Unknown fossil from calvert cliffs maryland

Codydunmire

I'm new to this group so this is my first post and I hope I did this right. I found this fossil at Calvert Cliffs in Maryland and have no idea what it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

rps20180513_183511.jpg

rps20180513_183421.jpg

rps20180513_183236.jpg

rps20180513_183447.jpg

Looks a bit like wood but I really don’t know, very interesting look about it! Neat find, I’m curious as to what people will say

5 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Barnacle.

Yeah that’s probably it. If you clean off the front you can be sure it’s not a strange echnoid but I’m pretty confident @Al Dente got it.

• I found this Informative 2

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Yes, a barnacle fossil, like this one from Pinterest, from the same location.

Image result for calvert cliffs barnacle

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 minute ago, WhodamanHD said:

Yeah that’s probably it. If you clean off the front you can be sure it’s not a strange echnoid but I’m pretty confident @Al Dente got it.

How would I go about removing the material from the front of it with out damaging it. I'm very new to all of this

5 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Yes, a barnacle fossil, like this one from Pinterest, from the same location.

Image result for calvert cliffs barnacle

One of those is an abertella (forget species, only remember genus) echnoid bit.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

3 minutes ago, Codydunmire said:

How would I go about removing the material from the front of it with out damaging it. I'm very new to all of this

Using a tooth pick or better yet a dental pick, anything pointy and sharp. Just scrap the sand off, should be fairly crumbly. Just go slow and it will pop out beautifully. Good luck, be sure to show us the end results!

Happy hunting,

Mason

3 hours ago, Codydunmire said:

Welcome to TFF!

Nice barnicle.

You can try to pick the matrix and shell bits off of the fossil with a needle or dental pick.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

18 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

One of those is an abertella (forget species, only remember genus) echnoid bit.

aberti

• I found this Informative 1

26 minutes ago, Plax said:

aberti

Thanks!:1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

Happy hunting,

Mason

It's getting there knocked a lot of the extra material off of it but it's a lot harder to clean off than I thought it would be. 

20180514_180838.jpg