Unknown Fossils From Flag Ponds Maryland

Codydunmire

I found these two things a few months ago and forgot about them in a zip lock bag until just now. One side is serrated about halfway down the rest of the sides seem smooth

rps20180514_185411.jpg

rps20180514_185357.jpg

rps20180514_185344.jpg

rps20180514_185330.jpg

Fish jaw piece I believe.

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Possibly a worn ray tail spine/barb section. The size seems about right. These are uncommon finds at the Calvert Cliffs. 

0D9E77F6-921B-4B7E-96B7-35126321B3D4.jpeg

The Hunt for the Hemipristine continues!

~Hoppe hunting!~

4 hours ago, HoppeHunting said:

Possibly a worn ray tail spine/barb section. The size seems about right. These are uncommon finds at the Calvert Cliffs. 

0D9E77F6-921B-4B7E-96B7-35126321B3D4.jpeg

I don't think it's a ray tail spine because I have found a few of those at flag ponds and know what they usually look like

rps20180515_114407.jpg

4 hours ago, Codydunmire said:

I don't think it's a ray tail spine because I have found a few of those at flag ponds and know what they usually look like

That's why I think it may be a worn barb. Fossils can look quite different when they've been worn down. This can be quite deceiving and make the identification process frustrating; I've had my fair share of worn down sharks teeth that I can't pinpoint to a species due to erosion. To me, it looks like a broken and worn down ray barb, but I could be wrong. 

The Hunt for the Hemipristine continues!

~Hoppe hunting!~

I would go with fish as the photo shows a curve that you would not expect in a barb and secondly the teeth look to protrude straight out rather than slope back.

Mike

The reason I’m thinking jaw is because it looks to have concave bits in between each raised bit, can you confirm this @Codydunmire?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

9 minutes ago, Mike from North Queensland said:

I would go with fish as the photo shows a curve that you would not expect in a barb and secondly the teeth look to protrude straight out rather than slope back.

Mike

I agree.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

43 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

The reason I’m thinking jaw is because it looks to have concave bits in between each raised bit, can you confirm this @Codydunmire?

From what i can tell it looks like there is a concave spot right between each raised spot these images might show it a little better. 

IMG_0158.JPG

IMG_01582.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

42 minutes ago, Codydunmire said:

From what i can tell it looks like there is a concave spot right between each raised spot these images might show it a little better. 

Yeah, that makes me confident we’ve got a fish jaw here.

Happy hunting,

Mason

4 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Yeah, that makes me confident we’ve got a fish jaw here.

Cool thank you very much

12 hours ago, Codydunmire said:

IMG_0158.JPG

This more recent photo looks less bony and more shelly than the previous photos. I'm thinking these are toothed hinges from some type of bivalve. Doesn't really look like a fish jaw to me.

• I found this Informative 4

I think I have to agree with Al Dente. There's something about that sheen, color, and flaking that is more mollusky than vertebratey.