SunnySmilodon

Hey everyone! I found this particular tooth at Purse back in March and have had no luck IDing it. Any ideas?

I'm loving the colors on it though. The other side has an awesome dappled grey appearance. 

15262653858881940704057.jpg

Yeah that’s a hemi, must of been brought via anthropogenic means as purse is a Paleocene site with no hemis.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

9 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Yeah that’s a hemi, must of been brought via anthropogenic means as purse is a Paleocene site with no hemis.

I thought it may have been but the fact that purse doesn't have them was what threw me off. Thanks everybody!

On 5/14/2018 at 4:29 AM, WhodamanHD said:

I've found very rarely very worn Cretaceous teeth at Purse like Squalicorax that most likely washed downriver from upriver Cretaceous sites.  This Hemipristis contaminant tooth is an example of why researchers don't put a lot of scientific value on teeth found in float versus directly from a formation.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

2 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

I've found very rarely very worn Cretaceous teeth at Purse like Squalicorax that most likely washed downriver from upriver Cretaceous sites.  This Hemipristis contaminant tooth is an example of why researchers don't put a lot of scientific value on teeth found in float versus directly from a formation.

Marco Sr.

I guess that’s why it’s says ammonites can be found in the information sheet in front. That always confused me.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived