TqB

This rather tasty, large graptolite just arrived after a surprise auction win. It's labelled Clonograptus rigidus Hall which seems reasonable though I'm always being caught out by these.

The location is given as 25km north of Zagora (should be OK?) but the age is given as Floian stage when I'm pretty sure it should be Tremadocian, probably Murrayi Zone.

( @Spongy Joe - I guess you've seen a lot like this... :) )

IMG_2922.thumb.jpg.574cf40cca711870c4d96df6fda562b7.jpg

IMG_2923.thumb.jpg.9636f3c099e8f5f5d52f7888a163e114.jpg

IMG_2924.thumb.jpg.f871d7104150c7e9b71819b029b5110f.jpg

Tarquin

The location and id seem right to me. 

The Zagora region is in the  Lower Ordovician and this could be from the Draa Valley area as that is just north of Zagora and is the right age. 

The exact age I"m not certain. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

4 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

The location and id seem right to me. 

The Zagora region is in the  Lower Ordovician and this could be from the Draa Valley are as that is just north of Zagora and is the right age. 

The exact age I"m not certain. 

Thanks, Adam, that's very helpful local knowledge. :)

Tarquin

Just now, TqB said:

Thanks, Adam, that's very helpful local knowledge. :)

:)

And it is a most incredibly beautiful piece, not seen one like it here. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Ooh, yes - I know that site (we call that area the 'graptolite plain', near the southern end of Jbel Tigzagzaouine), and yes, the location is good. The ID... that's trickier, since there is also Paradelograptus norwegicus, but having consulted my graptolithological other half, the thecae here do appear to be more Clonograptus than Paradelograptus (where they should be longer and more isolated). So, yes - that seems to be sound!

The age is indeed most likely to be Tremadocian, but the Fezouata does extend up into the Floian, and this species might just sneak into it... so it's hard to be certain, but Tremadocian is far more likely. The Paradelograptus would also be Tremadocian, incidentally.

11 hours ago, Fruitbat said:

That is a MAGNIFICENT graptolite!

-Joe

7 hours ago, goatinformationist said:

I have many good graptolite pieces.  This is amazing.

11 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

:)

And it is a most incredibly beautiful piece, not seen one like it here. 

Thanks, guys - couldn't believe I was the only bidder and I'm very pleased to have it as the centrepiece of my graptolite collection. :)

Tarquin

7 hours ago, Spongy Joe said:

Ooh, yes - I know that site (we call that area the 'graptolite plain', near the southern end of Jbel Tigzagzaouine), and yes, the location is good. The ID... that's trickier, since there is also Paradelograptus norwegicus, but having consulted my graptolithological other half, the thecae here do appear to be more Clonograptus than Paradelograptus (where they should be longer and more isolated). So, yes - that seems to be sound!

The age is indeed most likely to be Tremadocian, but the Fezouata does extend up into the Floian, and this species might just sneak into it... so it's hard to be certain, but Tremadocian is far more likely. The Paradelograptus would also be Tremadocian, incidentally.

Excellent, many thanks, Joe. I'd love to visit a graptolite plain but will probably have to make do with the Lake District this year. :) (Hoping for retiolitids...)

Tarquin

Never saw anything like this!!! Wonderful specimen. Thanks for showing it.

Mike

Ive seen a few graptolites over the years, but his one is most certainly a beauty!

RB

Dang TqB,  how many people can say "my graptolite collection"?  That makes you one in a million.  Kudos.

21 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Never saw anything like this!!! Wonderful specimen. Thanks for showing it.

Mike

21 hours ago, RJB said:

Ive seen a few graptolites over the years, but his one is most certainly a beauty!

RB

11 hours ago, Bone guy said:

That's a beauty. Nice detail. Congrats.

7 hours ago, goatinformationist said:

Dang TqB,  how many people can say "my graptolite collection"?  That makes you one in a million.  Kudos.

Thanks, guys, I'm very pleased to have had the chance to acquire it.

@goatinformationist - just a couple of drawers full but I'm hooked. Any fossil group will do that when you start looking at it. :)

Tarquin

30 minutes ago, TqB said:

Thanks, guys, I'm very pleased to have had the chance to acquire it.

@goatinformationist - just a couple of drawers full but I'm hooked. Any fossil group will do that when you start looking at it. :)

The other half approves. They really are a fascinating group, especially when you start trying to understand their ecology and biology as well... which is still largely unknown, with big questions unanswered. And as for the dendroids... they're almost as poorly known as sponges, with all that entails for the chance of new discoveries. The problem then is finding someone willing to write them up!

On 5/15/2018 at 1:04 AM, TqB said:

Thanks, guys - couldn't believe I was the only bidder and I'm very pleased to have it as the centrepiece of my graptolite collection. :)

Oh, you're the guy! I was watching it but let it pass me by. Whenever I forget about an item, someone else always gets it for a song!

Congrats. It looks even better than I recall it in the auction (your pics are better, obviously).

1 hour ago, Spongy Joe said:

The other half approves. They really are a fascinating group, especially when you start trying to understand their ecology and biology as well... which is still largely unknown, with big questions unanswered. And as for the dendroids... they're almost as poorly known as sponges, with all that entails for the chance of new discoveries. The problem then is finding someone willing to write them up!

:) I realise that meaningful ID and classification is difficult with much or most flattened material. My literature pile is growing and is nearly (but not quite) as daunting as the sponge stuff!

54 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

Oh, you're the guy! I was watching it but let it pass me by. Whenever I forget about an item, someone else always gets it for a song!

Congrats. It looks even better than I recall it in the auction (your pics are better, obviously).

He he! Well, I missed a beauty a while back and had to keep trying! :)

Tarquin

3 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Some guys have all the luck! What a fantastic aquisition!

Thanks, some compensation for my continued failure to find decent ammonites! :D

Tarquin

7 hours ago, Plantguy said:

What a fantastic addition to the collection! congrats! Regards, Chris 

Thanks, Chris!

Tarquin

Archived