Cepholopods and concretions of the Britton Formation

KimTexan

I am long overdue for a trip report considering I must have been to maybe a couple dozen places and hunted them since my last report.
I’ll just give you a report on a new place I’ve been hunting three times. Repeat hunting at the same place is rare for me unless it’s the NSR.
A couple weeks ago my daughter and I headed out to a spot in Collin County Texas that I had spotted on satalite images months ago that I had been wanting to check out. 
I had no idea what I’d find. I hadn’t looked up what formation would be there. I just knew it wasn’t the Austin Chalk of eastern Collin Co. Where I find next to nothing but clams. I found out the area was part of the Eagle Ford group. The formation was the Britton Formation.

The trouble with finding sites by satellite images is that you can’t tell if it’s private property, fenced off or has “No Trespassing” signs posted. When I got to the spot I’d marked on the map there was a fence and no access. I looked for another spot nearby and it also was fenced off. While driving looking for a third access point a turkey crossed the road in front of us at turtle or I guess it was turkey speed. It was surprising, because there were apartments across the road and it was a fairly busy area.
08F4E9F2-378D-424D-9021-01A46BEE3A4F.jpeg.3dd74313c654e0aed94905359b72c51a.jpeg
I did find an access point maybe a mile away. Yay!
I’d been planning on the trip all week and kept checking the weather for the rain forecast, because rain was in the forecast. My weather app said it would be in the low 70s all week. I thought that was nearly perfect hunting weather and was looking forward to the adventure of a new place and possibilities. 
Saturday came and it was no where near low 70s! I realized I’d had my weather app set to where my family lives in NW Arkansas for some reason. It was 90 degrees, not the low 70s that I had joyfully anticipated. 

There was a little dirt road/trail at the access point where I parked my car.
8DCDA342-3E32-4DBA-AF3C-B10C6E8639E7.jpeg.16840d25cfdc40cf27e2022528f47cd4.jpeg
The road ran all the way to the designated hunting spot. I am not adventurous with my car though. I baby my car and treat her well almost any way I can, except I do load her with rocks and dirt, but she gets pretty regular baths and vacuumings. 
I’m glad I didn’t venture down the road in my car. The road ran along the edge of a ravine that dropped off quickly to one side. There was a steep embankment rising up on the other side. Along the road there were the remains of 2 mudslides that had occurred taking out the road in both places. There was no place to turn around either so if I’d gone I would have had to back out about 0.2 miles.
I did check out the exposed material from the mud slides. The mud slide ended in a creek. The creekbed had a lot of layers exposed.
09B54648-5BAB-408E-A6BD-457D4302A70D.jpeg.2945b6c01e14e9fc35943cd8d36910e1.jpeg
The only thing I found was a variety of oyster that is new to me, but looked like it was from the Pleistocene or at least more recent than Cretaceous. I saw them along the road as well, but not in the part of the creekbed where I hunted.

The road ended at a creek. Unlike many of the creeks I’ve been to in North Central Texas the access down into the creek was pretty easy at this particular point. The banks elsewhere along the creek were often steep hand high though.
Traversing the creek was a different matter where the water was and where the soil was wet. It was the type of mud you sink can sink in.

We got past the mud without sinking in it on the way into the place we were going to hunt. We headed up the creek. It opened up into a wide area where the actual stream trickled along the south side of the creek, leaving a wide open area that was largely free of vegetation. Where the ground was dry it was a soft flaky, and even powdery light gray clay in places. It was almost like bentonite.

75D76A9E-7A19-46F5-9152-2F7249018D9E.jpeg.c7f39d4fe692e80b479ffd30aab5da2f.jpeg

There were thin, flat and usually smooth, brick red concretions here and there in the creekbed that were coming from a sheet like layer 2-4 feet above the bed. The layer was in the bed in other places. There were multiple layers of red/orange concretions. 
892E4CD4-6500-49AA-8755-BF42FD178A9D.jpeg.27fe7251c3523d12972577536375b2a5.jpeg
Most of the concretion material was thin (1/2 inch) and flat and smooth. There were concretions that were irregular shaped, bumpy or bulbous. 
At first I took no notice of the concretions. There are ones that appear similar in the NSR, but nothing much comes out of them, but occasionally you’ll get something really good. So I thought these concretions were of similar nature. 
We walked along. There were numerous fragments of small baculites that averaged the diameter of a pencil and were 1/2 to 2 inches long. 
25DEC297-A43A-4022-AC33-E7872FB2DECB.jpeg.2413ef458cf25b1f014ccdddb1da0df5.jpeg
We came upon a concretion, which had split in two. It looked different so I picked it up to inspect it. To my surprise is was covered with little baculites! Squeal!! That’s my expression for excitement and delight. Later at home I realized it had at least 4 genus of cephalopods in it! 
B64153B9-741D-4AAD-B91D-E9A5C0A92A1C.jpeg.a5851e95f95ca4bce3e0123c07b247ef.jpeg
I began to eye every concretion  because I now understood that all the fossils were either in concretions or eroded out of them. I began to find more fossils now that I knew how to look for them.
There were patches of whitish gray tidbits of stuff that appeared to have washed out of a different type and color of concretion of some sort, but I never saw where they were originating from. They were clusters of white fossils here and there. They were in a white clay like material. They kind of looked like coral or something. They were small, but look interesting. I haven’t taken the time to clean any of them to what is in them.

83BB79FE-5B03-4CFB-BCA8-88DED1880A16.jpeg.5109efdbb4489eaff9a0afc8a2825b27.jpeg
We were only there about 30 minutes and my daughter, Gigi (short for Gisselle) started hinting at going home. She’s not the biggest lover of fossil hunting. Also, it was 90 degrees outside and she can’t take the heat very well. A few years ago she fainted on the playground at school from heat/sun stroke and she hasn’t taken heat very well since. We hunted 10 minutes more. 
While out hunting I came across this. It is a little over 2 feet across. You can see it on the right of the pic above of the red concretion layer and see how it stands out from everything else. It was very weathered though.
99C8ECAA-86D0-4D69-996E-358963AB667B.jpeg.891ebd9731c985a8601a30271c83376a.jpeg
Initially I thought it could be the remnants of an ammonite or something. I had no idea. I picked up one of the concretions, but didn’t see anything. It was pretty flat too and I doubted much could be inside so I left it. Over the next couple days I kept thinking about how I wanted to be certain about it. It went from large to small. So it wasn’t just random. So I planned to return before the end of the week, because we were expecting rain.
There was quite a lot of evidence that raccoons frequented the creek. Piles of fish bones lay here and there. I found some pre-coprolite (scat) material left by raccoons.
I thought the fish bones looked kind of cool. We see a lot of fish vertebra around these parts, but they’re usually only the central disk.
44690572-E205-49D8-9794-E3F9D0E10985.jpeg.d8c132f0165d4a815ef8bd1b5e58c2b5.jpeg
It’s a good example of what some coprolites looked like before fossilization. There were fish bones and crawfish (crustacean) parts in the scat. 
50A98300-B4B7-4B3C-B1C4-76065CA32919.jpeg.f76ebfdbcc15780981c55c6c9ec2c891.jpeg

I could tell my daughter was getting worn out by the heat. There wasn’t much shade in the area. I found a mesquite tree on the bank. We sat in the meager shade it offered, very thankful for the little it did give. We drank some Gatorade and rested a few minutes. Mesquites are not the best shade trees because they have very slender leaves and the foliage isn’t dense. Here’s a pic of mesquite leaves. 
6ECAABD0-35D0-4C5C-884B-F77AD968C0DD.jpeg.4a09a9195709ef68478f00ed4d021f82.jpeg
I left her and my bag sitting in the shade for a bit and hunted nearby. I found more of the same. I found some fat little concretions that made me curious. So I picked them up to take home.
In all I found the oysters that aren’t Cretaceous, and numerous clam fragments of at least 2 kinds, both Inoceramus genus I believe. Some fragments still had bits of the original shell present. They were a deep reddish brown.

96A8995F-C105-4EE1-82B6-4B8B9518109E.jpeg.f29e8422bda486c40c7a55d973b2e592.jpeg
I also found a cool impression of an ammonite that looked a bit like Botticelli’s Birth of Venus clam shell or a soap dish. Sorry Botticelli for the soap dish analogy. 
There’s a clam I had found just above it.
43BCD6ED-60B9-446C-9D8F-6ED029FE7C59.jpeg.92863c1d3ff252281400c7f8327d27b3.jpeg
I found the fragmented remains of another ammonite.
55C1E13A-0C66-4EBF-9343-0BAD0812A239.jpeg.0c8060a40afb10a20ef35b3d73dfd881.jpeg
I found 4-5 of the baculite hash plates
A couple were quite small though. One plate I picked up because of the large clam fossil on the top side. When I turned it over the other side was covered with baculites! I also found many baculite fragments all over the place. It is a rare thing for baculites to be the most frequent fossil found, but that was the case there. The place was winning me over one baculite piece at a time.

Gigi got up and came over carrying my bag, ready to go. I told her I’d finish hunting this one patch of concretions and then we’d go.
I split my last Gatorade with her for the trip out and rearranged our bags. I hadn’t come well prepared. My small collection bags were still full of fossils from my last trip so were were using plastic grocery bags that weren’t holding up well.

I was certain there were more types of fossils to be found. I knew this was going to be a repeat local. Very few locals do I ever return to. Even if I came away with a good haul. A place has to hold the promise of further discovery of more treasure yet undiscovered for me to return again. The treasure is usually better quality or diversity of genus or species. Sometimes it is the trill of the adventure I have or how much of a challenge the place was for me. The NSR is my #1 favorite for the adventure and the treasure diversity as well as challenge. I don’t think it could ever get old for me unless it were to be developed or something.

I do take family, friends or other people who are visiting to hunt at places I thought were good, but didn’t hold the allure for a 2nd personal trip.

On my return trip out of the creek one of my feet sunk down in the mud about 8 inches. When I tried to pull my foot out my boot stayed. Needless to say I got quite muddy. My daughter got out unscathed by the mud.

I’ve a wonderful daughter that is the greatest delight to be around. We were walking back to the car, I had mud all over me, I’m soaking wet with perspiration, it’s running down my face, my hair was pulled back to get it out of my face while collecting and it was matted down with sweat. My face was red from the heat.
We stop in the shade of a large tree along the road for a short rest. She turns and looks at me and says “Mom, you’re so beautiful!” I’m thinking I look a pathetic mess, but she just sees beauty. I love that about her. She is such a blessing and delight to me.

She has been that way since she could talk. She sees beauty in everyone. It’s like she has people specific rose colored glasses. She sees past the physical form of a person and to the beauty within, but within her eyes it translates to physical beauty somehow too, no matter how uncomely someone may be outwardly, she still sees beauty. It’s beautiful to see people and the world through her eyes. 

We finished walking back to the car and headed to Braum’s. It’s an ice cream, burger and fries kind of place with real ice cream, not just the soft serve. I always get mint chocolate chip ice cream and she gets chocolate. I have to sweeten the fossil hunting trip with something to make it worth it. So we always get ice cream after every fossil hunting trip. We went through the drive through of course since I was covered in mud and looking . . . “Beautiful” as Gigi said.

I went back to the location 2 more times the same week. I’ll post stuff from the other trip.

F40E6C72-7B3B-4E90-9795-6D69E1DC99F3.jpeg

Oops forgot to mention the killdeer nest in the middle of the concretions. I thought it looked cool.

It does look cool! :)

Very interesting report as usual and those baculites nodules are great. 

Some of the other stuff is very interesting and intriguing too! 

Look forward to seeing the next part! :popcorn:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Looks like you found a sweet outcrop of the Britton Formation.  The baculitids are Sciponoceras gracile, a zone marker for the early Cenomanian if I recall correctly.  The Britton is one of my favorite formations, as it is a great source of a variety of ammonites and decapods (crabs and lobsters/shrimp).

Don

Nice report glad you had a good time.:)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Nice site! I always like to see Britton fossils. There is such a wide variety in it.

37 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Looks like you found a sweet outcrop of the Britton Formation.  The baculitids are Sciponoceras gracile, a zone marker for the early Cenomanian if I recall correctly.  The Britton is one of my favorite formations, as it is a great source of a variety of ammonites and decapods (crabs and lobsters/shrimp).

Don

No spoilers. I'm getting there.

Interesting how the killdeer will lay their eggs right out in the open among the rocks. Their babies are the cutest.

Glad to hear and see you had a good hunt.  Looking forward to more photos from here.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

Great report! Nothing like doing a little exploring and coming back with some smashing fossils!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

9 hours ago, KimTexan said:

began to find more fossils now that I knew how to look for them.

Hey Kim, you can be an expert fossil hunter, and then go to a new site and have to learn again what to look for.  Nice report.

RB

13 hours ago, RJB said:

Hey Kim, you can be an expert fossil hunter, and then go to a new site and have to learn again what to look for.  Nice report.

RB

I so get that. The same formation may present a completely different way. Each location has to be figured out. I had been hunting at a particular place two times. Back in November I took a more experienced fossil hunter than I and watched how he hunted the place. I learned a lot and found completely different and better fossils than I had found there the two previous times, just watching how he hunted the place. He had not even been at the local before, but he had hunted similar places and just knew how to hunt.

The NSR is one of my favorite place to hunt. I have been there many times, but I am still trying to figure the place out. That place will be teaching me its secrets for years to come.

Bigger hats and more water next time please. No such day as what you were expecting in Texas this time of year.

Okay, and maybe I squealed a little bit too when I saw your hash plates.

Great reporting, thanks.

I kept looking at the pic of the circular concretions and I had a burning curiosity to go back out there. Also, when I had set foot in the creek the time before I had seen and embankment down the creek that looked really interesting, which I wanted to checkout, but ended up leaving before I reached it due to the heat. 

There was rain in the forecast for Wednesday night that week, so I determined that I needed to go back out during the week. I headed there after picking up my daughter and going to the regularly scheduled visit to Braum's on Wednesday after school for ice cream with my kids. Wednesday is ice cream day. We have been going every Wednesday for a few years now. Wednesday is my daughter's favorite day of the week due to ice cream and time with her mom and brother.

Anyway, I headed out there and arrived around 6:00 PM. I had never made it home so I was still in my scrubs, but I had my favorite boots in my trunk. I put my boots on and took the road out to the creek. I got to the place where I had sunk in the mud last time. I thought I knew where to step so as to not have another M&M (muddy moment). It had been 4 days since I was there and it had been hot and dry so I thought the mud would be less. Boy was I wrong. I took my first step to cross the little stream of water and started to sink. If you saw my post about my boots, sorry for the duplication, but I'll repost part of it here.

You have to look closely at the middle right hole in the mud, but here is my boot sunk in the mud. It is obviously without my foot in it after I tried to pull my foot out and the boot stayed. You can see my previous step above it.

27C9FF1E-9B6D-4725-A4CB-05B19360D36A.thumb.jpeg.2a893888d826f6f5d8743dad2448b353.jpeg

I intentionally left my other foot in place for the photo. You can’t even tell, but the foot that’s still in the boot is completely covered and sunk in the mud about 10 inches deep. My leg and where the side of my foot and boot would be are in the pic, but all you can see is mud. I love the adventure of it!!! I think it’s so fun to go out and do stuff like that. Yep, I’m a little crazy in love with nature and the outdoors. I’m out there by myself laughing out loud at how comical a sight I must be and loving every minute of it.

Anyway, I pulled my boot and other foot out of the mud. My other sock was covered in mud too. I didn't want to put it in the boot so I took my sock off and put it in my bag. You could say I started off on the wrong foot in the mud, but I was not deterred. 

I went to the spot where the circle of concretions was. I couldn't see anything. They were so weathered and flat if anything had been there it was weathered away. Since I was there I decided to check out the area some more. As if I wouldn't!

I walked around picking up interesting concretions and more baculite fragments. Then I came upon this little ammonite. Squeal! I was so excited to find an ammonite out there. I'd seen a number of fragments, but they were so fragmented you couldn't tell what they were. I kind of think it looks like a Menabites danei, but I don't think the Britton has Menabites. I think the Britton has possibly 5 species of Metoicoceras irwini, M. whitei and M. gibbosum, and Placenticeras  but I have never seen a Metoicoceras and need to work on figuring out which it may be. I have worked on removing the concretion matrix and have made some progress, but it needs more work still. The other side looks to be in very good condition from what I can see. It appears to still has the shell on it.

IMG_7347.jpg.8f7f99c3d28b71ad27a3de0a92d99cb4.jpg

It appears to have pyrite disease or something. The center of it has eroded away on one side at least. Not sure about the other side yet since it is covered in matrix still.

IMG_7350.jpg.17aeb4fc126c3fe539d8f3c2412a4f2e.jpg

I looked around a bit more and found more interesting concretions that I put into my bag. I suspected they had something inside of them.

I also found this fragment of a larger ammonite, probably one of the species of Metoicoceras  ammonites.

IMG_7353.jpg.e86125ebca35fd4ce09c32b2bc9aec31.jpg

Many of the concretion were covered with a thick layer of grayish white precipitated looking substance. Some just looked like a film, but I found a few where you could see the crystallization. I believe it is calcite. I thought it was pretty cool looking. This is a zoomed in shot.

5afb8fe31625c_IMG_7726281.thumb.jpg.6627b214a63ba22c3b4beafab9d56ab0.jpg

I found a few more clam fragments as well. This is one of them with parts of both valves side by side still attached.

IMG_7388.jpg.1c31a54b6f69c1a38806b53cfe69d20e.jpg

Rain was forecasted for the evening. Initially it was very calm with an occasional breeze, but it was almost 8:00 then all of a sudden there was a strong gust of wind. I was preoccupied with the stuff I was seeing, but then the gust turned into a sustained strong wind and I could hear thunder off in some dark clouds that were headed my direction. I began to pick my way back. Thunderstorms can get nasty around these parts. I have watched straight-line winds blow down trees in my yard and other places old oak trees, because of the severity of the winds. I did not want to be out there in that kind of wind. Also, I did not want to be out in the rain. The creeks are known for their flash floods in the area. The clay doesn't adsorb the water so the water accumulates rapidly. Plus it would be sunset in about 30 minutes and I didn't want to be out in the dark.

I made my way through the mud without incident and out of the creek and up onto the road. If you remember there was an embankment on one side. It blocked the wind so that I couldn't even tell that it was blowing, but I knew it would rain soon so I needed to get back to my car. However, I got distracted taking pictures of flowers and the scenery. Plus my bag was heavy and taking pics helped me have a rest from my bag. Here are a few of the scenery shots I took. Some I took on the way in too, but thought I'd save them for the last for those who don't enjoy the scenery as much as the fossils.

I am not sure how I got this effect with the tree, but if you look at the top of the tree there is a shadow image of the tree over the top of the tree. The tree is perched on the edge of a creek and the roots are eroded. I thought it looked kind of cool.

IMG_7331.jpg.ce8fcb747148b0685643cdb39bc8df2e.jpg

It is basically summer here. It is getting hot and staying that way, but we still have flowers blooming. Many are quite small. I don't know what this is, but it looks a bit like baby's breath.

IMG_7366.jpg.b26d589de072702a41644a79c4f2dd45.jpg

Not sure what this is, but I recently spent a long time pulling a bunch of it up out of my yard. It didn't have the flowers on it though.

IMG_7371.jpg.aec16b16839eeb9259976c5e8202ee0e.jpg

Some of the wild garlic that is in bloom.

IMG_7384.jpg.178e0fd0fb10790527bb821acb01c806.jpg

Some yellow daisy type flower. It has a spider web on it, but I didn't get the spider focused.

IMG_7375.jpg.a4d5b40ac415ca05b2e4747f885adecf.jpg

The yuccas are in bloom. This one had a single spike. Another had 2 spikes with the flowers opening up.

IMG_7360.jpg.362efb62a6d44bacc0bf6b25ac38f2f5.jpg

IMG_7358.jpg.3aab85b8de97eb0c6ef95de143b8736e.jpg

I made it back to my car just in time. It started sprinkling after I got in my car. I headed home and began working to remove the matrix from the ammonite.

I had been in touch with @Fruitbat aka Joe. We had met for dinner earlier in the week. I have him some of my carboniferous plant stuff that I had found. We agreed to go hunting on Saturday. I'll post that trip next.

Sorry there are not more fossils. I think they are all trapped in the concretions.

If anyone has some suggestions on how to remove the  matrix more quickly please let me know. I'd love to just dip them in something and be done with matrix removal. I can dream about it.

IMG_7335.jpg

I'm envious that you have yourself a nice exposure of the Britton to collect.  I said before that it is one of my favorite formations, which is true despite the fact that I got to collect it only once, at the Lewisville Dam spillway, and that was only for two hours and under the constant surveillance of a rather bored Army Corps of Engineers guy.  I also won an auction of Britton material from Boneman a few years ago.  I have wondered the same thing as you, about how to clean that ironstone concretion off the fossils.  The only thing that sort of worked for me was to use an Exacto knife or scalpel and slowly scrape/flake off the matrix.  Boneman actually sent me an Exacto knife with my auction winnings, and it was clear he didn't have any other tricks to suggest.  I found one specimen of a very spiny ammonite encased in ironstone, and I am waiting until I have a proper set of pneumatic chisels and air abrasive before I try to clean that one.  I agree it would be wonderful to have some magic solution that would dissolve the concretion and leave the fossil, but if that exists I don't know about it.

Don

Very cool!, Kim. The blue flower is a gentian, I believe. Beautiful place.

14 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

The only thing that sort of worked for me was to use an Exacto knife or scalpel and slowly scrape/flake off the matrix.  Boneman actually sent me an Exacto knife with my auction winnings, and it was clear he didn't have any other tricks to suggest.  I found one specimen of a very spiny ammonite encased in ironstone, and I am waiting until I have a proper set of pneumatic chisels and air abrasive before I try to clean that one.  I agree it would be wonderful to have some magic solution that would dissolve the concretion and leave the fossil, but if that exists I don't know about it.

Don

The spiny ammonite sounds very intriguing!! Do you know what kind it is? Was that a personal find? How big is it? Would you be willing to share a pic? That way I’ll know what to look for when I’m out there. 

I have a set of diamond coated Dremel saw blades for my rotary Dremel tool. I use them for cutting rocks to get most of the stuff off before I start using my other tools. 

I also have a set of stainless steal carving tools and a set of sharp tipped picks that I got from Harbor Freight, both combined for under $9.00. Sometimes I use my diamond tipped bit set to take off matrix when it’s too hard for the other tools. I use them manually or with the Dremel. I found a set of 50 on Amazon for $16. Some are very tiny and fine engraving tips that work well for fine detail on my echinoids. I’m sure a pneumatic air abrasive type tool would work better though.

Gotta go my lunch is up.

11 hours ago, Monica said:

Great finds, Kim!  Love the Baculites :wub::wub::wub:

One of the fragments I found has a beautiful coppery to dark bronze patina to it. This picture doesn’t do it justice. It makes it look a lot lighter and silver almost, but it is copper like with the mother of pearl or ammolite appearance in copper.

If you’re ever in Dallas look me up and I’ll try to take you out hunting for baculites.

D21B8124-F068-4EE7-9844-D9D69A8CE173.jpeg

5 hours ago, Innocentx said:

Very cool!, Kim. The blue flower is a gentian, I believe. Beautiful place.

Thank you. Thanks for the flower name too.

I will look it up in my native flowers of Texas book. I have 2 of the books. The larger, more extensive book is still packed in a box somewhere since I moved.

I don’t have enough bookshelves to unpack all my books. I need taller bookshelves or another one. Before I moved I had books stacked 2 deep on one of my bookshelves. I didn’t want to go back to that. I worked in a library 2 different times. So I love books especially reference, science and natural history type reference books.

Nice bit of nacre on that last baculite.

Archived