dreams

Happy hunting,

Mason

Probable carcharhinus vert

4ABC1DA1-C8AE-442C-BB88-50E1D563FBA5.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

A Caudal vert, dolphin methinks

08F8B640-3B2F-4046-81CE-3C0BAE12E93F.jpeg

7CCE373E-38EB-4CEA-BEB9-9AE164D88F65.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

A vert with part of the neural foramen

D0092B1A-9325-4B5C-9B23-48B23A3F1EA6.jpeg

0E51859C-A2EC-4586-B2D4-BB111E0DFFA7.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Still have to look through and clean this stuff, you never you know what you’ve found at brownies until after you clean it!

33771DBB-BC34-4956-A997-2737A50C08B0.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

It started getting dark so we decide to leave. One last look across the beach showed an Ominous cloud, thundering off. That’s not the sun behind that tree

BD2D5273-D0B8-4B5C-BCFC-D6E596605B1F.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

As we drove home, we entered the thick of it before just south of Annapolis. Strangely, lightning struck at one second intervals. The rain and wind was hard enough to pull over to a side road. We decided we’d wait it out rather than going over a bridge ahead. Then it started to hail, dented our car a bit:(

4A214BC8-ADFA-4068-B8B8-B4ED7A4E040B.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Hopd everybody got out of the cliffs okay. I headed home after the storm let up a bit, though back home we were on tornado watch (strangely common, must have to do with our topography). On the bright side, more fossils exposed?

skip the next few pictures if you are  squeamish, nature time!

Forest is back to green

45104AB3-5434-4F0D-9FB3-4DE4F6EA4A78.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Many dead baby crabs, must be salinity fluctuations or something

238F47F6-3104-48E8-BB18-AE9E0B39FC62.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Don’t know what type of fish this is, must have been very surprised before it died.

C877063A-9E14-4869-A132-B6DF0781C9AD.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Big fish head, my foot is size 13 1/2. Vertabral column was not far away, which was interesting to see and compare to fossil relatives.

DED85791-F14A-4E16-B3C1-08C741F0D441.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Rather Zen

36C79DFC-D819-40E2-9A25-31D73A27F11F.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived