Hunting/trip rucksacks

thelivingdead531

Hey everyone, I think this is the right place to post, but if not feel free to move it.

I don’t go collecting too often, but when I do I’m often burdened by the bag I carry (such as...my 5 year old’s Dino skeleton school backpack :ighappy:). I’m looking for recommendations for backpacks/rucksacks that are comfortable, weather resistant, durable, and won’t break the bank. I’m hoping this isn’t a unicorn description and such a thing actually exists on all levels. I’m open to any suggestions and recommendations. Thanks!

Let me know when you find such a bag. Lol I would to get one my self.

...I'm back.

My hydration pouch is long since gone ... bit I've had my small Camelbak pack for almost 2 decades. Sometimes paying a little extra and giving your gear some TLC will save you loads of money in the end. I don't see it giving up anytime soon and I am brutal with it in the field. It also carries my tools and small shovel. Food and liquid. 

Cheers,

Brett

PS. They are designed to stay out of your way, this makes them fantastic for long hikes with 'tight' spaces. 

Mine is also a Camelbak, I can't find a picture of my exact bag online but I have had over 100# of ammonites in it before. Still holding strong. Probably 10-15 years old. Ill keep searching to see if I can find a pic, otherwise Ill take one.

:doh!: I honestly don’t know why Camelbak never occurred to me, as we own several water bottles and my husband has quite a bit of military issue Camelbak supplies! They are a little pricey, but their quality is very high from my experience. I’m glad you guys mentioned that, thanks!

This is my tactical backpack, ordered through a Canadian military surplus company. Ran me (converting to your currency) 30ish pounds. It carries everything: hand pick, geo hammer, shale splitting hammer, 5 lb hand sledge, chisels, containers, snacks, additional water, paper towels, spray paint, sunblock, extra shirt/hat, and foil in just the main pouch. The two front-facing ones have bottled water, my iPad. The four(!) small side pouches carry glue, marking tape, cushioned containers, etc. It is designed to distribute load, so even with 50lbs+ of gear, it feels much lighter. It was designed for 2-3 day survival. It is definitely durable, semi-waterproof, with chest and waist straps. Dual zipper access to the main pouch, and all zippers are covered under material. I got it from camouflage.ca

IMG_4503.JPG

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

5 minutes ago, Kane said:

This is my tactical backpack, ordered through a Canadian military surplus company. Ran me (converting to your currency) 30ish pounds. It carries everything: hand pick, geo hammer, shale splitting hammer, 5 lb hand sledge, chisels, containers, snacks, additional water, paper towels, spray paint, sunblock, extra shirt/hat, and foil in just the main pouch. The two front-facing ones have bottled water, my iPad. The four(!) small side pouches carry glue, marking tape, cushioned containers, etc. It is designed to distribute load, so even with 50lbs+ of gear, it feels much lighter. It was designed for 2-3 day survival. It is definitely durable, semi-waterproof, with chest and waist straps. Dual zipper access to the main pouch, and all zippers are covered under material. I got it from camouflage.ca

IMG_4503.JPG

That sounds just like the unicorn I was looking for! Chest and waist straps are a must for me, and weight distribution is a big plus. I wouldn’t have a lot to carry on me at the moment, but I’m sure it’s subject to change in the future. Thank you for sharing!

3 minutes ago, thelivingdead531 said:

That sounds just like the unicorn I was looking for! Chest and waist straps are a must for me, and weight distribution is a big plus. I wouldn’t have a lot to carry on me at the moment, but I’m sure it’s subject to change in the future. Thank you for sharing!

I should say that shipping costs from that company may up the amount, but the takeaway here might be to consider the military surplus companies in the UK for something comparable! :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 minute ago, Kane said:

I should say that shipping costs from that company may up the amount, but the takeaway here might be to consider the military surplus companies in the UK for something comparable! :) 

Thank you, I will look into that! 

I guess if all else fails, I can just buy one of these bad boys to haul my gear. :rofl:

1D44B82F-C3E0-45B0-8F01-815915900CA8.jpeg

Yeah...but you could fit more than a few camels inside a C-130, Tidgy's Dad! :D

Of course...landing near some of the fossil sites might be an issue.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I use a camel. 

:doh!: I just now got the joke...geez it’s been a long Monday. 

Just now, Fruitbat said:

Yeah...but you could fit more than a few camels inside a C-130, Tidgy's Dad! :D

Of course...landing near some of the fossil sites might be an issue.

-Joe

Indeed. 

And i think the camels wouldn't like to get in the plane very much either. 

There would be trouble. 

Hmmmm, thinking about it, parachuting camels would be interesting. 

Image result for parachuting camels

Then there'd be no issue with the plane landing! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Well I have a son who is remarkably fit.  And yes it makes carrying everything so much easier; up to 200 lbs of material.:megdance:

13 hours ago, goatinformationist said:

... and he works for B-B-Q!

Of course he packs in a full size gas grill wherever we go and a 72 quart ice chest on the backpack as well.

Bags from a Military surplus are good like Kane wrote, there should be some in the UK

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I’m going to be looking up lots of military surplus sites in the near future. 

Speaking of bags in the UK...  one of my "Cheaper than dirt" catalogues offered brit munitions carrier vests from WWI for about 25$.  Heavy canvas and essentially two huge pockets, front and back connected at the shoulders.  Perfect if you don't fill it too full.  Don't remember what happened to CTD catalogues; might check on it.

And yes the grill and ice chest are part of the deal. 

I personally have gotten all my backpacks from way back in my dumpster diving days. They are nice perfectly functional packs that get thrown away when kids buy new ones for school. My favorite one is a pink  camouflage unit with two large compartments and two smaller ones.

I was wearing it walking along a roadside one day and a car went passed me honking and yelling out the window " YOU GO GIRL!"  

I know color doesn't define a person to a particular sexual orientation, so I wasn't bothered by it.

I just readjusted my skirt and kept walking.

Hi,

2 hours ago, caldigger said:

I just readjusted my skirt and kept walking.

:rofl:  :dinothumb:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Archived