LiamL

I bought this interesting jaw which the seller said is a section of the upper croc jaw. 

He said it could be Elosuchus. What do you think?

This is from the kemkem beds.

I've lowed the size of the images so I can upload more.

2-min.jpeg

4-min.jpeg

5-min.jpeg

6-min.jpeg

7-min.jpeg

1-min.jpeg

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

Elosuchus is a commonly given name for Moroccan crocs, but there are 12 or more species of crocodiles from Kem Kem, based off what my supplier tells me. Many are not properly identified; there's no way to know which are truly Elosuchus.

I am interested to see what others have to say, but this jaw doesn't look like it's enough to diagnose a species.

• I found this Informative 2

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

6 minutes ago, -Andy- said:

Elosuchus is a commonly given name for Moroccan crocs, but there are 12 or more species of crocodiles from Kem Kem, based off what my supplier tells me. Many are not properly identified; there's no way to know which are truly Elosuchus.

I am interested to see what others have to say, but this jaw doesn't look like it's enough to diagnose a species.

Is it definitely a croc though?

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

Oh yes, the size, shape and pitting on the side is a good indication of it being croc.

• I found this Informative 1

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I agree. 

Croc but no idea which one, could be one of many. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Its a croc based on the pitting on the outside of the jaw.  Like Andy said with all of the species present some described but most not its very difficult to ID especially with no teeth.  Highly doubt its Elosuchus but could be juvenile.  Here is a picture of one.

Screenshot_20180514-065748.thumb.jpg.c5d41bf006e75535573e4c46c3640ef2.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Crocs have a mostly closed palate. Especially in the front of the mouth. This cannot be an upper jaw because if it was it would have an open palate.

So what you've got here is a lower left jaw (partial dentary) of a croc. The second photo is very informative. The meckelian fossa/groove can clearly be seen, which is a feature on the inside of the dentary. On the right in the same photo the symphysis is visible. This is where the two halves of the jaw meet. So by the looks you've got most of the front on this. And as the others indicated, the pitting on the outside of the jaw shows that this is from a croc.

I do not think this is Elosuchus. It doesn't match with the lower jaw of Elosuchus as the symphysis extends much further back in this animal. Due to the toothless part in the indentation near the front I don't think this can be an Elosuchus as the teeth should extend on that area and the tooth row should also be in a straighter line.

Elosuchus lower jaws can be seen here on the left.

Elosuchus_skull01.thumb.jpg.a8ff7473a85772adf1faa12aef246491.jpg

It's hard to tell, but it seems like Hamadasuchus might also not match. Hamadasuchus is number 2 in this image.

1-Bayomesasuchus-hernandezi-gen-et-sp-nov-autapomorphies-ie-da-diastema-between.png

I'm not sure what animal this is. but you're probably looking at a croc that has a snout that's much shorter than that of Elosuchus as the symphysis looks fairly standard. I don't know of any material that matches this. It's a croc's lower left jaw. But it's exact identity will likely have to be a mystery for the time being.

• I found this Informative 4

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite