Gracetk

Ordered a fossil book, so I am hoping to learn a little more about fossils.  Found this one in Walnut Creek in NW Austin, TX in Austin Chalk.  Split on what it it.  It is 7x8 cm.  Point I am interested in is 3 cm.

FB9BB0D4-76FF-4D3B-90B3-AEB4065A5799.jpeg

62D7B2CD-B863-43C8-9FB0-F5EAE360AA36.jpeg

B5D6D910-4EEF-49FA-BBAF-A93672FEF392.jpeg

C0C604AA-F9AD-49E6-8CB3-6C2F7AA8F369.jpeg

I like the name and it looks nifty.  Think I’ll have move farther afield than my little section of creek. Need to learn the fossil hunting basics first.  

Thanks for any help, much appreciated.

I think rudist is good id. 

Better than anything else i can think of. 

Nice find! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 hours ago, Gracetk said:

I like the name and it looks nifty.  Think I’ll have move farther afield than my little section of creek. Need to learn the fossil hunting basics first.  

Thanks for any help, much appreciated.

My pleasure. This happens to be one of the more difficult specimens in terms of identification, because they are sort of "weird" creatures to begin with when whole, and broken pieces can look like all sorts of things.   Keep looking, and you'll find some goodies that are a little easier to identify with your fossil books.  And please don't hesitate to post pics and questions here.  We like to help identify things :)

Yep, definitely a rudist. I have never seen one from the Austin Chalk. Nice find! Here is one I found in the older Edwards formation:

94FC049F-D765-4732-B143-55AB3B0040DD.jpeg.dd1d2d892c0020ddfef7f36507383970.jpeg

I am about half a mile away from Edwards Limestone Formation.  The creek runs through both sections.  It probably washed down in the creek.  Currently just walking creek bed after work because it is 90+ degrees in the sun.  At one point a town existed in the area, so I am sure quite a number of rocks were displaced.

4 hours ago, Gracetk said:

I am about half a mile away from Edwards Limestone Formation.  The creek runs through both sections.  It probably washed down in the creek.  Currently just walking creek bed after work because it is 90+ degrees in the sun.  At one point a town existed in the area, so I am sure quite a number of rocks were displaced.

That makes more sense. Your rock looks too crystalline to be chalk, much more like the Edwards formation with the red iron oxide washed away over time. That is why your’s is just the limestone color without any red like mine has.  

Those are rudists.
Nice find! :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived